1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has had problems with spacer lifts?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DaytonLax14, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Sep 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    CUtigerfan

CUtigerfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    Daystar 1.5" coil spacers, bedlined bumpers, clear corners, aftermarket stereo, 20% tint, half debadged
    I put a Daystar spacer on my 5-lug and regretted it almost immediately. should've gone with spindles. I bottom out on speed bumps and its not even level. pretty sure the spacers are part of the reason my front shocks are shot too

2. Sep 6, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros

Can you adjust the suspension to gain a tad more down travel and possibly take it away from the up travel?

3. Sep 6, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    park713vmn

park713vmn Member

Member:
    True story, this was the cheapest alternative I can find, considering spindles for the second gen. are $1700. :eek:

4. Sep 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Not really. You can add different UCA's which will give a little more down travel, or you can get a full Long Travel set up...

5. Sep 6, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Actually if you are running an OME lift kit that uses a top plate spacer you can remove that. IT will lower the truck between .5 to :75 depending on which size spacer it is. After that you will loss lift but gain that amount of down travel back. It all depends on what you want to do

but to asnwer your question: no you cant. The only way to gain more travel is take away from the lift itself or aftermarket uca's to gain a bit more!

6. Sep 7, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    Does this mean people who go with a 6in have -2in of down travel? JK, but seriously....?

7. Sep 7, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    No a 6" lift is a drop bracket lift. IIRC if keep the upper a arms stock position but drops everything that deals with the lower portion of the suspension ie lower control arms. They give who a whole new setup. The thing with 6" lifts is that they do absolutely NOTHING for ground clearance, they are just for looks IMO they do nothing.

8. Sep 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    x2. DB's are just for looks. i've seen to many of them break out here where i live. ill never wheel in one again. id rather run the set-up i have now...

9. Sep 7, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    park713vmn

park713vmn Member

Member:
  10. Sep 7, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock

fronts are WAY!!! different.

longer travel shocks are not the issue. the uca's are the limiting factor, not shock length

11. Sep 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    After reading through all the posts; whew. I would say a spacer lift is just fine if you are just street driving & want the look of a lifted truck, & don't haul ass over speed bumps. If you're going off road, spend the cash & get the right components for what you're doing. I have had the 3" spacer lift for 3 yrs.; have only done light trails a couple times at slow speeds; inspect everything regularly & have no problems. Allignments every 7.5k miles & tire rotations & no issues. Even just driving around the farm I think I would go with some decent adjustable coilovers.

12. Sep 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    ^ This...I've had my front spacer lift for over a year and haven't had any issues

13. Sep 7, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    beckleyota

beckleyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    wv
    Vehicle:
    o7 taco
    vent visors,tint,kenwood headunit, trex eyelids,kenwood componants,5100's,1 aal,cabellas seatcovers,painted stereo suround
    Bottom line is when u lift a truck(any make moddel with any brand lift) you will wear out stock parts faster. Spacers or full strut assembly aslong as you have stock hubs and stock balljoints they will wear out because you canot grease them.
    if you lift your truck and a tierod end goes out buy one stronger than stock with a grease fitting so you can prolong the life if the part.

14. Sep 7, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:

I will respectfully argue with you :)

Spindle lifts, as far as I can see/experience will not wear anything faster because IT DOES keep the factory specs, or so I am told :D

15. Sep 12, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    Im not happy with my ome coils with spacer on oem shocks. ride sucks Clicking cv joint or something. TC UCA i LOVE. But the lift i wish i would have saved the money to buy a good lift. I want ICON coilovers and 5100's will this solve or help my clicking. Will it result in less stress on my front end? If so Im saving pennies Im at 24" or just over from hub to fender. Am i over 3"

16. Sep 12, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    with the spacer and tc uca your suspension will "droop" more than stock. this is no good for the cv joints. IMO i would not lift more than 2.5" and keep my down travel at near stock capacity. with the spacer and not having the stock ucas to limit your down travel your over doing it for the cvs. either ditch the spacer or get limiting straps to save the cvs and stop the clicking

17. Sep 13, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    dedmax

dedmax Member

Member:
    Ok so I am new to the tacoma world but not new to lift kits at all, what you guys are arguing about if a spacer or strut puts different strain on a suspension is just amazing me.

When you take a stock indepentent suspension and increase the lenght of the strut or add a spacer, or torque a torsion bar you are causing the upper and lower arms to drop. Thus is will make for a rougher ride due to the suspension dropping down and hitting the bumpstops(the upper arm will stop thus stopping the spindle) or will bottom out cause the lower arm can't go any further.

The arguement that a spacer preloads the stock strut is just rediculous. Weither you increase the strut lenght by longer springs and shocks, or you add a space you are basically doing the same thing by causing the stock geometry to come closer to bottoming out.

Now the aftermarket parts might take more abuse( ie jumping or fast desert running) but that is all, a longer strut will still cause a rougher ride unless the shock valving is different to compensate.

I am probably gonna catch flak for the post but I read the whole thread and just had to comment. Cause the arguements didn't make sense a spacer lift should be just as good as a strut lift since they are both changing the geometry the same, but the spacer will not sag or be too high at first cause it is not worn in yet.

Again I know there will be comments on this, but I have been in the offroad world for almost ten years wheeling jeeps( wrangler, grand cherokees, and commanders and lifted them all) and chevy pickups, I have also done dozens of lifts on these vehicles maybe tacomas are a weird vehicle that have magic suspensions but math and experience tells me otherwise.

18. Sep 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    dedmax

dedmax Member

Member:
    Wow just realized I resurected a 2 year old thread, ignore my rant

19. Aug 19, 2022 at 3:52 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida