1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which taco for Overlanding: sport long bed or off road long bed

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ToysforDad, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Oct 16, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    ToysforDad

ToysforDad [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    S. NH
    Vehicle:
    Black 14 Sport DCLB
    Wet okole seat covers, weathertech visors and mats, booster seat
    Hey guys,
    New to the forum and although I know there have been discussions in this vein, but I have a scenario I'd like some input on. Posted this elsewhere and no one seemed interested or I did something wrong. Hopefully bringing up what may be a familiar thread won't be too irritating for everybody. I wouldn't ask if I wasn't serious about my question.
    I have a black '14 Trd sport DCLB, with 10K miles. I have a work van so I don't put many miles on the Taco. My wife drives it in to work in the summer and it sits in the winter because I don't want to expose it to the road salt here in New England. My first Taco (private sale in 2013) was a cheaply lifted 2006 Sport DCLB and I had it for a few months before I got freaked by the amount of frame rust. At the time I didn't know if there'd be a frame recall and I decided to turn it in for a new one. Buying it was a mistake but oh well, live and learn. I'm good at maintenance but not serious car repair. So I bought the '14. The focus was always camping/ overlanding, which is why I bought the Sport (long bed). I haven't had any opportunity to do either camping or overlanding with this truck unfortunately, had a baby in spring of '14 and life's been too crazy ever since. Now that my boy is 3 1/2, I'm thinking about next steps for an expedition rig. Crap, I should probably get to the point but the back story is pertinent.
    I bought the DCLB because my wife wants a double cab for the kid seat and the doggie, and I wanted a long bed for more storage and the ability to sleep in the bed. At the time I purchased the '14 I figured I'd build a sleeping platform with storage underneath. I've since decided I want to eventually get an Adventure Trailers Habitat. I'd thought about towing a trailer and the idea has merit, but I've decided i don't want to tow off road. I'm not very experienced with technical trails and I don't have specific plans to do any serious off-roading, but I've done some trails in the Southwest in a rented jeep where I came upon some fairly technical terrain, and my goal is to build a rig where that stuff won't be a deal breaker, 100 miles into the willies. I know the breakover sucks with the long bed, and my plan would be to invest in a quality suspension lift and bumper replacements to get the truck a better angle. Speaking of which, anybody have any recommendations for a long travel suspension shop on the east coast? So for now, what I'm set on is a DCLB with Habitat. The problem I have is that although I love the 2nd gen (looks/engine), the 3rd gen Trd OR has a DCLB option, damn it! I've seen the 3rd gen interior and it's pretty nice. The new look I can get used to, not a helluva big difference although I'm not a huge fan of the grill. But the big thing is, I can have all those OR bells and whistles, and a factory locking diff, with a LONG BED! The wife thinks I'm batty, do you guys agree? I know I could get an aftermarket locking diff (I'd probably do the air locker if that's the way I go, I hear they're pretty reliable) but the Crawl control etc is really tempting, seeing as how I'm really not that great at the technical stuff. Welcome to all opinions, and I much appreciate your help!

Products Discussed in

To Top