1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

White Rim trail - Moab

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by ParkCity_Marty, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Nov 21, 2016 at 7:49 AM
    ParkCity_Marty

ParkCity_Marty [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport MT
    I bought my truck about 2 months ago. It's mainly stock, has a small lift and new Bilstein 5100s set up high in the front.

I decided a trip to the White Rim Trail would be a good first trip to break MYSELF in and see what the truck could and couldn't do.

We did the trail clockwise and camped at Gooseberry, Murphys and Potato Bottom.

The Switchbacks down made me wipe my hands on my pants a few times.
    IMG_1498.jpg

But we didn't have any issues. God I love 4-Lo!

IMG_1500.jpg

My daughter and I camped in the back of the truck. This is the main reason I went after an access cab and long bed. (I'm 6' 2").

IMG_1514.jpg

The drive is fantastic. Views around every corner.

IMG_1505.jpg

The guide book I used mentioned Murphy's Hogback and Hardscrabble Hill as the only real technical parts of the trip. I'd agree but Hardscrabble was the only thing that gave me trouble. One switchback was very tight and left my rear, drivers-side wheel in the air. I was forced to back down (towards the ledge) and re-approach. ARB Lockers are in my future. :)

DSCN1633.jpg

The campsites were fantastic. The time of year was perfect. (a little cold in the mornings but NO CROWDS) I highly recommend this trip for anyone with a 4x4.

DSCN1569.jpg

2. Nov 27, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    I loved White Rim, you camped in the same spot we did on Murphys. Did you get much wind up there? My son and his friend had a lot of fun hunting zombies on the rocks there.

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  3. Nov 27, 2016 at 11:50 AM
    ParkCity_Marty

ParkCity_Marty [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport MT
    the trail was awesome. The campsites were beautiful but severely unprotected. :) We had what seemed like a gale blow throw and Murphy picked out a bad spot to camp so many years ago. My daughter and I want to do the trail again next year though so it wasn't that bad.

RogueTRD likes this.
  4. Nov 27, 2016 at 2:56 PM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    Yeah we had crazy wind on Murphy's too. Even with using my truck as a windbreak it almost blew my tent down. lol So cool out there though.

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  5. Dec 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM
    jesse.thomas

jesse.thomas MisguidedMelon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Mile High
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off Road Super White
    Stock
    Yeah, the winds can be brutal out there. Topper camping is a God send in that kind of weather. My brother lost a brand new North face tent to Utah winds and then crawled inside my topper with me to sleep the rest of the night.

Your trip looks like a lot of fun! I've had that one on my list for a while now.

RogueTRD likes this.
  6. Dec 9, 2016 at 10:14 PM
    Ariyan

Ariyan Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport
    SAS, 40s, and some armor.
    Thats a good one, really bumpy when we went.

7. Dec 9, 2016 at 10:23 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    I looked this trail up. looks great.
    I hate the winds, it has ruined a few of my camping trips out dirt biking. :pout:

Products Discussed in

To Top