1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who Should Get A ... "Purple Heart" VOTE FOR TWO

Discussion in 'Military' started by SOSHeloPilot, Mar 28, 2011.

State Status: Miltary, Former, Civilian/Should "non-traditional" injuries get a PH?

1. Military

101 vote(s)
  2. Former Military

56 vote(s)
  3. Civilian

24 vote(s)
  4. YES to PH for PTSD/Traumatic Brain Injuries/etc

97 vote(s)
  5. No to PH for PTSD/Traumatic Brain Injuries/etc

39 vote(s)
  1. Aug 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM

SOSHeloPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    South East USA
    Waiting on a 2016
    Have owned many Toyotas & Tacomas
    Here is a different wrinkle for you all to think about on ... Purple Heart vs Disability vs PTSD . . . This happened last week at the VAMC (VA Medical Center)

. . . . . . . . . . .

Early in the AM at the VAMC ... I am talking to a guy (OIF Veteran #1) who did not have a PH ... his armored vehicles hit IEDs 3 times and he had a TBI, hearing loss and mega PTSD and no PH. I am no shrink, but his PTSD was very obvious.

Veteran #1 was also having difficulty getting his disability rating above 10% because he had no PH to push through his PTSD claim faster & higher (yes, with no PH, this does unofficially happen).

. . . . . . . . . . .

About noon ... I am talking to another guy (OIF Veteran #2) who "calls the VA a good racket" :confused: and I am wondering why and ask him.

Veteran #2 got a PH from a minor injury and with that PH ... he also claimed PTSD.

Now, with a PH the VA tends to push your rating for PTSD through faster and to a higher level.

IMHO ... Veteran #2 (with a PH) did not deserve the TDIU 70% rating paid at the 100% rate ... and the Veteran #1 (without a PH) deserved a much higher rating than 10%.

Both these situations made me even more confused on this issue.
  2. Aug 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM

fjfar80 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    First Name:
    Fairfax, Virginia
    '09 TRD OR DC
    Total Chaos UCA's, King Coilover Front Suspension w/ Remote Reservoir Shocks, King / OME Dakar Rear Suspension with Remote Reservoir Shocks, DO Front Bumper, BruteForce Custom Rear Bumper, Slee Offroad Sliders, Warn w/synthetic line, Softopper, etc.
    Here are my thoughts...and a little background. I am the son of a career Special Operations guy...he served 35 years in the military and has a ton of ribbons / medals / etc. most of the reasons surrounding which are classified. So, I know the US military and I know what results from combat both physically and emotionally.

I have never served in the military due to a genetic bone disease making me ineligible for service. However, I was a private military contractor supporting various United States government efforts through the Department of Defense, Department of State, and other government agencies. I spent significant time in Iraq all over the country with some very talented and patriotic contractors. I have tons of contractor friends (all ex-military - 90% ex-special operations) who have been injured and / or killed while serving in various combat zones as contractors. Many of whom were very highly decorated while in the US military. The injuries / deaths resulted from everything from IED's to hand-to-hand combat.

So, my thoughts are that I think Purple Hearts should be reserved for those who are either military or civilian contractors directly serving on a US government contract with a US government agency (DOD, DOS, CIA, NSA, etc.) and are physically injured in direct combat activities with "enemy" forces or the implements of "enemy" forces (i.e. IED's). This should include Traumatic Brain Injuries but, should exclude PTSD.

Just my $.02. I have the utmost respect for everyone that has served and I certainly have admiration for those that are impacted by PTSD (including family and friends) but, I don't think it quantifies as a true physical wound from combat and that is what the Purple Heart was originally intended for. I also know that PTSD can be more damaging than a physical wound...but, these are just my thoughts on the subject.

- Mark
  3. Aug 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM

tostidos Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    First Name:
    Apple Valley, CA
    07 LT 6spd

I agree, I am a civilian contractor in Afghanistan right now, I had one of my co-workers/friends leave base because of shrapnel from IDF and the reason he had to leave because the military wouldn't treat him or give him pain meds. the only thing they would do is prevent infection and death. several civilians have been killed serving our country that never get honored.

That being said the soldiers that are outside the wire hands down deserve it no matter what the injury. Im not putting civilians above the military, You sacrifice so much just to be in the military. and the military is put into those sketchy situations more often than civilians.

they very rarely Issue weapons to civilians, so a vast majority of civilians have to rely on the military to step up if the base is attacked. I tell you what I'd sleep a lot better with an M-16 next to my bed.

they are removing more troops and putting more civilians in to "look" like we are drawing troops down.

Again I stress the military is on a pedestal as they should be and they definitely deserve the respect they get and even more.
  4. Sep 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Airborne09 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    First Name:
    Fort Richardson, AK
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    Touchy subject for me.
    Had a complex attack on my FOB a couple months ago, I was blown back about 15 feet by a VBIED blast got knocked out for a second, got up heard small arms and I engaged the enemy... After everything was done, I got sent to BAF for further treatment. I received my PH from shrapnel from the blast (my second award, got my first one last deployment when my truck hit and IED and broke my leg). But while I was there in BAF there were dozens of people there "with concussions" even though I know they were on the other side of the FOB and claiming they were knocked out. Granted they may have been hit by the blast wave but I highly doubt they were knocked out (all speculation I don't know for sure, but going by the way they acted). Moral of my story is, that people will claim stuff just to get ahead of the game now days so it will put more shit on their ERB and they can get out with disability. There are people out there at truly do deserve PH, but then there are fakers every where ruining it for the rest of it. That's just my opinion.
  5. Sep 5, 2012 at 4:18 AM

tx_shooter Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought

Jul 3, 2010
    First Name:
    Zech (pronounced zak)
    DFW, Texas
    06 PreRunner SR5 DC
    anti-theft Marine Corps sticker on back window, loose nut behind the wheel, Firestone Ride Rite air bags
    I say blood or breaks=PH, everything else gets a letter of Sick Call Warrior in their folder.
To Top