1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has a toolbox?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by archerytarget, Nov 11, 2008.

?

Do you have toolbox?

1. Yes

35.1%
  2. No

22.4%
  3. Thinking about getting one

42.5%
  1. Jan 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded
    Bedliner roll-on paint can be an alternative if you must have it black........

2. Jan 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak

I've been pretty happy with mine.

I also could not find the black version, so I bought the silver...

I used a wire brush on a drill to scuff the entire thing up, and masked the handles and logo. I then used a can of grey self-etching primer and a can of flat black rustoleum as a top coat.

Result:

[​IMG]

3. Jan 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    TacoIII

TacoIII Mr. Boombastic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albuqerque
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4 off road package
    3" OME 886 coils, ARB bumper warn M8000, Lightforce 240's and 255/85 16 KM2, Redline hood struts,arb twin air compressor, 4.88's, Tepui kukenam, Pelfreybilt bed rack and rear high clearance with swing out, and custom offroad bodywork
    Anyone on here wanting to trade a chest for a low profile box? I am wanting to put a bed rack on and still want to keep a tool box.

4. Jan 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    Nick17

Nick17 Nick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcsb Trd Sport
    westin bull bar, weathertech floormats, K&N cold air intake, Flowmaster American thunder cat-back exhaust, Century shell, peak back up camera, satoshi grill with TOYOTA emblem, bhlm, retrofit, bilstein 5100s set at 1.75, 1.5 inch blocks in the rear, Tractor Supply toolbox, wet okoles, 2 hella black magic lights, glassworks fenders, custom rock sliders, custom tiregate
    Tractor supply sells one that fits perfect.

5. Jan 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers

Hell yeah. Prep work makes all the difference. Yours honestly looks like it was black new. Good job.

6. Jan 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    Thanks. I couldn't agree more on the prep work.

7. Apr 21, 2014 at 5:29 AM
    TACO FOR LIFE

TACO FOR LIFE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    ive been looking at getting a box for a while now and my only problem now is deciding on brand. i like the price of the lowes/home depot boxes but they just feel cheap compared to the UWS boxes. but a lot of yall have the lowes/home depot brands how do they hold up in the long run. i dont want a box that will break in a year. thanks in advance for any feed back

8. Apr 21, 2014 at 5:42 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Bought my Lowes Slimline Kobalt box immediately after getting my truck. It's held up very well. Just shy of 4 yrs now and no issues whatsoever. I regularly carry a 2 1/4 ton small trolley jack, 2 recovery straps, several cargo ratchet straps, a small slimline toolbox of tools (@25 lbs) jumper cables, and spare gallon jug of washer fluid; i.e., it's not empty or lite. No complaints, latches and lock still function fine. My experience FWIW.

EDIT: http://www.lowes.com/pd_67697-76354-73014036_0__?productId=1096337

9. Apr 21, 2014 at 6:10 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    I've got the same box and it handles everything pretty well. My fiance and I used it as a seat before I'm 200lbs and she's 100 lbs, and I even mounted my hi lift and CB antenna to it. It's got almost every tool I own in it since I have no garage and the only issues I ever had were the latches not catching perfectly but they are adjustable so it was an easy fix.

You can see it in this pic:

[​IMG]

Full disclosure though to mount the hi-lift I put a thin long wide piece of flatstock steel to add extra strength to the mounts just because the hi-lift is pretty heavy.

10. Apr 21, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I had to adjust my latches on initial install, but haven't had to readjust. I take it out occasionally in the Summer, and still haven't had to adjust them when I put it back in.

11. Apr 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    TACO FOR LIFE

TACO FOR LIFE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    ok well sounds like i will be going to lows today after work hopefully they have a black one in stock. thanks for the good words now i dont feel bad getting the cheap box :cool:

12. Apr 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    When I was searching for a box, I was told by a Lowe's manager that the Black ones were discontinued. Good luck anyway.

13. Apr 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    LukeBo4x4

LukeBo4x4 The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Member:
    First Name:
    luke
    Big Island,Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD ext cab
    OME 882s, wheelers 5 leaf pack w/aal, ARB front bumper, 305/70/16 nitto mud grapplers,pro comp 7069s, Grey wire mod.
    I have this one
    [​IMG]

14. Jun 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    I live in a large city with a few Lowe's stores. I was also told the black Kobalt slim boxes were unavailable. I checked the other stores, and the 3rd closest Lowe's had a few of them. Check all of your surrounding stores.

15. Mar 16, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    Architect

Architect Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maybe a silly question, but here goes.

I had a WeatherGuard single lid box on my 93 which I sold with the truck years ago. The lock button on either side of the box would lock or unlock that button and the box could be open from the unlocked side - i.e. no need to unlock both sides.

Do the BetterBilt/Kobalt and UWS boxes operate the same way?

I really loved that WeatherGuard and thinking of getting another, but the advent of the narrow boxes and the "Bolt" retro-fit latch that operates on your Toyota key have me looking at UWS or Cobalt....

Thoughts or suggestions, thanks in advance.

16. Mar 17, 2015 at 4:11 AM
    J Gibson

J Gibson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB,4wd,TRD Sport, tow pkg, MGM
    katzkin leather, toyota step bars, pro grill, advent overhead DVD player, cargo extender, bed mat, husky liners, impulse digital brake controller, avs bugflector, tinted windows, Firestone ride-rite air bags, ARE camper top with tool doors, ScangaugeII, ProEFX tow mirrors, ImMrYo rearview mirror lift bracket, Salex glove box and console organizers, 2020 Tacoma Pro styled wheels, 265/70 r17 Michelin MS2 tires, LED map lights, drivers seat extended and raised, ram ball tech deck installed, blacked out badges, tinted taillights, upgraded climate control knobs, ultimate headlight upgrade with Osram superbrights and wiring harness along wit OEM pro headlight housings.
    My current UWS, which is a low profile single lid, has a latch on both sides that face the tailgate. It only locks from the drivers side. It is kind of like my 2012 Tacoma, only having a keyed lock on drivers door but not passengers.

For my purposes I have grown to prefer this design. I always know which side is locked (I previously had another design on another truck that would lock from either side, but with the locks operating independantly it was a pain walking from oneside to the other trying to figure out which one was locked)

I also like that this new design accomodated swapping the factory lock out for a lock that operates with my truck key. Thus carrying one less key, and the lock itself seems more secure.

ps- You are probably aware that "Bolt" make padlocks, hitch-locks etc. too. Super convenient!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. Mar 17, 2015 at 4:17 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    I got a toolbox for free from a homeowner I was doing a roof for last year. I had it in the truck for a week before I had to take it out. Had to go rescue my boss on his motorcycle, because the wiring burned up, and that was when I realized that I can't have a toolbox. I'm constantly doing something that requires using the whole bed. Scrap metal hauling, picking up my boss's motorcycles when they break, hauling tools and materials, etc.

18. Mar 17, 2015 at 10:42 AM
    Architect

Architect Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the comment. It certainly helps. Didn't notice that that only had one lock, that does make sense too. I know what you mean about the "both sides locking" and never knowing which was locked or not.

I did see the other things that Bolt makes, super convenient… :D

19. Mar 19, 2015 at 3:20 AM
    dpgreen

dpgreen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 Access Cab
    Just installed the standard UWS TBS-63-A-LP-BLK (black version) that fits our Tacomas so well. The best deal I found on it was at Agri Supply which was $355 for the black version and I think $285 for silver. Best price AND local. It installed well with the Dee Zee DZ97904 tie downs but you HAVE to use smaller washers to get the holes close enough to the structural ridge on the inside of the box if you don't want the bolts at a severe angle. It still installs very tight even with smaller washers because the aluminum on the UWS is strong. I looked at the equivalent generic Betterbuilt models that serve as the basis for the Kobalts, Huskys, etc. The best deal I found was a sale at Northern Tool for $265 for the low profile black. It was decent and I might have been happy with it, but they use .04 inch aluminum versus .06 inch aluminum for the UWS, and I kept telling myself why save $100 if you are going to be kicking yourself in the future. I am happy with the UWS with one exception. The lock is complete crap and a real disappointment for this much money. I don't mean that it looks crappy, but it is really difficult to get the key in (like many cheap products). I thought that when I went UWS instead of a knockoff that I would get a quality lock. Oh well, I plan on installing the Bolt retrofit to have it work with my truck key anyway, but it was a disappointment. Hope this helps someone in their decision process. This thread certainly was helpful to me. Thanks.

20. Mar 19, 2015 at 3:45 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    Cant see it too good, havent taken a pic of just the toolbox. Found this one off CL locally for $100, I cleaned it and plastidipped it, I think it came out great.

[​IMG]

To Top