1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which truck to get?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LilTuffGirl, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Oct 20, 2011 at 3:36 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    I'd probably go for the indigo one. Keep in mind though, that the 100k maintenance probably hasn't been done.

IE: New drive belt and/or tension pully. Possible new alternator and/or starter. About 50/50 on needing a new battery. If you need everything, then about 1k in parts. If you get all that done by a mechanic, probably more like 2.5k with labor.

So, I'm pretty handy. I'd get the indigo one. If you aren't, then the TW one is probably a better deal. That is, if you can find out if any and/or all of what I listed has been done already. Like other have said, I don't care for the rough country lifts. They don't feel right. OME is what I've got on my truck.

EDIT: I've been drinking though, so feel free to ignore me. :)

2. Oct 20, 2011 at 3:38 AM
    LilTuffGirl

LilTuffGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    3" rough country lift leather
    You don't think the black should be an option?

3. Oct 20, 2011 at 4:14 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Hmm, good point. The mileage isn't a problem. Find out if any of my above issues have been addressed. Typically, a dealer is going to assume that all these are going to creep up at about 100k. These are Toyota's though. So any, and all of the issues listed could creep up anywhere from 100k to 200k. Bat's could go anywhere up to 300k, if it's been treated right. The starter is probably somewhere between 120-175k, though that depends more on how many start cycles it's been through. Alternator is probably right around 150k for it going out. Though it could go up to about 220, depending on usage.

Again, dealer is probably going to assume these issues are going to hit right around 100k, since that is when the maintenance for these trucks starts calling for these things to get replaced.

After thinking about it a bit more, I'd probably kick the stick right out of consideration. The throwout bearing issue is a no-shit issue. It's strange, but the majority of the owners on here will agree I think. The 2nd gen automatic is actually a more reliable transmission then the stick. The reverse is true with the first gens though... Keep in mind you don't lose as much as you might think with the automatic. The transmission is a little heavier. Though you can still manually shift it if you want/need to for any reason. That really eliminates the snow and/or high grade deceleration argument.

In the end though, it's more about what you want. Don't buy something you don't want. If you do, you will always be thinking, "Why didn't I get X?". Good luck, and there are very few bad Taco's you could buy. :)

PS You can get a sport type hood for about $500, if I remember correctly. Less if you can get some TW member with the same color to swap with you. :) Though that's difficult to arrange.

4. Oct 20, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    LilTuffGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    I wouldn't mind doing all that work to it I can do it myself.. but.. yea.. rather not.
    And that's and expensive hood! lol I could just have my buddy who owns a salvage yard to look out for one...

5. Oct 20, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    opiestaco

opiestaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wolcott, VT
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 V6 6speed 4X4
    Lifted with 285/75r16
    I would go with the Speed way blue one. Its the truck you want. And as soon as you buy the one you don't want you will be kicking yourself for it. And autos just plain suck to drive.

6. Oct 20, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    LilTuffGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    Man you guys aren't much help lol Well you are in the sense I know more questions to ask.. but...

Indigo Ink dealer said no other dents than tail gait and it's a 2 owner truck. Said he's getting a lot of inquiries on it but they all say that lol either way I can only buy it when I have the cash!

Now i'm kinda hoping all but one sells by the time I have all the cash in hand so I don't have to decide. Because honestly i'd be happy with any of them.

I put a poll up on my local forum and they were NO help. "they are all too much money for the miles get a ford or a chevy".. uhm no I want a toyota "all those are over priced" ok fine all damn tacomas in WV, OH, and KY are over priced.. :mad:

I'm getting old enough an auto will be fine haha Not to mention i'm going from a "sports car" to a truck. Pretty sure it's going to seem boring to me either way I go. But now I can run crap over.. hah (kidding... mostly...)

7. Oct 20, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I got my 05 indigo ink double cab TRD off road with 85000 miles for 14,500, so I wouldn't worry about the cheap price.

8. Oct 20, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    LilTuffGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    Wish I could find a deal like that!!! 85k miles I wouldn't think twice.

9. Oct 20, 2011 at 7:04 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    Yeah. I drove it, had my mechanic look over it, and got the all clear. I was in the same boat as you. Had to sell my car first, which wasn't a problem, but I had to wait a week to get the title. That was the longest week of my life. Bought the truck and haven't looked back since. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

10. Oct 20, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    1- I wouldn't trust carfax or any dealer to save my life. My one owner 06 DC trade was fixed at a toyota dealer due to a black ice accident, paid by my insurance & and didn't show up on the car fax. It is now being sold for $20k (4WD, auto 65k) in Mass & is certified.

2- There is nothing wrong with the auto. I drove mine 4+ yrs no issues in major snow, towing in the mtns. Before buying the auto, test drove the manual for all my other toyota trucks prior were manual. Decided on the auto. Didn't regret it. Not that there is anything wrong with the manual but it did shift differently than previous trucks though the pedal squeak is still there after 10+ yrs :confused:

3-I would buy a TW truck or a one owner face to face deal off CL before any other lot deal.

4-Get the truck you want, it saves you money down the road & you won't be thinking every time you go to drive it about wishing you bought the one you really wanted.

Of the ones you show I like the SWB edit that looks like Janster's truck ???

11. Oct 20, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    LilTuffGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    Waggoneer.42 is the one selling on tw

I've heard that answer a lot.. his truck. So paying $2k more doesn't sound dumb at all? Especially when i'll still have to pay for taxes and tags.

12. Oct 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    LilTuffGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    My car should be gone tomorrow :(

Really wishing I could find better prices on local tacomas but no luck. Apparently tacomas around here poop gold

Products Discussed in

To Top