1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has had problems with their 4 wheel drive (electronic transfercase)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JLink, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    Hard

Hard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    H
    Vehicle:
    4X4X4
    This dosen't seem right. There are different greases for a reason.

2. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    JLink

JLink [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    It is an electrical connection. If you remove the 3 screws and pop off the cover there is an electrical connection of some sort. Kind of like a dial. There are contacts that other parts rub against. Idk what to call it, but thats where I put dielectric grease. I didn't open up the t case or remove the actuator or anything like that

3. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    I used to use it plenty. My truck is not a street queen. But when I start the truck and the 4wd light is flashing for no reason, I don't even have the option of 4wd. I flip the switch and it does nothing because it already thinks its trying to get into 4wd. And when I'm lucky enough to not have the light flashing, and I flip the switch to 4hi it engages but the light starts flashing and usually never goes solid. Then to get it back to 2hi I have to flip the switch and then turn off the truck. When I start it back up it disengages into 2wd.

But nothing is constant. Today the light is off, tomorrow it could be on and stay on for weeks

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Mine failed at 16k.
    It was not in cold conditions, nothing over the course of the next couple of weeks would make it work. It was like one day it worked, the next day it didn't. I used it quite a bit during the winter months.
    It failed in the Spring time, no water etc. Like I said. One day it worked and the next day it didn't just the flashing light.

After the dealer replaced the actuator, it worked fine until I traded it at 65k. This was on a 06

5. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Yea exactly how mine is. I had it at the dealership 3 times and supposedly they replaced the actuator once or twice. Then they voided my warranty to avoid having to deal with it anymore. Now I'm waiting on a lemon law suit which should go to arbitration sometime this spring.

Seems like a very common problem on some of the other forums with people who wheel a lot. Unfortunately there are a lot of people on here that like to blame the owner of the vehicle..

That's what I figured. Thought it would be better than the shitty assembly grease they threw in it

6. Feb 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Blame the owner for what? The audacity to turn the 4wd drive switch? What regular maintenance does the T-case actuator require? I can't seem to find it in my manual.

Toyota just recently (past 10 years or so) went to these electronically actuated t-cases. I think they're still ironing the kinks. The things don't seem to hold up to weather well...I have a sneaking suspicion they would live a lot longer if they were internal on the t-case and therefore better sealed from outside elements.

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Theres just too many people who say "oh well you must've done something wrong" instead of believing that there could actually be something wrong with it that I did not cause.

I think you're right about having it internal.. I would HOPE that it would be better sealed, but then again there's supposedly corrosion in my T Case but I'm still waiting to see those pictures.

The fact that I only wheel with other Tacomas and I only drive through the same water that they do makes me feel there is no way that mine could of been "submerged" while no one else's was. Hell, I've seen Tacos get water in the cab and yet the 4wd doesn't have any problems. I've never even had water up to the body of the cab.

8. Feb 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Mine had issues brand new after it had been use several times it started to work fine and has ever since. Toyota is not the only one with electric shifting transfer case problems all of them have had issues. I can tell you, you have to mat the clutch to use 4 low I mean right to the floor with a manual and if you have a aftermarket mat it maybe too thick to allow the pedal to go far enough.

9. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Mine is auto trans.

and its not a problem getting into 4 Lo, its getting into 4 Hi

10. Feb 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    meafordmike

meafordmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4/ 4Dr 6 speed, Sport/ Towing
    Devil Horns, Wet Okoles, WeatherTechs, Radflo Coilovers, OME Dakar's, FJC Gun metal rims, 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO, Rear Diff breather Mod,
    Well I just got back from the dealership. They still have my truck, and have got the transfer case apart and both actuators. They still can’t get it out of 4x4 and my light still flashes. Now to all you that say its driver error; or to new; or not used enough: Wrong!
    I know how to use it, and use it often enough, my problem has occurred for 4 years on and off now. I love my Taco and drive it as it was designed (hard). This is my 7th Toyota and I have had my share of problems. I have had a new transfer case; new front diff; new 6 speed transmission; and now Toyota has my transfer case apart and both actuators off.
    I am heading away for work for a month Saturday, and hope to get my truck back together, so I don’t have to take my wife’s RAV or take the Land Cruiser out of storage.
    The Mechanic working on the Taco seems to be doing his best, but has never had this problem with any truck (I am a little worried). When I went to pick it up today and saw the transfer case and plenty of other parts on the work bench, I was scared.
    Crossing fingers they figure it out today.

11. Feb 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    i wonder if the problems you guys are experiencing is the same issue that plagued ford explorer owners with vehicles built around 2001 or so. the little rotating dial thing that tells the 4wd ecu what position the transfer case is in had little rubber bumper at the ends of the run so it would stop on the correct contact... over time and repeated use, the mechanism would compress the rubber stoppers at the end of the mechanism which would allow the rotating contact to move past the last sensor point leaving the contact not touching anything causing the 4wd to stop working. The fix was to simply loosen the cover over the connections,and rotate it slightly to realign the contacts so they touched. once you did that, it worked perfectly again... Here is a link to the ford fix, maybe our trucks are similar...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97004&page=3

I'd go look myself but its cold and dark out there right now :)

12. Feb 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Workman

Workman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab, off road, V6
    Workman has had problems with his 4x4 engaging when it was very cold and icy, the times he needed it the most. It is the biggest gripe with his 2006 Tacoma....besides the ABS. He previously drove three 80-84 Subaru GL wagons with high and low, a 91 ford exploder, two 92 F150s, a 79 f150, and an 83k5 Blazer, all with 4x4 shift levers.

