1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whining noise....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoNH, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    TacoNH

TacoNH [OP] The Gunslinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Conway, NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Blue Tacoma 4.0/6speed
    B&M T-handle shifter, JVC CD/DVD player, Fish hanging from mirror
    So within the last week my truck has started to whine after 2000-rpm. I've always been able to hear the motor and the exhaust, but now on top of that is an additional noise. When I push in the clutch it goes away almost completely, and becomes very noticeable after 2000rpms. I don't know much about tacomas, but I was thinking it might be a bad bearing in a pulley? I've lifted the hood and I was pretty sure it was coming from the drivers side of the motor, I couldn't be entirely sure though. Has anyone else experienced this? Should my warranty cover the dealership to check it out and fix it? Any ideas what else it could be? My fluids are full, oil was done recently, maybe 1900 miles ago? :confused:

2. Jan 8, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i thought you were talking about my wife.lol

3. Jan 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    maybe a bearing in the trans

4. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    TacoNH

TacoNH [OP] The Gunslinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Conway, NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Blue Tacoma 4.0/6speed
    B&M T-handle shifter, JVC CD/DVD player, Fish hanging from mirror
    I hope it is something simple, a transmission problem would be so shitty. I don't really want to take it to the dealership right away, but should I?

5. Jan 9, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    jimbo623

jimbo623 Jimbo

Member:
    Pueblo
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road
    Grillcraft Grill, Hella Black Magics, ICON shocks w/ remote reservoir, Total Chaos UCAs, Tom Woods Drive Shaft, TSB springs, LED Dome light, Redline Hood struts, Slotted rotors, WheatherTech Mats, Ultra Gauge, and Illuminated 4x4 switch
    It sounds like a throw out bearing is on its way out. This seems to be logical simply because when you depress the clutch the sound goes away, also above 2000 RPM the sound appears...more revolutions on the bearing. It is my understanding that Gen 2s have this problem. Hope this helps.

6. Jan 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    tiger955

tiger955 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City
    Vehicle:
    06 Access 4WD
    trd suspension
    Reminds me of the time I was working at a small auto shop and was talking to a customer when he was dropping his car off for repair. He was complaining of a whining sound coming from the right side of the car while driving. I told him "Well tell your wife to get out!" Wow! Did she get mad!!! and the look on his face was priceless.

At any rate... sounds like a trans or TO bearing problem if it goes away when you push the clutch in. If it goes away when you lightly step on the clutch it is most likely the throw out bearing. If only when you push the clutch the whole way in, then probably the trans input bearing. Either way the trans has to come out. I would get a qualified mechanic to check it before committing to a major repair like this. If your truck is still under powertrain warranty, it should be covered.

7. Jan 9, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    i bet you 99% its the Throw Out Bearing..

which is a cheapish part (about $100 from a dealer) but it'll be a lot for labour...but you might be able to get it replaced under warranty...just do a search on here for Throw Out Bearing...there are a bunch of threads on the matter and things people did to get it replaced under warranty...it should help you and give you an idea of what to say/do to get it fixed for free :D

hope this helps! and good luck

To Top