1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has Wheelers Offroad 1st gen replacement leafs?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by scocar, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    humtaco

humtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've got the 5 leaf packs on my 96 with Bilstein 5100s front and rear. I didn't measure the stock height but it looks like it brought the rear up 1 - 1.5". My current configuration is front shocks set at stock height and measuring from hub centers the rear is 1" higher than the front with an empty bed. With a Snugtop cap it settled 1/2" in the rear leaving a 1/2 difference between front and rear. I prefer some rake since I haul loads pretty much every weekend and it helps keep the headlights from pointing up too much. I also added Timbrens which makes a big improvement if you do much hauling - they don't have much of an effect on the ride when unloaded. The empty ride is overall great and loaded with the Timbrens is very good.

2. Mar 18, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Dude, this is supremely helpful for my potential application. I've been looking at Bilstein info all day. I hope it helps others decide, too.

I'm assuming that you kept the stock coils up front, right?

1-1.5 with the 5-pack in the rear (OK, that sounded bad) is exactly what they say, and it helps to know with the Snugtop load included dropping it about .5 inch. From the reviews I've read, the 5100s give an improved ride, and it sounds like going stock height to +.85 in the front would be perfect, and preserve the sweeter feel at lower lifts.

This is why I joined. Thanks a bunch.

3. Mar 19, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    TacomaDan

TacomaDan Don't go off ninjin

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Fully Not Loaded
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow
    I am interested also. I want the 5 leafs with 5100's. I want the ride to be better cause my is awful right now. I hate the procomp shocks that are on it. And im sure with 128k miles, replacing the leafs will make it ride so much better. How many people are we up to including me?

4. Mar 19, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    mjhenks

mjhenks Well-Known Member

Member:
    So.Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Jade Green TRD V6 DC
    Help me out guys. I am very interested in the group buy. I am only trying to solve axle wrap and want to keep the ride height stock. Have already tried packing the drive shaft joint. That helped a little but not for very long. My leafs are flat under no load condition.

There are some post here that say new leafs solved the axle wrap problem but one that said it did not. Don't have the $500 if it is not going to solve axle wrap. Any comments?

M

5. Mar 19, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    I think 1 person with the 4-pack said it didn't help axle wrap too much, and Will said the 5-pack helped quite a bit.

I would like to here more people chime in on solving axle wrap too. So please post, folks!

Also, if we get 15% off, it is $390 (IIRC, having IE issues at the moment) for the 5-pack, NO TAX, but add shipping....

No offical list yet. My gut feeling is we will easily get 10 (and 10% off) and likely get 15 (15% off!). Indication so far is that the discount applies only to the leafs, FYI. Shipping will vary by your location. These are heavy...

I will figure this out and start an official Group Buy thread over the weekend, then we will build a head count. This is my first time attempting a GB, so I need to get my head around it and talk to Yotadan WHEN I AM NOT AT WORK....;)

6. Mar 19, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    OK, timing is everything: FRIDAY BUMP!

:taco::taco::taco::rockband::taco::taco::taco::drunk:

We still want to hear about (and see) your Wheelers Offroad leaf replacements!

Setting up a group buy this weekend! Give us all some good feedback so we can make our decisions about how to use our hard-earned money and get 15 people lined up for a 15% discount!

Give it up, 1st gen tribe!

7. Mar 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    [​IMG]

this is the setup i got...minus my 5100's. the difference in the ride is awesomesauce. dont have any with them installed, but i'll get a few pics soon.

8. Mar 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    humtaco

Member:
    Yep, stock coils upfront. Everything except leafs, shocks and the rear bumpstops is stock.

Here's some images. I put 1/2" blocks under the tops of the U-bolts to help achieve the correct spacing for the Timbrens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mar 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    These pictures are great, thanks.

Intersting lack of arch, but I guess this is pretty normal with the stock design of attachment points/angle and only a single shackle in the rear.

$1,000,000 question: did this fix, or significantly reduce, axle wrap for you?

10. Mar 20, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Ok, my interest is peaked in a group buy. Especially since the passenger side leaf pack is pretty much flat.

11. Mar 20, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Kewl. I will be dealing with this after helping my chica change her oil and finishing yard work...stay tuned.

12. Mar 21, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    humtaco

Member:
    These images are with the Snugtop on which weighs maybe 150lbs ?? and you're right that there isn't a lot of arch to them.

I guess it was an axle wrap issue I had before installing these leafs. I would get a pretty significant shudder when shifting from 4th to 5th gear unless I gave it just the right amount of gas when releasing the clutch. Now I only get the shudder under certain conditions like shifting too fast from 4th to 5th and not giving it any gas when letting the clutch out. I originally got the new leafs to increase my load capacity while at the same time maintaining a smooth empty ride. Fixing the shudder was a very nice fringe benefit. I notice that right after I pump lube into the driveshaft slip joint there is absolutely no shudder no matter how I shift gears.

If you do order these 5 leaf packs Wheelers recommends the longer U-bolts but I think I could have gotten by with the stock ones but since I added 1/2 blocks under the top of the U-bolts as part of the Timbren install the increased length was necessary. Before adding the blocks there was a lot of extra thread sticking out at the bottom. I know many people say to replace U-bolts but the stock ones are a better quality than the replacement ones. I'd order the longer U-bolts to have on hand but don't open the bag until you're sure you'll use them that way you should be able to return them for a refund.

Before removing the stock leafs try to take some measurements or make some marks to use as reference points so that your axle will be straight after installing the new leafs or have a 4 wheel alignment done latter.

Remember to apply torque evenly in a pattern, first get the bolts to say 20 lbs torque then 40 lbs so on until you get the correct torque and recheck them after a few miles and again after maybe 50 miles and then 100 miles.

13. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Thanks again. Good tip on the U's. I thought I would buy them anyway, too, for the same reason.

With regard to indexing the axle/spring location and alignment, I assume you mean laterally, rather than rotationally?

Hmm, now you have me thinking about the rotation and drive line angle. I just looked at the FSM, but couldn't find any relevant details, so I guess the procedure to allow the driveline and diff to be oriented neutrally where they want to be would be to:
    1. Attach the front spring hanger.
    2. Install the U-bolts snug, but not tight, to allow a little rotation during assembly.
    3. Jack the assembly up and attach the shackles at the rear.
    4. Makes sure the U's are loose.
    5. Torque down the front and back spring hangers to spec.
    6. Torque U-bolts.

Yes?

I know there are some write-ups around, but they aren't always too specific, and I have no idea if instructions come with the springs.

14. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    pretty much. and i gotta say....i went with new u-bolts cause of the height difference in the springs, and the fact that mine were rusty as hell....and the new extended ones are grade 8 or better.

a suggestion to those who may get new springs.......get new main eye bolts. had i to do it all over again...i would. mine were rusted solid into the sleeve, and i had to cut everything apart...........having new main eye bolts woulda saved alot of time and headache.

15. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Yeah, I was gonna get the eye bolts, too, eevn though mine don't look bad, I've heard stories...

I hope YotaDan will consider applying the group buy discount to the U and eye bolts too, as an install kit. Seems reasonable to me...

16. Mar 21, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    OK, to all those paying attention.

I have PM'd YotaDan with a few questions and clarifications regarding the replacement leaf group buy. As soon as he responds, I'll post in the GB section. We are looking at 15% off these replacement leafs if 15 people or more sign up. Do your homework...March 31 deadline.

:burnrubber:

17. Mar 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    bump for ya'll getting new springs!!!:D

18. Mar 22, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:

:woot:

Thanks, Will.

YotaDan has answered my questions. I'll post the group buy tonight after work.

:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::rockband::taco::taco::taco:

19. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
  20. Mar 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Ok... anyone still watching this thread? The group buy ends tomorrow at MIDNIGHT... 3/31/2010... We need people... 15% off if 15 people buy in.. what the heck happened to everyone?

*mutters* Think I'm gonna have to go start breakin' leaf packs on people...... :spy::smash:

Products Discussed in

To Top