1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has the "Pop N Lock" installed and how do you like it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by khfactor, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Mar 18, 2008 at 7:22 AM
    mmatheny

mmatheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic
    BakFlip MX4
    It's a limitation the forum providers are applying - my RC forums us the same forum software, and allow larger attachments.

I finally used paint.net - get over it.

2. Mar 18, 2008 at 7:29 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.

And if you use Windows any version, "Paint" works equally for the stretch/skew needs, there are percentages "%" of the original to get it done fast, use the 20% or less and there is no need to download any other program from anywhere.

3. Mar 18, 2008 at 7:38 AM
    mmatheny

mmatheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic
    BakFlip MX4
    Well, my issue was I found many free tools, but they would not tell me the final image size for the reduction I applied (kinda hit and miss!) But paint.net shows you the final size for a given reduction.
    Thanx for the tips guys.

4. Mar 18, 2008 at 9:31 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I have Photoshop CS2 and find the "save for web" option works great! Not sure if paint.net has something similar, but I know what you mean about trial and error before. The "save for web" option lets you adjust quality and a few other things to tweak the size. I've been using that a LOT recently! :D

The main reason for the size limit is probably bandwidth as well as server storage. Too many large images and some of the users here wouldn't be able to load the pages.

5. Mar 18, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
  6. Mar 19, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    txtoy

txtoy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    So how involved/difficult was the wiring and does it affect your ability to remove the tailgate now?

7. Mar 29, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    pmosin

pmosin Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab 4x4 TRD 6spd
    ARE Camper shell
    So I installed my PL5200 (manual) Pop & Lock today on my '07, was pretty fast n easy. Took about 20 minutes from unbuttoning to done.

The instructions say to use these plastic rod extenders, but seems that the pegs that are on the extenders don't fit the holes in the existing plastic rod retainers (pegs slightly too big).

I didn't want to dicker with it further, but like others have mentioned in this thread, my PL5200 appears to lock just fine without them, so I guess I wonder if they are really necessary? I might give P&L a call tomorrow to find out the scoop.

8. Jun 17, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    MAPLENUTS

MAPLENUTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVEN
    East Coast, USA
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT TACOMA 4X4 L/B
    Stock
    Were the extenders necessary?

9. Jun 17, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    I will say that its alright.

The locking mechanism isnt very smooth and feels somewhat fragile.
    The handle scoops towards the tailgate so you can get a real good grip on it when youre lowering the tailgate.
    Mine tends to lock on its own after I open it and close it a couple times while being unlocked.

10. Jun 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    TXTOY - I went with the electronic P-n-L for my TRD Sport too...Love it...Have a hard Extang Cover on the bed...with tailgate locked, someone would need a pry-bar to get in...and removing tailgate is only made more difficult by having to take electrical tape off a second wireing harness and pop that one out too...Other pluses include - no need to add ANOTHER key to the key ring...Get to keep Original tailgate handle (I've heard some complain the P-n-L handles feel a little cheaper that the OEM)..

I did wire mine to the driver's side door though...one click on the Key Fob and I'm ready to start throwing junk in the back...

11. Jun 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    Ghoster

Ghoster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner DCSB
    I put one on mine yesterday, just the plain, no power version. Its better than nothing, that's for sure. I have a viper alarm on the truck, if you used enough force to break the lock it would definitely set off the alarm. Seems like a good idea for little $$$.

12. Jun 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I have the electric pop n lock on my tailgate, dont know what I'd do without it, extremely convenient, locks with the back doors. My only quarrel with the whole kit was the 'connectors' they give you to install the wiring. It requires you to piece the existing wires in the door, which are incorrectly labeled in the instructions, and doesn't even provide a solid connection.... but it works!

13. Jun 18, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    I did have a HELL of a time finding the right wires....and then I already had my hard tonnau cover on...installed the lock in the tailgate (in the locked position) and closed the tailgate before I had it wired up....basically I was locked out of the bed of my truck until I found those right wires....
    :rofl:
    Gotta be able to laugh at yourself right?

14. Aug 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    DaveR

DaveR Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    '06
    Old thread but wanted to add some new information:

Installed the Pop and Lock PL5200 (no power) tailgate lock into the '06 Tacoma and within 1 month the tailgate was stuck closed with no hope in sight.

Searched the forums and interwebs with no luck so I took the thing apart and searched for the issue. The other posts refer to malfunctions in the extender tabs or locking rods in the tailgate but it turns out my issue was with the Pop and Lock itself.

Wanted to post my fix in case anyone else comes across this issue:

The photo is a picture of the internal workings of the PL5200 - I discovered that my issue was that the bar that prevents the tailgate handle from engaging the locking system was forever stuck in the "locked" position. This was due to the screw on the top being loose and thus not engaging the "arc'ed washer" thing that is supposed to twist when the key is turned in the lock. By aligning the "arc'ed washer" correctly and tightening the screw, the bar was appropriately controlled by the lock mechanism and the system works as intended.

No idea why the screw came loose - but it is a quick fix if you ever find yourself in a situation where the PL5200 does not "unlock". :confused:

PL5200.jpg

15. Aug 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Interesting. After 1 winter in here NY my lock was so packed with salt/sand/corrosion that I couldn't even get the key into the lock.

How did you get to the internal parts with the tailgate locked closed?

16. Aug 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    t_e

t_e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    miami,fl
    Haven't gotten around to install it but i acquired an actual door lock out of an oldschool landcruiser to put in my tailgate. Need to have a locksmith re-key it to my key and drill a hole in my tailgate. Hate the thought of having an extra key just for the tailgate so i hate pop-n-lock.

17. Aug 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    The P&L (non-electric) was one of my first mods. I took the time to apply 3M paint protector on my tailgate while I had the tailgate taken apart. Every 6 months or whenever I remember, I squirt a little bit of gun lube into the key hole. So far not a single issue. Has opened and closed since day 1 without a hiccup. Also moved my rear view camera to a little better angle.

I have a tonneau cover during the winter and it would take 30 seconds to take it if I didn't have a locking tailgate. I like the fact it doesn't have power. The action only gets used when I need it.

18. Aug 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    DaveR

DaveR Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    '06
    Unscrew the top line of T-30 screws, pulled off the plastic cover top of the tailgate (little clips hold it on - you feel like you're going to break it when you pull it off but they are durable). Unscrew the rest of the T-30 screws on the back tailgate cover.

Obviously you can't pull the cover off when its closed, but with the top part off you can pull it back far enough to get your hand in there and pull the latching bars to manually open it.

The lock doesn't prevent the latch bars from operating - only prevents the handle from engaging.

Hope this helps!

19. Aug 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Ah that makes sense. Thanks! Luckily when mine seized up I had it unlocked so I just opened the tailgate, uninstalled the lock, and tossed it in the trash.

Products Discussed in

To Top