1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whine after crossing river

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by azgunrunner, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    azgunrunner

azgunrunner [OP] A guy that knows a guy, that knows a guy...

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    ADS 2.5, Dakar leaf springs KMF sliders CBI Ditch light mounts, DD SS3 pods Bumpers pending OBA pending
    So I was out duck hunting this last season and drove my truck across a river crossing (once to get in and once to get out). The water was up just at the top of the tires, so I would imagine the water was up around at least the bottom part of the motor.

Ever since I crossed that river my truck makes this loud whining sound when I start it and drive it. The noise gets louder as the RPMs go up. I have since changed the oil in the truck at least 2 times and each time I've checked it for water and found none. I've swapped out the air filter at least 2 times as well and have never seen any signs of water getting anywhere near the filter.

It almost sounds like its coming from the belts and so I did a belt change and I still get the noise. I flushed the front of the engine area down with fresh water from my garden hose for about 20 mins with it running and with it off. Still have the noise. It almost sounds like the bearings in the belt tensioner might have some gunk in it from crossing the river but I can't imagine it would still make that sound after flushing the entire front of the engine and well now that Its been so long since I've crossed that river.

I thought it might be the front diff but when I shift the truck into N while crusing down the road, the noise drops as soon as the RPMs drop.

Just curious if anyone has come across this same kind of thing, if crossing a river and if so, where was the noise coming from and what did you do to get rid of it..? I haven't had time to tear down the front of the truck yet so I can get a better look but I'm about to do that i na few weeks. I have an idea that it's the bearings in the belt tensioner and the fly wheels that the belt rides on or something. Maybe the altenator or something?

Any ideas?

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    ADS 2.5, Dakar leaf springs KMF sliders CBI Ditch light mounts, DD SS3 pods Bumpers pending OBA pending

thanks, adding that to the list of things to check.. Hopefully its something simple to replace or repair.

3. Mar 24, 2011 at 6:45 AM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    well im thinking if the whine went down with the rpms, it wouldn't be the diff becasue thats constant with road speed, not engine speed. but i agree with you on changing the fluid nonetheless, and doing the mod to prevent it from happening either again or in the future if you have a habit of fording rivers

4. Mar 24, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    X12697363433

The whining sounds consistent with a bad bearing

5. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Isn't the front diff breather already extended?

Yes check your rear gear oil for milkyness.

6. Mar 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes, it is. Makes you wonder why they would have the front extended from the factory, yet not bother with the rear.

7. Mar 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    Changed out the front and rear diff oils tonight (had a hour to kill before work) and it all looked fine. Will take a look at the Idler Pulley this weekend.

8. Mar 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Free supercharger with every crossing?

9. Apr 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    azgunrunner

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Sport
    Well unfortunately it wasn't a free super charger but I did have someone ask me if I had one under the hood. I replaced the 3 pulleys this weekend and the whine went away... I still have a quiet whine when the engine revs but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I've got 150K miles on it.. :)

10. Apr 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    Could possibly be the water pump b/c of the high mileage and cause it also makes a whining sound if the bearing goes before it leaks bad. Not sure if you have a first or second gen but if first might be timing belt if it's really old and dryinout. Or power steering pump.

Products Discussed in

To Top