1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has Tonneau covers on their Taco?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by gsm, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Dec 4, 2007 at 11:02 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Those bent a couple weeks after I got them. High-centered in a big ceral-bowl-like ATV trail. The truck rocked back and forth on them with all 4 tires off the ground a few times. :eek: Needless to say it made me realize I need sliders, but haven't had the money for them yet.

No, i haven't done a write up... Maybe I should... lol

2. Jan 10, 2008 at 6:56 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    SnugTop Cover Here!

3. Jan 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
  4. Jan 10, 2008 at 7:37 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

How's that working out for you now? I sent an email to Bak after seeing how they redesigned it congratulating them on fixing all the problems I had. The lady that responded back asked for information to send me a replacement G2! Haven't heard anything since then, but I'm wondering if I should expect a package from them soon. lol Not sure what I'll do with it if they actually send me one though. :laugh:

5. Jan 10, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    So far so good. I haven't routed the drain tubes yet so it still gets wet in the box when it rains. But it doesn't look overly wet in there after a rain. Also, the slight ripples in the rubber that I mentioned in my original post seems to have settled down more so it's more flush. I would like to push the cover forward about 1/4" as the tailgate pushes up on the back of the cover. The easy-on knobs that they included interfere at the front rail so I couldn't quite push it up all the way. I may just replace them with standard locking nuts. It's either that or remove the front rail (which I won't do now that I've seen your Hi-lift Jack mount).

6. Jan 10, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    A couple things:
    1. Try capping those drain holes first! I drilled the holes in my bed, rain the lines, and water never drained through them! It ran out the tailgate end of the rails instead. So try capping them to see if that keeps your bed dry. Now I want to figure out a way to fill those holes again... :rolleyes:
    2. DON'T remove the front rail!!!! It's the only thing stiffening the front of the bed! I took mine off to get the cover to fit, and there's nothing else supporting that section of composite material so it flexed like a piece of cardboard. :eek:
    I suppose you could try using wing nuts instead of the knobs. Would still let you remove the cover easily enough if you wanted to.

7. Jan 10, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Wing nuts sound like a good idea. I'll try capping the drain holes too. The clear hoses they included are pretty large (1/2") and it doesn't look good.

8. Jan 10, 2008 at 8:04 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, they don't look good, didn't do what they were supposed to, and things tended to get caught on them. Now with the cover off I have 2 holes to fill.... :(

Also, your weather strips are closer to the bed rails than mine were so you should get less water in than I did. I would think anything that got in could sit in the rails until it dries out.

9. Jan 10, 2008 at 8:14 PM
    420Tacoma

420Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Doublecab Short Bed TRD Sport
    None. Stock with options - Roof rack, running boards, hood scoop, etc.
    anyone with snug top tonneau? or camper? Please show pics, thanks.

10. Jan 10, 2008 at 8:26 PM
    sataco

sataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    san antonio tx
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 PRERUNNER, ARMOR LID, UWS SIDE STEPS,
    [​IMG]
    heres a pic of my Armorlid, one piece easy to remove. i love it.

11. Jan 10, 2008 at 9:06 PM
    ED R

ED R Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is there any rattling or other road noise with the Armor Lid?

12. Jan 11, 2008 at 6:54 AM
    sataco

sataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    san antonio tx
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 PRERUNNER, ARMOR LID, UWS SIDE STEPS,
    not that i can tell, it has a foam rubber seal all the way around the bottom.

13. Jan 15, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    dack9877

dack9877 New Member

Member:
    Does anybody have this roll up cover? Looks good but I dont know about the VELCRO sides? Is VELCRO reliable enough in wet conditions and for security purposes?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank-u, Cheers

14. Jan 15, 2008 at 2:31 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    If you want security, I would not go with ANY soft cover. Someone jacking your stuff just needs to slice it open with a knife. They don't even need to mess with opening it.

As for weather, I don't know. I've seen a few people that have ones that use velcro, but don't know how they hold up to water.

15. Jan 15, 2008 at 2:50 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    In addition to being easy to slice open with a knife or razor, one thing I always worry about with velcro is it looses it's stickiness after repeated separations (maybe they use better stuff than I had access to). I used to use the heavy duty stuff to mount music players on my motorcycle. Eventually, with repeated removal, it would wear out and the item wouldn't stick very well. Those that use the velcro covers could probably say better than I how well it holds up through repeated use.

16. Jan 15, 2008 at 3:14 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I have an Access tonneau which uses velcro. As I was researching this, I was concerned about it, but I was told it was special heavy duty stuff. I've only had my tonneau for a few months now, so I can't speak personally about the longevity. Still, it holds well and keeps the water out. Plus, I really only have to open it every few weeks. If you hauled large items on a regular basis, it may not work for you, or it may wear out faster. It fit the sweet spot for me between price and being able to get it out of the way for large cargo without forethought and a helper.

17. Jan 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I have an UnderCover hard tonneau. There's a full 17" of room under it when it's closed and there are no leaks. It does fit below the rails but when it's on I don't use them. It weighs less than 50 pounds and I can put it on or off alone in just a couple minutes. I'd post a picture but I'd have to wash and wax the truck again first. If you really want to see what it looks like look at sataco's picture and imagine there's an emblem that says UnderCover on the left edge. :D

As far as I can tell I get 1 - 1.5 MPG better with the cover on. I'll experiment with this with a scangauge when the weather warms up in the spring.

18. Jan 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM
    wes

wes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    07 DC sport silver V6 auto
    URD CAI,URD Y-Pipe,,Wet-okle covers,Silverstar headlgt bulbs,Undercover bed cover,black nerf bars,Alpine 9883 Alpine speakers,Pioneer 10" sub,SIRIUS sat. Redline hood struts, white gauge led and shifter light "mod"
    I have an Undercover brand.It installs fairly quick,one person "on&off"in about 5 min.,weighs about 55-60lbs.I have had no water leak issues with it.ordered mine from truckchamp.com

19. Jan 16, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    SteelCity

SteelCity Wherever I May Roam

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Rd DC LB PreRunner SR5 V6
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
    I wanted something just for trips, so I went fairly cheap at $200 with a Tuff-Tonneau. I love it. It has the peel-and-seal sides, so no velcro and fits tight as a drum with no leaks. It has a locking tail piece that rotates and tightens the cover.

20. Jan 16, 2008 at 10:02 PM
    nrmedic2008

nrmedic2008 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport 6sp Manual
    I have a ARE LoPro cover. The cover is expensive, but you get your money's worth. Here is the link for more info www.4are.com

Products Discussed in

To Top