1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has the "Pop N Lock" installed and how do you like it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by khfactor, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Dec 15, 2007 at 1:21 PM
    khfactor

khfactor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    Just installed the Pop & Lock which took me like 5 minutes after "unscrewing 15 screws" that the instruction tells you to... However, I did not use the "2 ROD EXTENDERS" that came with the Pop & Lock as my gate seem to operate without problems. The instruction sheet tell you to disconnect and remove the "ROD EXTENDER" if you cannot close the gate. Did anyone use the ROD extenders and still able to operate the gate? Just curious !!

I also did the HOSE CLAMP thing on the pivot just to double up on security aspect.

AND finally, I also noticed how chintzy the Gate is made as opposed to my ol' 02 Ranger FX4 4.0 4x4 which was built with solid metals (and heavy too). Man-o-man!!! The body parts inside the gate are really "THIN" and I have to remember to remind my 300 lb buddy to NOT step on the gate when we are ready to haul some dirt in the spring.... :sorry:

2. Dec 15, 2007 at 2:04 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Try locking the tailgate and opening it now... I'll bet you can without those extenders.

I left them off mine and realized you could, so they went in before I bolted everything back together.

And now you see why I reinforced mine and others want the tailgate TSB done! You don't believe how cheap/weak it is until you crack that sucker open for the first time. I swear the trunk lid on my Corolla has better bracing.... :rolleyes:

3. Dec 15, 2007 at 4:28 PM
    khfactor

khfactor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.

I tested the locking mechanism about a dozen times before I bolt everything back and they worked without having the ROD EXTENDERS installed. It seemed to work fine without them...... So I left them off. As for the gate, you are right, it either needs YOUR mod or I need a copy of the Tailgate TSB so I can get the new gate from the dealer should I ever need (before my warranty runs out...). Or buy a junk yard Ranger truck tailgate and mod it to fit my Taco ? . :rolleyes:

Speaking of the Tailgate TSB, can you direct me to a link where I can get the Tailgate TSB printed out??? Thanks.

4. Dec 15, 2007 at 4:36 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have tried looking for the pl5220 for the compartments, with no luck. Does anyone have a lead on these yet? Thanks.

5. Dec 15, 2007 at 5:48 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    You may have to yank up on the handle a little harder than normal to get it to open. I'm not saying to try to break it. Now that I think about it, I may have left those extenders out until my father in law opened it while it was locked... He was so used to yanking up on his old, rusty chevy that a normal pull for that still opened my locked tailgate. I may have opened it back up to put those in after that. I don't remember for sure... :eek: It was over a year ago.

As for the TSB it's TSB BO018-07.
    Read this thread: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t223378.html
    The pics of the "new, improved" tailgate don't impress me (and several other people) much.

6. Dec 15, 2007 at 10:10 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Sorry - off topic:

There aren't any 'aftermarket' options for Homelink. It's a proprietary thing.

Believe me, I researched all this myself.

I ended up buying a homelink auto-dimming mirror off ebay and it works GREAT!! This mirror was actually removed from another vehicle that had it.

Or - you can buy the vehicle parts & rip the homelink box out. My husband bought a homelink visor off ebay - he ripped the guts out of it and installed it in our corvette. Here's a writeup (if anyone cares):
    http://www.lieblweb.com/TechLinks/CorvetteHomelink/C5Homelink.htm

Before I bought the homelink mirror - I actually ordered a 4Runner upper console and thought I could swap out the homelink transmitter into my upper console. No go...atleast, not easily. I didn't want to sacrifice a perfectly new & returnable (expensive) console not knowing whether I could make it all work.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Dec 17, 2007 at 10:39 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    I did not used those extenders and the tailgate lock it is working fine since I installed it.

For you dbbd1, follow this link it will land you on truckaddons, they have it. Hope it is useful.

Item Ref. Price ea. Qty. Description
    P44PL5220 $38.55 1 Pop N Lock, Tailgate Lock, 05-up Toyota Tacoma Compartment Lock

Trailblazers/Truckaddons.com
    1098 E. New Circle Rd
    Lexington, KY40505
    (859)231-7484
    (859)977-1693 fax

8. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab 2 WhDr - SR5 - Impulse R
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Hitch WeatherTech Matts Pop N' Lock Pioneer Deck/HD/Blue Tooth/USB
    I put one on in June and used it all summer, no problems. Winter is here in NY and that sucker seized up on me. I had to use a small baster/syringe to squirt some water in to wash out the salt. I hate NY!!!! Anyway, I did notice that I was able to yank hard on the handle to open the gate even with it locked (no extenders). Its only a mild deterent but it keeps the honest from being "curious". I would put another one on if this one seized up completely. This summer those extenders are going on with the hose clamp deal as well.

I like the way it looks to, I have the impulse red and the black lock blends well.

9. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:45 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    But please do not buy from them (Truckaddons), they will steal from you? That is for sure!

10. Mar 6, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    I just keep my Undercover tonneau locked and that takes care of the tailgate. Of course if they are serious they'll just break those two locks and take the cover and the tailgate. Locks of any kind just keep honest people honest. A 1911 keeps them at bay. :cool:

11. Mar 6, 2008 at 7:50 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    What problem did you have with them? Let me know (either here or with a PM), please.

Thanks.

12. Mar 7, 2008 at 2:22 AM
    rynoondew

rynoondew Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner Double Cab
    what tonneau cover you have on there? I like it...it looks like it folds?? does it?

13. Mar 9, 2008 at 9:39 AM
    mmatheny

mmatheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic
    BakFlip MX4
    Put my PopnLock on yesterday - took 10 minutes (plus a nasty plastic cut from the tailgate panel!). Mine is powdercoated aluminum, and I got it for $35 + tax locally!! (I think the guy undercharged me!) But anyhoo, it looks like it was factory installed, and is very strong - would take a crowbar to pry off. Not sure about the posts about it being plastic - not the case for mine.

14. Mar 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    It's a 1st gen Bakflip. I have the 2nd Gen Bakflip G2. They fixed a lot of defects that PiercedTiger experienced with his.

15. Mar 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Of course you know we need pictures.

16. Mar 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

What he said! Somehow I missed the post above.... :confused:

17. Mar 18, 2008 at 6:30 AM
    mmatheny

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    BakFlip MX4
    Well, I would but I need to figure out a way to shrink a 2.2mb file down to 97kb (what a stupid limit on attachments - my RC forums allow my raw pics to upload with no problem!)

18. Mar 18, 2008 at 6:40 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    If you host on photobucket.com they get resized, and then you can use the [​IMG] to post the image here.

Or download paint.net (www.getpaint.net) to do that. It's similar to Photoshop, but free. Well, legally free anyway. :D

19. Mar 18, 2008 at 7:20 AM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    But what a stupid way of saying I do not know how to do it, if you ask we can help, do not just complaing about your knowledge.

20. Mar 18, 2008 at 7:20 AM
    mmatheny

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    BakFlip MX4
    Here it is.

PopnLock.jpg