1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

who likes or dislikes nirvana

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Neal11, Nov 23, 2009.

?

like/dislike nirvana

Poll closed Nov 30, 2009.
  1. like

72.9%
  2. dislike

27.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 23, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I liked "Bleach" and "Nevermind" but not much after that. Maybe because they became successful. Alot of good bands hit it big mainstream wise and then start putting out crap due to record label requirements, newfound pussy, etc. etc.

Besides I'm a Washingtonian so I'm required to like them and vote for Cris Novoselic every time he runs for office.

2. Nov 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    There are also bands who make crap music, then make it big, and then keep making crap music...much like Nirvana.

3. Nov 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Most "Dislikes" are from the twentysomethings that were barely old enough to remember Nirvana. Hell, I remember when Cobain was living on the street corner near my house(Okay, not really-but he did).

4. Nov 23, 2009 at 9:20 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I'm sorry that I'm not the right age by your standards to know what music sounds good and requires talent and what doesn't. Age has nothing to do with good music.

5. Nov 23, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Whoa there Chatty Cathy, it was just an observation not the rule. Don't take everything so personal. In fact, I didn't know what your age was since I didn't see it listed below your avatar so for you to be included in my observation was purely coincidental.

6. Nov 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I liked the band Nirvana, and have a couple of their cd's. I remember playing the hell outta those cd's, and practicing to some of the song on my drums.
    But having said that I really don't care a whole lot about Kirk, there is no reason why he needed to kill himself. If the drugs played a part in it then he should have not been taking the drugs in the first place.
    I think he was somewhat of a prima donna and very immature, which I guess is common with a person in his situation. I'm mad that his daughter grew up without a dad and his wife having to deal with this whole situation.

But I'm kinda tired of these band threads though, I think they are pointless. Nirvana doesn't exist anymore and that is something we can all agree on. We bark back and fourth on personal opinions, pointless.

7. Nov 24, 2009 at 2:13 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

I feel compelled to "weigh-in" on the above.

1) There are atleast 10 bands I can name off the top of my head that have always made crap music, made it big and continue to produce and release shit music.

2) Being a "twentysomething" doesn't make a damn bit of difference that Nirvanas music sounds like it was produced on a budget of eleventeen dollars, and Kurt Cobain sounded like a whiny bitch (as mentioned by another poster in this thread).

3) I'd rather listen to oldies, than any of the mainstream shit they play on the FM rock stations. FM radio is a pile of shit these days. They shove the shittiest music down our throats, and over play it.

4) When you make a generalization about "twentysomethings", the "twentysomethings" are going to take offense. If I made a generalization regarding "geriatrics", I'd bet the older members would take offense.

I wouldn't do that because we have alot of fan-friggin-tastic older members like Dave a.k.a OTG or OldTacomaGuy. Check him out, Dave is rad.

8. Nov 24, 2009 at 2:18 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i clicked like...because some of their less mainstream songs were pretty good

:anonymous:
    i also subscribe to the theory that Kirk didnt kill himself...but im probably in the minority here on that

*edit*
    my belief that he was killed rather than blowing his own brains out stems from a semester in a class that i didnt want to take and i forget the name of...but it had to deal with "pop" music etc etc and i wrote my final paper on OutKast :D

9. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:11 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

[​IMG]

10. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:48 AM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    Like, I can't help it, it is the music I grew up on. The early 90's rock is still my favorite.

11. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    1) That's your opinion, I bet the success of some of the bands you're thinking of would say otherwise.

2)He said it was just an observation... you even quoted it.

3) Still just your opinion.

4) Again, it's an observation, not a generalization. If you read it the wrong way that's your own fault.

12. Nov 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    brianr

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

I had a feeling you would have some image to go along with this, Benopause.

That me be just my opinion, but I'm entitled to it...just like everyone else. :thumbsup:

13. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACC CAB 4X4 V6 SR5 TRD
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    I love Nirvana. It was my only escape from the outside world. I listened to Nirvana for 4 years strait, it got me through high school! Kobain spoke to me through his lyrics, even if the shant he was talkin about made no sense at all it was soothing to me. At the end of my freshman year i became very ill and was diagnosed as having bi-polar disorder.
    From then on being on a never ending roller coaster of emotions, Kobain was there through his music. I was in and out of depression at the time. Even though Kobain is nolonger with us, it drove his music even deeper into my life.
    To me he was a savior in disguise, and i'll never forget his music ever.
    Even today, if i need an upper, i'll pop in some of Kobains work.
    I hold nothing against people who hate Nirvana, u have your own opinion and that's what makes people human.
    I do think i may have went overboard here and may have bored you, (Oh well, whatever, Nevermind. (Kurdt Kobain)).

14. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    It was produced on very little-well at least "Bleach" was and I think was released on the Sub Pop label.

For all of those that have not listened to "Bleach" whether you like or dislike Nirvana at least give it a shot. It's rough but who wants to listen to a bunch of perfectly mixed and cleaned up music anyway?

The old crustaceans on this board are too slow to come up with a response quick enough to complain. You know how hard it is to think, type and gum your oatmeal at the same time?

15. Nov 25, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    they're ok, i just never got why they were such a big deal

16. Nov 25, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Unless im at a concert I actually do want to listen to perfectly mixed music :rolleyes:

17. Nov 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    And because you don't like MY opinion doesn't mean you need to neg rep me... I'm entitled to mine also right? :thumbsup:

18. Nov 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    man i dont, musics gotten too sterile. i love the sound of music recorded in the 60's and 70's. its got a much warmer sound. hell, you can hear the squeek of the base pedal when bonham plays in zep. music has gotten to "perfect" and over produced.

19. Nov 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    brianr

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
  20. Nov 25, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    XC4ME

XC4ME Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name: