1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who plays an instrument here?

Discussion in 'Music' started by YellowDog01, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 13, 2015 at 11:18 AM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    I think I have another cable in my other guitar bag but its a swirly one which wouldn't matter just to check.

Dalandser likes this.
  2. Oct 13, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Let me know what happens! I wish I knew trucks as well as I know music gear lol. Of course trucks are a little more complicated lol

3. Oct 14, 2015 at 6:17 AM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    I got it working. I replaced the battery and evidently the battery light that I thought was supposed to come on is a light when the battery is getting low maybe. Its still not on, but I turned my amp up and its working. I did unplug the input cord on the inside of my guitar and plugged it back in to make sure I had a good connection. I do believe I need to get a new instrument cord b/c it did want to short out a little on my electric guitar. I can rub the outside of the cord and you can feel where its dry rotting I guess you can say. Also, I've got a small Traynor amp with is 10 watts. Its got gain, volume, low, mid, high knobs on it. What was be a good setting for those and what about the EQ on my acoustic? It has volume, bass, low, mid, high treble I believe thats it. It has a phase switch but I'm not sure what that does.

4. Oct 26, 2015 at 7:47 AM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    I've been playing the drums at church every other week. Me and another guy rotate Sundays. In a small corner we have the piano, a monitor, drums, and the guy playing bass guitar. The snare drums rattles some. You can't notice it when we are playing but when our pastor plays the piano or during his sermon you can hear it rattle. I think its due to the small area and sound just bouncing. I even picked the snare off the floor and it still did it. Also, I've mentioned to my wife I wish I could get a decent set for the house to practice with. Our almost 4 year old said the other day that she wanted some drums. She never heard me say anything to my wife. She likes to hear and watch me play. If we did get a set, should we just get a junior set or you think she could play around with a full size set?

5. Oct 26, 2015 at 10:00 PM
    Lfaub03

Lfaub03 4wd wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Prerunner TRD
    4wd conversion
    The seat may be a bit high, but you could totally make do with a full-size set as far as your daughter is concerned. Plus, if you had a junior set it wouldn't be the same when you're practicing for your church sessions

6. Nov 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    Tonight while I was playing the drums at church the hi hat pedal went to the floor. I was playing and before I started playing the next song the rod wing nut was towards the front and so I moved the cymbals around and when I pressed the pedal it went all the way to the floor and it made the cymbals loose. The way they've had it set up is the you really don't have to press the pedal much b/c the hi hats are set together pretty tight where there is no space in between the cymbals with foot off the pedal. I'm not sure what happened or how to fix this. I did a little research but I'm not sure if its the clutch or if I broke the stand and foot pedal. :confused:. Could someone please help me figure this out? I'm a newbie so bare with me. I'm trying to figure it out before Wednesday night.

7. Nov 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    The rod that the wing nut tightens onto will thread into another shaft inside of the cymbal stand. Open it up and look inside. It may have come unscrewed. Some pics would possibly help.

8. Nov 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Ive played in a few horrible rock bands, a couple Christian rock bands, a rock/punk/emoie cover band, most recently a progressive metal band and ive played in my church for 10 years now. I started out on guitar but moved to bass out of necessity and it stuck with me.

9. Nov 9, 2015 at 9:33 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    When did you move to a 5 string bass or did you always play one?

10. Nov 9, 2015 at 9:45 PM
    Mcdees84

Mcdees84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB-TRD O/R
    Cool thread! My main things are vocals, acoustic guitar and piano. Play bass sometimes out of necessity (which means you get you basic bass notes and that's about it), drums when nobody cares about perfect time, and can pretty much screw around on most instruments. Played in church for several years and then took over as the leader for three and a half years. Now I just jam with buddies or myself on the back porch. Nothing beats playing with a good band though.

Dalandser likes this.
  11. Nov 10, 2015 at 4:17 AM
    yota243

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    When i first started i played another band memebers 4 string but when i bought my own i went with a 5 string. Thats what the original bassist played at my church and i was kinda studying behind him.

12. Nov 11, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Right on. I am working on joining a band that has a bass player who plays a 5 string. He can get some really low notes on that thing. Sounds really deep!

13. Nov 12, 2015 at 6:17 AM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    I believe thats exactly happened. Last night I went to church early so I could look at the hi hat. I could pull the rod from the top and move it. I stuck it back down and started screwing it down and it got tight. Then I tightened the wingnut down and could move the cymbals with the pedal. The rod doesn't stick out of the top cymbal but 2-3 inches or so, is this normal too? From what I remember it used to stick up right much, so the rod might not have been pushed down and screwed in, in the past.

14. Dec 3, 2015 at 6:19 AM
    yota243

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    had to get in some practice last night for some Christmas stuff were doing at church this week end.

15. Dec 6, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    tubadude

tubadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Bagdad, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner SR5
    [​IMG] the music corner in my house. not pictures is a keyboard. can't wait tog et a place big enough to house the wife's baby grand piano. i also play several brass instruments, tuba and trumpet primarily.

JPinFL, yota243 and DrFunker like this.
  16. Dec 7, 2015 at 4:32 PM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    So I'm still alternating Sunday's at church playing the drums. I only get to practice the morning before I have to play. I'm wanting to get a set for the house but I went to the music store the other week and the guy there showed me an electronic set. The Kat percussion KT1. It is about $500 and doesn't include a seat or a bass drum pedal. I'm not sold on the idea but I could play at night when my wife and our daughter is asleep. I guess I'm just concerned I won't get the same "feel" as the acoustic set at church. What do you guys think. Are the electronic sets that bad? Also I'm seen some Simmons kits online. I'm on a budget so I can't go all out for a Roland brand

17. Dec 8, 2015 at 2:05 PM
    tubadude

tubadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Bagdad, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner SR5
    i have a buddy with one, he dont mind it, some of the cymbals sound like ass, but if it's just for rehearsal, then who really cares. one plus side is you dont have to hit near as hard. it did make band practice alot quieter, not having to battle with drums to be heard

18. Jan 23, 2016 at 3:40 AM
    JPinFL

JPinFL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4
    <<<<==== Drums
    I also play, or attempt to, guitar and bass.

19. Jan 23, 2016 at 9:45 PM
    MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pork Rind Extraordinaire

Member:
    53 Miles West of Venus
    Many & varied
    I dabble:

[​IMG]

I'm currently selling a bunch of stuff: (Firebird, Hot Rod and Lindell sold)

[​IMG]

I bought this earlier today:

[​IMG]

Selling this one:

[​IMG]

JPinFL likes this.
  20. Feb 5, 2016 at 11:06 AM
    Siktaco

Siktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Yuma
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma long travel
    Total chaos long travel kit 8" king coilovers Short course 3 link with 16” king coilovers 32 gallon rci fuel cell Msd fuel pump Mini d2s 4.0 retros 5 hella 4000s hid McNeil fenders Fiberwerx bedsides
    I have a esp viper-50 ltd that i use with a fender mustang v2 amp. but all guitar cables are currently broken :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top