1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

white smoke after truck has been siting for a few days

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by vantaco, May 28, 2011.

1. May 28, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    vantaco

vantaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    i'm not daily driving my truck any more and i've noticed that when i fire it up for the first time after a couple days i get white smoke from the exhaust for the first couple minutes

i haven't checked my coolant level yet but just curious if this is common or not?

i did seafoam the truck a little while ago, but that was just before i stop driving it everyday....it was only through the manifold, not in the tank

2. May 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    did it do this before the seafoam?

3. May 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back twin exhaust,elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella550's, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Does the "white smoke" dissipate into the air shortly after it exits the pipe-or does it linger for a while like smoke from a fire would?
    If it dissipates you have no problem. If it stays around like a misty white smoke, then you may have coolant burnage=head gasket.

4. May 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    It's probably just condensation/moisture in the exhaust being burned off. Just steam and nothing to be worried about.

5. May 28, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    mx04taco

mx04taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Marietta,GA
    Vehicle:
    04, SR5, TRD, 4wd
    Flowmaster exhaust, Pioneer DVD HU, Pioneer speakers all around, , Viper security w/ remote start, Tinted Windows, Silverstar Headlights, Toytec 3" Coil Springs, All Pro Offroad Diff Drop 3/4", Bilstein 5100s, 2" Toytec AAL's, Toytec poly rear leaf bushings, Deckplate Mod 4", 265/75r16 firestone destination a/t's
    if its light smoke i would say condensation buildup. completely normal.

6. May 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    What does the smoke smell like? Are you sure it's white and not white with a blue tinge? Is your coolant level going down? Is the engine oil level going down?

7. May 30, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    vantaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    not that i could tell, but i drove the truck everyday at that point

as for the smoke dissipating or lingering, i think it dissipates quickly, but i'll have to take a better look next time

it's deffiently white, no blue tinge

i still need to check the coolant level

no smell, i know if it's sweet, then it's coolant

thanks guys

8. May 30, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    It's more than likely just steam from the condensation in the exhaust being burned off. It will quickly dissapear after if it fully warms up.

Every vehicle can and will do this when it's cold out and warming up. Most people just don't notice it because they simply get in their vehicle and drive, but then that time they do step out and notice it, they freak out because they've never seen it before and don't know what it is. For the record, it is NOT smoke, it is simply steam like seeing your breath on a cold day.

In places where it's quite warm like California for example, most of the time your vehicle won't blow steam out of the tailipipe when it's warming up in the morning because of the higher temperature. So, if there ever is a morning where it is cold enough in place like that for the vehicle to blow steam out of the tailpipe, then they get worried that something is wrong because they are just not used to seeing it which is understandable. In places like here where it's pretty cold most of the year, seeing steam rolloing out the tailpipe of a vehicle is a regular thing. So again, if you live in place that is hot, you are not going to see this occurance very often unless you get a cold enough day for it to do so and that is why when most people do see it, they get worried and think that something is wrong with their vehicle because they just aren't used to seeing it.

Now, if the head gasket was blown and the steam was from burnt off coolant, the flow of steam would not going away. It would be a continuous cloud comming out of the exhaust, even when when it's warmed up.

Don't want to come across sounding like a jurk, but this particular topic comes up regularly on vehicle forums and there a lot of misconceptions out there about the matter.

9. May 31, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    vantaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    drove the truck again today, on start up there was minimal white "smoke" it was also a little warmer out today

not too worried about it being coolant...still need to check my coolant level though

To Top