1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

whining and clunking noise coming from under my feet

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by canadian tacokid, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    canadian tacokid

canadian tacokid [OP] Member

Member:
    nova scotia
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 v6 5 speed taco
    stock, just got brand new frame from from dealership, 277k miles still running strong
    hello, iv been looking at tacoma world for a while now and loving everyones builds and been learning a fair amount about our trucks, this is my first thread because i cannot figure out what is wrong with my tacoma. if this is in the wrong section or if i did anything wrong just let me know.

The other day i was out on a trail with my buddy we regularly take to just get out and play with our 4x4s, i ended up going up to my body in water maybe a little deeper. i made it out no problem, but later on the road i started to hear some really bad noises.

everytime i let off on the gas i hear a whining sound coming from right under me, and then it starts to clunk. the only way i can describe the clunk is it sounds like something is hitting the floor. when i got home i checked my fluids, tranny fluid was bubbling as if it had water in it? so the tranny, t case and rear end fluids were all changed in hopes of the problem going away. its still making the noises.

so i was wondering if this sounds like my tranny shit the bed or if anyone has any insight to what it could be? any and all responses are appreciated.

2. Nov 6, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    subbed. Mine is doing this as well. Only when I let off the gas.

3. Nov 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    canadian tacokid

canadian tacokid [OP] Member

Member:
    nova scotia
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 v6 5 speed taco
    stock, just got brand new frame from from dealership, 277k miles still running strong
    brung her to a shop today. was told it was definitely my rear end. may have to open it up or grab a cheap used one, it is 277000 miles old... guess couldnt expect it to last forever

4. Nov 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Oh. That sucks. Mine only has 75K on it so hopefully that's not my issue. I only noticed it after my lift. 2.5" higher in the rear so may be something to do with the drive shaft. I have heard of people flipping them but I don't know if that will cure it or not. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top