1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Speakers to go with???

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by flyby08, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Dec 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    flyby08

flyby08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 short bed
    TRD Catback exhaust, Topdeck tonnaeu cover, locking gas cap, all weather floor mats, Pop-n-lock tailgate, painted black rims, volant CAI with RAM air scoop, 10" MTX thunder sub with 2ch amp, Alpine SPS-609 and 600, Pioneer AVHP-3200BT HU
    Hey everyone,

I recently posted about some work i did on my truck this past weekend, which included adding Pioneer AVH-P3200BT and MTX thunder series amp and 10" sub. The step i was looking in doing was to add speakers and currently I have these two in mind.

Alpine
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS600C/Alpine-SPS-600C.html?tp=105

Pioneer
    http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130TSD1602/Pioneer-TS-D1602R.html?tp=105

I was wondering if people with experience with these can chime in or any others that people like in the $150-$250 range. Also the benefits of coaxial or component (Components sounded a little "tin" like, but that was the store and i don't know how they would be in truck). Lastly would you recommend these get an amp or would i need much higher wattage speakers before i even think of any amp.

thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

2. Dec 23, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    EAR28

EAR28 Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Silver Truck
    I'd chose the Alpine Type S but I'm partial to Alpine, I have type R's in my Tacoma and they sound great.

I have components up front and coax as my rear speakers. It seems like a good set up, and on the question of amp vs. no amp. running an amp on a speaker will always sound better that running it straight from the head unit. It'll clean up the sound and you can limit the frequencies to help prevent distortion.

3. Dec 23, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    flyby08

Member:
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback exhaust, Topdeck tonnaeu cover, locking gas cap, all weather floor mats, Pop-n-lock tailgate, painted black rims, volant CAI with RAM air scoop, 10" MTX thunder sub with 2ch amp, Alpine SPS-609 and 600, Pioneer AVHP-3200BT HU
    Thanks for the info, i was also looking at the type R they get a lot of good reviews. I will probably find out more on this when i choose what to go with, but did you have any issues with tweeters in the factory mounts? and how about the fitting the crossover in the door. Once again thanks.

4. Dec 24, 2010 at 1:07 AM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    when i changed my front component speakers out i had to modify the tweeter bracket. fortunitly my tweeters actually fit in the toyota bracket, all i had to do was take the factory tweeter out of it and cut the bracket a little bigger. a little time consuming but not that hard .

5. Dec 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    mrmumbels

mrmumbels Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land O Lakes, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner
    none
    I'm loving my type r's, got the 17refs the other day

6. Dec 25, 2010 at 12:18 AM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    hertz deici shit on alpine type R. less expensive, too.

7. Dec 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    Alpine all the way, nothing better IMO

8. Dec 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    x2
    :cool:

I'm running Alpine Type-S Speakers all around - no complaints
    :burnrubber:

9. Dec 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    EAR28

EAR28 Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Silver Truck
    I didn't use the factory tweeter mounts, I bought some aftermarket mounts that were part of the set for components. I can't remember where I bought them from but I know that *********.com sells them. But even with the new mount the tweeter are a tight fit, my door panel screens are poking out a little bit.

As far as the crossovers in the door, there's plenty of space in there, I have a crossover and two DEI window modules in the drivers door.

10. Dec 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    mrmumbels

Member:
    Land O Lakes, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner
    none
    Or just grab some tupperware tops like I did and cut them the shape of the old tweeters. Cut out a hole the size of the new tweeters and sandwich them in with the parts that came with them. There's really no need to pay for them if you don't have to.

11. Dec 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    flyby08

Member:
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    So i got a little surprise for Christmas, speakers :eek:. I didn't expect that at all; ended up receiving a set of Alpine Type S 6.5" coaxial and alpine SPS-609 which are 6x9 for the fronts. I have checked the top mount depth on the SPS-609 and i believe they should fit, even though Crutchfield says they don't.

NOW i must ask you guys out there (b/c this is something i didn't consider) how will 6x9 sound considering the fact I install a sub? Most systems that i have seen run 6.5 all round with a sub or 6x9 in front and 6.5 in the rear in lieu of installing a sub. My concern is if i install the 6x9 and the sub there will be to much low end and not enough high. I have not seen this set up in this truck but I will start looking again in case I missed one. once again thank you for any input you all can provide.

I am now going to look to buy speaker mounts and an amp(i think i know what i want). Anyone know if Mr. Marv is back in business. (thank you mrmumbels i need to learn to write)

12. Dec 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    mrmumbels

Member:
    Land O Lakes, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner
    none
    Might wanna rewrite that :)

Products Discussed in

To Top