1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who is the highest Military Rank and Pay grade?

Discussion in 'Military' started by solus, Dec 19, 2009.

?

What paygrade are you?

1. E1-E3

158 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. E4

302 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. E5

458 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. E6

253 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. E7-E8

212 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. E9

63 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. CWO2-5

84 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. O1-O2

142 vote(s)
    6.9%
  9. O3

114 vote(s)
    5.5%
  10. O4

76 vote(s)
    3.7%
  11. O5+ (I doubt it)

197 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Dec 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    jdavis92

jdavis92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab, 2.7L, 5spd
    Stock
    In 1996, while I was stationed in Pearl Harbor, Navy played Cal in the Aloha Bowl.

We were on the beach in Waikiki when some snot nosed Midshipmen tried to give our group grief. Talking like that already had their commissions, but certainly not acting like it.

A buddy of mine flipped one of them a quarter and said, "Call your Mom and tell her you met a real sailor."

That p|ssed off the midshipmen, but there wasn't a whole lot they could do about it.

I did have the pleasure of working with some very bright and thoughtful midshipmen in my time though.

Jeff in Flagstaff

2. Dec 25, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    xxxotiknightz

xxxotiknightz taco newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Titus
    NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCLB
    ^^ Thats hilarious.

3. Jan 1, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

The officer pay scale doesn't include them because they are on a cadet pay scale which resides between the O and E scales...and really the pay scale isn't the important part...The order of precedence is.

Here is some Army policy ( http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_20.pdf ) that CLEARLY shows cadets on a list of precedence higher than enlisted members. Later in that pub is puts cadets after WOs but before NCOs for temporary command.
    I don't have access to great internet right now, so I can't pull all the service directives and related law, but this isn't just an Army policy.

The authority to command is usually withheld completely with special exceptions given via local commanders thru qualification, OJT, or emergent circumstances.

And I've said it before - SMART cadet won't tell any enlisted member that they are the senior person, much like a smart officer won't and shouldn't need to. The Middie in the Pearl story was a moron and likely would have been told so if he reported the incident.

4. Jan 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM
    2012SilverSport

2012SilverSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD Sport Double Cab
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,

LMAO!! ya something like that.

5. Jan 1, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,

Thank you I appreciate the information.

I understand Army policy as well as Marines who have similar policy in regards to Cadets, but also have entirely different military structures from the CG. I however have not read CG policy that mirrors or even approaches Cadet rank structure (not to say it is not policy, I am confident there is instruction on it, I have not read it).

My intent was not to discredit nor cause debate, if it was taken that way I apologize. how I interpreted your comment though was to say that a Cadet will report to a tad unit in a role as an officer (much the same as an ensign or JG), which is not necessarily true.

6. Jan 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

Not sure how the military structure of the Army/Marines is that different from the CG. The titles are different, but the pay scales and laws behind them and federal and apply equally to all the armed services. You'll notice that Army policy places Navy middies in the same place as Army cadets...and the Navy and CG are very closely mirrored.

And you are right - They report as a cadet for training based on their cadet rank...For more senior cadets that will be positions that mirror the JOs and the more junior cadets will tend towards the non-rate/PO life. They are all senior to the enlisted crew in the strict order of things, but again...A cadet that makes a big deal out of that or tries to run the show will likely get a talking to. And even if presented an opportunity where a cadet would be "in charge" they would be sorely mistaken to disregard the council of the enlisted crew...Just like any CO or Supervisor.

And I just post this info to ensure none of the young Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, or Coasties on the board get bad gouge that leads them to bad decisions.

7. Jan 1, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:

I agree entirely that (And I just post this info to ensure none of the young Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, or Coasties on the board get bad gouge that leads them to bad decisions.) is the most important!

8. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    Until they formally put on their bars, they hold no rank. Their pay category is also listed as 'special' as they hold no formal paygrade.

But that's how I feel about it.

9. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    I cannot find any instruction but in naval aviation midshipmen at rag (training squadrons) are considered special ranks and even an E-1 is higher on the command then a midshipmen. They are at Training squadrons to get on the job training from the enlisted instructors and LT instructors. The navy policy may be different but that's how naval aviation treats midshipmen and cadets for this reason.
    I did 4 years of ROTC that is my source and I have worked with 7 rag squadrons all using the same instruction to train midshipmen in between classes where they get to go out to their field for OJT that is the naval aviation SOP. The navy and army policy are separate documents.

10. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Okay....I've explained it. Believe and do what you please.

11. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
  12. Jan 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Jeez. When I joined there was about a 5 sec turn around time from putting your name on the MK list, to going. Can you not strike it anymore?
    I believe HS and PA were the only two rates that had over a year wait. Seemed like they were cutting the numbers as I happily got out. Sounds like they've really thinned the ranks.

13. Jan 7, 2014 at 3:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:

Alked with a guy last night....Been on his cutter 3 years waiting for HS. Leaves for school in Feb...

14. Jan 11, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    Can't strike many rates anymore. Have you seen the new prays?!?! Times are definitely changing!!

15. Jan 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Presume prays was autocorrect for praq's. Yeah, the erats system is interesting. We haven't been sucked into it yet but for the rates that have def keeps people from gun decking them.

I haven't checked the latest A School list but wait times now are insane, 4+ years for some.

16. Jan 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    2012SilverSport

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    Lol, yes I meant prac's. D?#! autocorrect

17. Feb 24, 2014 at 7:19 PM
    Viper72

Viper72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kurt
    Orange Park, Fl
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 tacoma Double Cab Long Bed
    3" Toytech spacer/leveler lift URD Intake Eagle Eye headlights Pioneer Avic-D3 head unit 7000k crystal blue fog lights Pioneer review camera Body chop mod Avid light bar Leer cap
    Looks like I'm senior.... E9 Active... BMCM

18. Feb 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    sitecr2

sitecr2 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    Linex Liner, APEX bumper, Jumper LEDs, APEX sliders
    O6 - AF Retired - 2010
    28 years (F-4s, Trainers, JTAC (AF Airborne living & providing air support w/ Army - 172SIB, 75th Ranger Rgt, 18ABN, 3Corps) plus required staff qweep).

Got my Tacoma 03 after being deployed in AFG w/ the Regiment and seeing Tacomas taking a beating over there and keep going. Some of the special operators we worked with had their own Tacomas.
    Good thing about deploying a few times, Less miles on a 10yr old truck. :rolleyes:

19. Mar 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    jchav

jchav Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Irving Tx
    Vehicle:
    Red 2.7L 4x4 Manual
    none yet
    I'm just a lowly LT, O-2 in the Texas Guard haha

20. Mar 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM