1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who tows stuff regularly?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 4X42HEL, Aug 30, 2010.

?

Who tows more than once every six months? (uses tow package)

Poll closed Sep 29, 2010.
  1. I do

114 vote(s)
    61.6%
  2. I do not

71 vote(s)
    38.4%
  1. Aug 30, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    pojo82

pojo82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD double cab
    flowmaster exhaust, URD cold air intake, URD MAF calibrator, Thorley Headers Billy 5100s set to 2.5 lift in front, Billy shocks with add a leaf in the rear Wet Okole seat covers
    i wont ever buy another truck if id didnt have a tow package and 4x4. i tow a boat regularly and in Wisconsin you never know if youll need the extra wheels pulling to get out of some of the landings i use.

2. Aug 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    I do. But i have a feeling that people that tow stuff are more likely to click on a poll that asks if you tow stuff regularly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aug 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    cobrakenny

cobrakenny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Crew Cab 4x4 LB
    I tow almost every day...Tacoma handles it great!

002.jpg
    moretaco 005.jpg

4. Aug 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    bdwsrjoe

bdwsrjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rio Hondo, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad 4X4
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 3" ToyTec Lift Kit, JVC InDash DVD Player with Backup Camera, 2 10" JL Audio Subs, 8K HID Headlights, 8K HID Foglights, N-Fab Nerf Steps, In-Channel Ventvisors, springfield xd40v10, mossberg 500 12ga.
    ive never heard of someone buying a truck that doesnt plan to use it for towing??? maybe you should of gone with a car, just my 2 cents.

5. Aug 30, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    cjd141985

cjd141985 Coonass

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
    OEM Fog Lights, Towing Package, 1.5" Leveling Kit, Black Badges Mod, OEM Curise Control
    4 Wheeler, boat, you name it I'll tow it!!! :headbang:

6. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I tow my 5x9 utility trailer at least once a month. It is easier to load it up with stuff instead of the bed.

7. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    4 jet skis 2-3 times per week

8. Aug 31, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I Have never towed anything in my life, but I may be getting a boat in the future. Anyway, why would you want to take it off? Also, why whould you think of putting a ball on the bumper when you have a hitch to easily attach it to? Doesn't make sense. Does it bother you that much that you would take the hitch off? Cause of the look? I just don't understand the thought of removing it. I also like the idea of the trans and oil cooler being on there, just for when I haul things in the bed too. Anything extra for keeping things run cooler I'm good with!

9. Aug 31, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    jd311

jd311 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    TN
    Vehicle:
    06 white trd sport 4x4 6spd
    URD MAF CAL, URD TCAI, Dynomax Turbo Muffler, ToyTec OME 3", PDM TSK, BHLM, Satoshi
    I'm running 33"tires and my trucks a six speed so pulling my boat out of the water I run in 4lo to keep from trashing the clutch.But out on the road up to highway speeds my truck is great. I haul my boat at least once a week during the spring and summer and through the winter I pull a trailer. My boat is fairly heavy, with my boat, gear, and trailer hooked up I'm towing about 5k lbs.

10. Aug 31, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    MATOAKA

MATOAKA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Takomus
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    trd cold air intake, trd cat back exhaust, austin tube running board, truxedo tonneau cover, toyota xm radio, vip security system, weather tech floor mats, weather tech side window deflectors, e-z down tailgate strut, redline tuning hood strut, shortie antenna, billies 5100s, u-haul tow receiver, patial debadge, sockmonkey VA trd sport bed sticker,
    [​IMG]

I voted I do not, but like others have said nice to know I am capable when the time comes plus I like the looks of it from behind...makes it more like a truck.

I would have gotten it from Toyota but could not justify the price, so I went U-Haul for $294.00 installed and lifetime warranty.

11. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    I tow at least once a month, more in the winter hauling firewood, some in the spring fetching mulch. Occassionally when I am hauling tractor for service. Oh yea, and at least one annual kid move that involves some of the heaviest furniture known to man.

I have a light weight utility trailer that balances on the axle, so that I can cut firewood, load trailer in the woods, pull it out with my tractor (much shorter turn radius, better for winding between the trees), then on my driveway, I can switch trailer to the Tacoma for delivery. Mulch is opposite, run to local garden supply pick up a couple yards at bulk prices, drive home, switch loaded trailer to my JD x728 for delivery across the lawn to landscape and flower beds.

I know, not quite off-road adventure, but a weekly chore that is more fun with the Tacoma.

12. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    spenny

spenny Mmm... Beer

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Acc. Cab
    Stock
    The truck does OK for what it is, but I dont tow stuff all the time. If I did I'd buy something with a little more payload/power, but that's just me.

13. Aug 31, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    I made certain that it had a tow package, b/c I haul my motorcycle when I go on some camping/motorcycle trips. I also have plans to purchase a 7 x 14 toy hauler so, I know it will probably be about 15 times a years that i will tow 5K lbs

14. Aug 31, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    But with the factory towing package...

You also get the transmission and oil coolers...high output 130A alternator...and heavy duty battery...

in addition to the class 4 hitch receiver and 7 pin connector...that fits the bumper like a glove.

All for 650 dollars.

I think the oil and tranny coolers alone are worth the additional 350 bucks...even if you don't tow much.

Not so sure you got yourself such a great by.

15. Aug 31, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Or a ridgeline, Eh I can't believe I just typed that.... I feel so dirty now.:)

16. Aug 31, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Like Larry said you are missing the best parts of the TP (oil cooler/alt/bat./7 pin), plus w/o a 7 pin plug you can't install a brake controller w/o a big PIA, never tow a trailer with trailer brakes w/o a brake contoller bad things can happen.

17. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    4X42HEL

4X42HEL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD-OR 4x4
    I guess I never thought about the larger alternator, battery, oil and trans coolers. Those are great additions and [probably] make it worth the $690.

As far as the comment of why I would want to take it off? Well obviously now that I purchased the truck, I don't. I was just under the impression that the $690 was just for the physical hitch and wiring harness, which I wanted to pull off at the dealer and not pay for and not take...

As far as the comment of why I bought a truck if I never plan on towing... Well that is just an ignorant comment. Many uses beyong my imagination for a truck other than towing. I bought it for the bed [cargo] for the four doors, for the dependability, and mainly for four wheel off-roading. Oh, did I forget to mention, they look really sick :).

I had my Z-71 on 35's for 10 years and never once thought about towing a thing.

All that being said, if it was an option that I can "click" on like when I bought the scions, I definitly would NOT have clicked the tow option, but for all the transcooler and better electrical, in hindsight it is not a bad deal, just I still won't chose in the future, given the option.

18. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded
    As stated by others, the transmission and oil coolers, 7pin harness and high output alternator are worth the extra money and are items very dificult to install correctly.

The receiver, battery and a 4pin harness are cheap and easier to add to any truck.

19. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    FASTK

FASTK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    Columbus
    Vehicle:
    2010 4dr 4x4 long bed
    I don't tow but I use the hitch for my bicycle rack all the time, +3 times a week. The dogs go in the bed which has a cap on it.

20. Aug 31, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    MyYota05

MyYota05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Prerunner w/ TRD Offroad Pkg.
    3'' Lift Kit, Bed Rug Liner, Black Rims
    I tow something on a regular basis, especially during the summer I will haul my boat, Jet skis, and my 4 wheeler all year round. My Taco hauls great for what I use it for, and as someone mentioned though you dont hardly use it, at least it is there when you need it. :):):D:D

Products Discussed in

To Top