Workman NEVER had any issues getting them into 4hi when he needed it. Workman really misses locking hubs and manually shifted T cases.

13. Feb 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    meafordmike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    Devil Horns, Wet Okoles, WeatherTechs, Radflo Coilovers, OME Dakar's, FJC Gun metal rims, 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO, Rear Diff breather Mod,
    Good idea, but I don't think thats my problem. Mine will be fine till I drive through water and slush in winter, or after I wash in winter. And will start blinking without touching the dial. I think its something electrial is getting wet, or freezing inside the actuator.

14. Feb 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    I'm gonna bet there is a shorting wiring harness for it to just start flashing on start up in 2wd. The 4wd ECU is seeing a signal, or lack of, and it doesn't like it. Weather conditions or washing would certainly make it worse. It may not have any visible damage to the outside of the loom, but be rubbed bare inside the loom.

While I'm not familiar with what toyota dealers have for diagnostic equipment, but I'd be surprised if they don't have a diagnostic laptop they can connect, read codes, activate all the functions and monitor inputs for all switches. It should be a simple diagnose and repair, not a run around.

And OP, I'll also agree that you submerged it. You live in a town called Ocean.:D

15. Feb 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Does Workman always talk about Workman in the third person? lol

this^
    I could understand that dial issue if it happened when I turned the dial, but I'll just start the truck and it will be flashing (thanks for posting that info though.. i wouldn't be surprised if some taco owners DO have that issue).

Once my lemon law case gets settled and I either get some money from them or I tell them I'll never buy another Toyota again, I'll fix this problem myself.

I'll be doing the FJ cruiser transfer case swap, and I won't be trusting any toyota seals on anything having to do with it. I will take it apart and use ultra gray sealant everywhere there should be a gasket. Then I will remove the front diff actuator and clean it, then use ultra gray when I re install that as well.

16. Feb 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    meafordmike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:

Well I just got back from the dealership. They were unable to fix it. Theynow have replaced both actuators, and taken apart the transfer case. I amheading out of town for the next month and Toyota gave me the option of keepingthe loaner and ordering a new transfer case (again), or taking the front driveshaft out (its stuck in 4x4) and driving a 2 wheel drive till I return thenfixing it. I chose to get my truck back with front drive shaft removed (Toyotatold me this was safe for the truck???) Two reason I went this route. 1: I love my truck and would rather driveit, and I am not sure a new transfer case will fix it( gives Toyota more timeto investigate this). And 2: my wife would have the loaner (corolla with summertires on it) and the kids have many hockey tournaments in far away towns whileI am gone. And she feels much safer in her RAV4 4wd with snow tires in winterup here. I had a new transfer case lastyear. I don't think it’s the transfer case, but they are covering all under warranty,so I don't really care. They told methey tried everything, but nothing works. Any ideas out there before they put anew transfer case in for the 2nd time in two years.
    I am out of ideas and glade the dealer is still working at it, but reallyjust want a working Taco!!

17. Feb 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    cbreze

cbreze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bend, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '12 T4R, '74 LC, '88,'98 04' pickups.
    Yes they do, My 2004 is the last of that style and I'm so glad to have a real shifter to get me in and out of 4x4. That electronic crap is just that , crap. I never want to upgrade to electronic 4x4. Gotta keep this pup in good shape.

18. Feb 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ

Sounds like the exact same problem I'm having. It's bullshit, but at least they are warrantying it for you. After 3 attempts at fixing it they decided to just void my warranty and say it must have been something that I did to cause the problem.
    I have spoken to a lemon lawyer about it and am waiting for my case to go to court. It will probably be around summer time before that happens, but hopefully I get a settlement. I just want the cost of the 4wd equipment. Whatever Toyota would charge for a new Transfercase, actuators, and 4wd ECU is fine with me. I know I can do the FJ t case swap for around $1000.

19. Feb 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    cbreze

cbreze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bend, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '12 T4R, '74 LC, '88,'98 04' pickups.
    I don't understand why toyota thought it a good idea to go with electronic over the old standard manual style. If it ain't broke why fix it? I'm very hesitant to get a new tacoma and will stick with my 04's manual 4x4 as long as I can. For what they charge for these trucks this really is unacceptable. Where's the legendary Toyota quality???

20. Feb 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    tig1

tig1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    n fabs,window visor tonneau ,bilstein 5100's all round.245/75R16Toyo A/T II
    i know my 2009 clunks if i shift from 4wd to 2wd when i'm standing still,but it is quiet if i do it moving.of course i don't shift it enough on and off as i should.

later tig1

Products Discussed in

To Top