1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which suspension to get (tailored to my Tacoma)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by c0b2a, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Nov 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM
    c0b2a

c0b2a [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok first off let me just say that I hated making this thread because there is about a billion of them, and trust me I have searched and read and researched for months. It is now getting down to the wire where I will have to make up my mind and as money doesn't exactly appear in large quantities to me I want to be sure about my purchase. I get home from this deployment within the next 2 months which means I should be ordering all the parts within the next month.

Budget: I will say an even $2000 but if I can stay under it without a loss in performance that would be best. I will be doing the install myself for the most part so the $2000 really is for parts alone.

I have a 2008 TRD Off-road Double Cab, it has a ARB bumper, with a wench eventually to be purchased and put on.
    I want a good 2.5 to 3 inch lift with great performance.

This is my daily driver, also a part time weekend trail blazer. I tow a 19' wake boarding boat during the summer, but not enough to justify any change for extra towing performance.

My driving style really is fast, I have a led foot. When I do drive off road, its really just a little rock crawling with quite a bit of fast driving rough terrain.

Ok now that I think I have covered my basis on what I am looking for, I have already decided on Total Chaos UCA's. They seem to be hands down the most recommended UCA's out there.

Up to this point I have been pretty set on OME 886 kit, with the full Daker leafs in the rear. (886 because of the double cab weight and ARB bumper)

So, here I lay out the real question: Is OME the right choice for what I am looking for, or should I turn my attention toward FOX or another higher end Brand? (I say higher end because of normal reputation through out the off-road world) If that is the case, Should I be waiting a bit longer and saving so that I can put a little more money toward something better? Or is the extra money not going to impress me so much more than its worth spending.

Alright thanks people. And again sorry that there is another damn thread on Tacoma world titled which suspension blah blah.

Here is how the Truck sits currently, with something extra to make this thread actually better than others with the same theme haha
    [​IMG]

2. Nov 27, 2011 at 12:53 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4> 03 SR5 4x4 total> 14 Crewmax TRD
    Had tons on the Taco's.... new truck is pretty stock
    OME 886/struts sounds really good for most your use, but may leave you wanting more if you really mob the truck offroad. Some Icon extended travel CO's would be the next step up from there IMO, of course thats if you want to fork out the extra cash. The OME dakars are pretty stiff when empty(stiffer than a TSB leaf pack with an AAL) so just know that and expect it with them. Dont forget rear shocks as well. OME's are good, but with other shocks like resi fox's you could get better travel and overall performance, plus the fox rears have a compression adjustment knob for on the fly adjustments.

3. Nov 27, 2011 at 1:05 AM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    what truck?

:anonymous:

4. Nov 27, 2011 at 1:57 AM
    gtdad66

gtdad66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Mid GA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front window tint, Top Line Bed extender, window vents shades, bug deflector, tool box, Magnaflow full catback exhaust, K&N air filter, weather tech floor liners front and rear, cargo bed divider.
    Subed

5. Nov 27, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    c0b2a

Member:

Which FOX rears would you recommend?

6. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    cooper98

cooper98 Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    is that truck stock ? If so do you have any problems with the arb bumper and how it rides?

7. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4, V6, 5spd
    Squattin'
    Nice legs.... that is all. :anonymous:

8. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    Phuket

Phuket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    03 4X4 TRD
    Eibach/Toytec coils, bilstein 5100's all around, Kenwood DNX7100 Navigation
  9. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    c0b2a

Member:
    I went for it today, ended up ordering the OME front and rear shocks with 886 coils and an AAL from Toytec. Also got some Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, and extended brake lines. Thanks Toytec.

Waiting to hear back from Off-road warehouse on what kind of price I can get on the TC UCA. Exciting day for sure.. will be putting it all on when I get home early 2012. Anyone near Fort Bragg want to make a day of it? I will supply beer and food!

10. Dec 6, 2011 at 2:11 AM
    c0b2a

Member:
    Quick question, do I need to get extended brake lines for the front as well? Also, should I get the Front Swaybar relocate kit?

11. Dec 6, 2011 at 3:56 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    No and probably! You could save a few bucks and get a balljoint uca, the uniballs are for more travel with an extended length coilover. Light racing and camburg both have them.

12. Dec 6, 2011 at 4:02 AM
    MI4x4Toy

MI4x4Toy The slowest build EVER!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MI
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLK DCSB SR5 4x4
    Mud Flap Trim!
    That was a heck of an attention getter...

Fox man....you got one in front of the rig why not controlling all 4 corners of your truck!

13. Dec 6, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    Cajun1

Cajun1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Abbeville, LA
    Brush Gaurd 265 Destinations 5100's @ 1.75 LED Lighting Center console Home made Saatchi DDM 5K HID
    ummm nice hood armament

14. Dec 6, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8
    [​IMG]

15. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    dand

dand You can't see me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SE VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tundra DC 4x4 Blue Ribbon M.
    Planning stage
    If we could figure what kinda lift we need to raise those shorts another inch or two...:D

16. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    RbGar

RbGar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Little Rhody RI
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Toytec ultimate kit w/Radflo option, UCA's, OME Dakar, 4x SpiderTrax 1.25", DuraTrac's, WickedFlow

I'm doing a Toytec Ult lift prob max up 1.75" max, do i need to get longer brake lines front or back?

Thanks,
    Rb-

17. Dec 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    RbGar

RbGar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Little Rhody RI
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Toytec ultimate kit w/Radflo option, UCA's, OME Dakar, 4x SpiderTrax 1.25", DuraTrac's, WickedFlow
    i just searched and think i'll be fine w/stock ones if i dont go over 3"

18. Dec 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    c0b2a

Member:
    Should get longer for the rear because the downward travel is going to be longer with your new shocks.

19. Dec 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    RbGar

RbGar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Little Rhody RI
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    thanks will do, why risk it being short.

20. Dec 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    wormfood

wormfood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road V6 Auto TRD SC TowPack
    TRD SC, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, All Pro expedition leaf spring pac, Icon stage 4 suspension, B.A.M.F LCA Skid plates, TC weld-on upper coil bucket tower gussets, TC weld-on spindle gussets with swaybar mounts. RTT, Thule Roof Rack, Thule Bed Rack, Warn Zeon 10 Winch, All Pro Front Bumper, All Pro Apex Sliders, HID Spot/Flood Lights Front.
    I did a search on the forums looking for feed back on Off Road Warehouse, came across your post...thank god:D , and I have also milked the forums for the same information, looking to go with a medium travel set up.

I want long travel, but I also want to sleep with a few Victorias Secret models, not holding my breath. Seems you got the second part covered.:cool:

This link is their offering here, the entire kit Description: A set of Fox Coilover shocks with Total Chaos Upper Control Arms & Rear Shocks - $2395 both front and rear pictured with reservoir.

That with the All-Pro Expedition Leaf Springs at $385 for a total of $2780 and free shipping.

I have not been able to beat this price, though I am going to give Down South Motor Sport a crack at it.

All going on a 2011 TRD OffRoad 4x4 DBCab. Will chase wheels later and upgrade my rubber, thinking 285/75/16's.

I know you purchased already, but I didn't want to start a new post either, so piggy backing here.

To Top