1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whining sound in 5th gear!

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by BIGFOOT, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Aug 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    I saw you commented on my other video and said that sounds like your noise, so I did a short highway jaunt today to record mine going 70+. Unfortunately, all that's going on at those speeds is 5-year-old AT tire noise and a slightly out-of-balance front tire.

http://youtu.be/2pAaQtnFaZs

2. Dec 18, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    camojared

camojared Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 2.7L 5spd
    Fog Lights Anytime, Second Air Filter Delete
    This is exactly what my 07 does every day from 55-65mph and only in 5th gear under throttle. Anything ever come of this? Trans and diff fluids changed 10k ago but has always done it.

3. Dec 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    KWMF sold his truck and bought an automatic to get rid of his whine

I tore the tranny apart on mine and replaced all the bearings exc. the 1-2-3 needle bearings. The bearing under 5th was pretty loose compared to the new one. That was over 2000 miles ago... tranny still whines in 5th, shifter still turns into a Sybian in 5th, so I gave up on it.

Besides I have a new problem to bother myself with. Finally developed the 35 mph vibe that goes away in 4wd. Hooray... thank goodness for ECGS's ingenuity on that one. Oh, and a rear speaker blew itself apart yesterday :mad:

Can't decide which is the best way to fix this thing, between Honda and Subaru. I gotta say that new 1.8L AWD HR-V with the CVT is mighty tempting to me every time an issue crops up in this truck, considering how much I loved driving the Fit.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  4. Dec 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    lloyd

lloyd Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma Access 2.7
    HID headlights, LED interior lights, Hella and stock HID foglights, Hella HID driving lights, backup camera, Wiper mod, cruise control mod, higher rate springs , X- runner Rear rollbar and x-brace, K&N air filter, Amsoil in trans and diff, EBC yellow stuff pads pads, stainless brake lines, 18x8 40mm wheels with 235 55r 18 tires, oil cooler with remote big oil filter
    I had 3 transmissions go out on my 4 Runner, and they made the same noise. On mine, it was the pocket bearing in the middle of the input shaft. In 4th, the shaft rotates as a whole and the bearing is stationary. In all other gears it is rotating. You usually only notice it in 5th.

On the 4 Runner transmission, you could get the bearings cheaper from a bearing supply house.

5. Dec 21, 2014 at 6:45 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    I changed that bearing too. Given the monstrous size of some of the other bearings in there, it was surprising to see how puny that one was in comparison.

Couldn't feel any unusual slop in the old bearing though, unlike the 5th gear bearing, which was defknitely bad.

To Top