1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which tire to choose??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Orion, Nov 23, 2011.

?

Whic Tire

Poll closed Dec 23, 2011.
  1. Bridgetown Revo II

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Firestone destination at

18 vote(s)
    16.5%
  3. Goodyear wrangler silent armor

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. other? which one

66 vote(s)
    60.6%
  1. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    Orion

Orion [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    I am gonna buy new tires for my 09 tacoma 4 door. I am looking at all season. I live down a half mile hilly dirt road and deal with snow etc, but I drive highway everyday as well.

Tires on my truck are 265/65//17

I am considering these tires...

Bridgetown Revo II

Firestone destination at

Goodyear wrangler silent armor

What say you??
    thanks

2. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Without recommemding any I will say, I've had MORE THAN one problem on more than one set of Firestone tires. Firestone also refused to back them. Also, I've known others to be VERY unhappy with Firestone.

3. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    canyonchaser

canyonchaser Member Known Well

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    Never had a goodyear last very long. Never had a firestone sidewall hold up, bridgestone makes amazing motogp tires and great car tires, I think their truck tires are pretty marginal. Their is a reason why so many people are over-the-moon about BF Goodrich All Terrain's. They last, they grip, their quiet, they ride well. IMHO, they are the standard by which all other All Terrain tires are judged.

dp

4. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    Scubasteve4533

Scubasteve4533 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR
    5100 @ 1.75, tsb rear springs with 5100. anytime fogs, rear diff breather, 50 cal ammo boxes on bed rails
    Hankook Dynapro ATM

cheap, quiet, good traction, cant comment on wear lenght yet but the reviews I read stated they wear well

5. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    NvrSumR

NvrSumR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado
    Honestly, that's the first bad thing I've heard anyone say about Destination AT's.

OP, check out the General AT2 as well.

6. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    I'm still leary of chinese/korean tires. Had a lot of bad luck with Korean tires in the past.

dp

7. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Michelin LTX M/S will spoil you for life.
    Michelin LTX A/T2's if you do much offroading or deep snow.
    More coin, much longer life, and fantastic performance.
    I have driven many tires and these are easily the best.

8. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    Personally, I don't think the Michi's perform all that great off road (and I don't like how they look). But if you spend the majority of your time on asphalt, it's hard to fault these tires.

dp

9. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    BFG A/T

10. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    Scubasteve4533

Scubasteve4533 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR
    5100 @ 1.75, tsb rear springs with 5100. anytime fogs, rear diff breather, 50 cal ammo boxes on bed rails
    I had bad luck with my Rugged trails but that doesnt mean all tires bfg makes are trash....

11. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have to go with the BFG AT's. Had numerous sets on a couple different vehicles. Great in all conditions and last very well. AND the road noise isn't bad if you care about that.

12. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    This or,
    These.

Also I just got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. To new to me to give a good review. So far so good, quiet on highway. Good in rain. Waiting for snow to try them in snow.

13. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    duratrac you will love them

14. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    Lets see here.... I have had over 40 vehicles, and ran tons of different tires over the years. Some worth mentioning are BFG (AT's & MT's), Mud King (MT's), Yokohama Geolander AT +2's, Sumitumo (AT's), Goodyear MTR's, Swamper Radials and Nittos as well as a ton more that were not worth mentioning. Most of them were run on Jeeps (whether it be Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, TJ, JK, YJ, CJ or even Wagoneers) and only have a few things to note about these I have mentioned. By far the worst road tire was the Mud Kings, but they are very cheap! So only if you want tires for near nothing are they worth having, and if you hit the road alot then stay away, if it is a trail truck then have at them they do well in alot of trail medias (ie rocks sand mud). The Yokohamas were about the best all around tire I have had, they were quiet on the pavement, and did great offroad. They were not too expensive when I got them (not sure if they are even made now), and they really did surprise the hell out of me the first time I wheeled em. I would buy them again IF I could find the exact ones I had before. On to the BFG scene... I have run both MT and AT and the MT are too loud and wear like butt! They are also not very good on wet pavement (to me at least). I liked the BFG AT's but they were also a tad pricey for how limited they are in alternate terrains, like mud or rocks. They do pretty darn good in sand though, but the other offroad medias suffer from "just not enough grip" when tested in the greasy shit (ie bad trails with alot of different shit on em, like mud and sand and rocks and creek crossing. They will show where they lack on a visit to trails like that. Another note worthy item from my BFG days is I have never lost a bead on any tire but the BFG AT's, I was wheeling in some sloppy muddy junk in Boone, NC one time in a Cherokee with 33's AT's and I lost the bead and the tire filled iself with mud when it came off, but here is the kicker...... Wait for it........ The tire reseated itself to the wheel! Thats right is blew the bead, and the mud and rocks filled the tire (about 6 pounds of mud in the tire) and one rock even wedged itself in the wheel and tire crack, and I mean wedged we had to remove the tire to get it off. All in all it surprised me that I was not just sitting on a flat tire and it also surprised me that it held all that mud and shit until I got to Galloways 4wd the next morning. I ended up getting rid of the tire for different rubber. The last tire I want to mention is the Nitto Terra Grappler... I have run these on three different trucks now and they have performed very well in each case. I have run them on a 1997 Grand Cherokee, 2007 Jeep Wrangler and the Tacoma. I have got great miles out of them and they are very quiet on the paved stuff. They clean out better than BFG AT's and grip a bit better in most cases too. I have always gotten more miles than the tire is supposed to, heck the last set I wore out was on the 2007 Jeep Wrangler, and they had 61,000 miles on them and still could have run another 10 at least, I even got a tad bit of money on trade in b/c they said ppl buy them with tread that good on em, but to me it was done and I needed new tires, but hell 61k is not too bad for an AT tire. I hope it helped a little even though I am sure none of you were wanting to read a novel in this thread, but this is what the forum is for right? Give others the rundown on your experience. Good luck with the hunt. JOE>

15. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    Unzapato

Unzapato Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My 3rd Tacoma
    Blank slate - brand new!
    Ditto. I had 285 Destination ATs on my 4runner. They had 40k on them when I got rid of the truck and still had lots of tread left. I don't do any hardcore offroading, but they did great in the sand on the beach and rolling around to hunting spots on the rocky Texas hill country hunting trails. They were very tame and quiet on the highway and were excellent on wet roads. I will definitely buy another set when the time comes to put new tires on my new Tacoma. Great tire for the price.

I had BFG ATs on my Bronco and they were great too. My wife's Tahoe had BFG Radial Long trails that were a little better than the ATs for highway and wet road use...she never let me take it offroad though so I don't know how they do in sand/mud/rocks. I had BFG MTs on my Z71 and they sucked on wet roads, but were awesome offroad, but loud and rumbly on the street.

I did not have a good experience (excessive wear) with the 2 sets of GY Wrangler ATs on my Z71 and Jeep. Can't speak on other Goodyear models, but that was enough to cause me to never buy another set of them.

I had Nitto TGs on the 2010 Tacoma I just traded in and I liked them just fine. They seem to be a decent all around tire for 50/50 use.

Good luck with your choice! I know all these aren't on your list but hope this helps.

16. Nov 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    I totally agree with Thinkingman

17. Nov 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    RockRescue

RockRescue Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    My story with firestone . i had a set on my toyota truck and was driveing on the freeway when i had my drivers front tire come apart and it ripped my fender rt off the truck . I was less than happy at the time i put my spare on and drove home . When i got home i was looking close at the other tires and i could see the the passanger tire was readay to come apart as well . I called Firestone and they kinda gave me the run around . So i Informed them thats fine i will be parking my truck out in front of the Fire station that i work at with the fender that i had to pick up off the road and the tire that came apart and also the other tire that was ready to come apart so everyone could see . They then changed there atitude . They payed for 4 new tires of my choice and coverd the cost of the truck repair . They did want the tires back though . I will never drive on Firestones again . My vote is BFG or Goodyear .

18. Nov 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    GeatWhiteNorth

GeatWhiteNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgen
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DC LB
    LR UCA's, 5100 all around, OME 885, add a leaf, Elite Sliders, 285's
    X2 great tires!!

19. Nov 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    X2...

Here is mine with 12,000 miles on them... in the desert:

IMG_5221_042f0eb74a74c72ff4fcda9aa306599e5cca7cf7.jpg

20. Nov 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    bf goodrich km2's

Products Discussed in

To Top