1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who Wants to Test a DECKED Storage System for Tacoma World?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TheDECKEDGuy, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:18 PM
    Mike44

Mike44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver TRD Sport DCLB
    Canopy, Lund side steps, 42" light bar behind the grill, Custom mud flaps, Hood and Window visors, Firestone airbag rear suspension, Undercoated, Husky X act fit floor mats front and back, Door sill protectors...... More to come.
    Well like most of us we camp, fish,hunt and just plain use our trucks. Why not throw in a Canadian fella to test one out. I have a young daughter of 4 months so the crap that goes in the back is endless and I also run our social media stuff for work so I'm always on my phone. Plus I'm a full time fishing guide so this thing sees everything from filthy rain gear and boots to tackle and fish slime

IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_9112.jpg
    IMG_2477.jpg

2. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:19 PM
    socalktk

socalktk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalvin
    San Gabriel Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD: OR
    Kings, Pelfreybilt skids, mobtown sliders, dakars, SCS
    Below is my "decked" system... plywood and a couple of rolling bins that fit under the plywood. I've been eyeing the decked system ever since I saw my buddy with a tundra have the set when we offroaded and camped for a week in Utah and Arizona. I would love to do the requirements you request of me!

My truck is full time offroad/overland build and my daily driver, so it see everything. Im in the wilderness atleast 2-3 times a month and would love to test it to store my camping gear, hiking gear, guns, food, etc.

IMG_9032.jpg
    IMG_3595.jpg

3. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:25 PM
    Oreo Cat

Oreo Cat Worst Member

Member:
    I will gladly test it and show it at truck meets if it's worth it's salt. I crawl, prerun, And everything in between. My bed is kind of a mess right now with a bunch of useless stuff rolling around and rattling -as you can see here..
    IMG_2702.jpg
    I'm currently trying to build up my truck for Africa in 4 years me and some friends want to go
    IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_2596.jpg
    It's not the coolest truck on the site.. yet
    If there's any rattles I'll sniff em out.. it's my specialty

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    TheDECKEDGuy[OP] and MotoEd like this.
  4. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:29 PM
    iBoosted

iBoosted It's go to be the king

Member:
    First Name:
    Niko
    Mesa, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    TRD PRO Front Grille Icons stage 3 lift Icons Billet Upper Control Arms Method Roost's Toyo Tires Caliraised Ditch Lights Caliraised Rear facing amber lights Caliraised Fog Lights Interior: Many Patches Greyman Tactical Rigid Insert Molle Panel
    Would love to test and see how it would help me out since I go offroading, dirtbiking/atving, as well as help with my business with the properties I own and have to take tools around with but sometimes sketched out cause I dont want to leave tools in the truck since I have no toneau cover.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  5. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:32 PM
    forrest1st

forrest1st Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    Flagstaff, AZ and Antarctica
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red DCLB TRD Off-Road
    On my way to full on mall crawler status. Pelfreybilt Aluminum front bumper with Smittybilt 8K synthetic, Rigid SAE Fog lights, and Baja Design 30" light bar C4 Fabrication Rock sliders SCS SR8 Wheels wrapped in 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs ATH Fabrication High clearance rear bumper with Baja Design Squadron rear work lights Leitner Designs aluminum bedrack with a Wilderness Hard shell RTT Morimoto XB Headlights 1794 edition style leather seats
    2017 TRD Offroad DCLB. I use my truck for work around the ranch including fence work, fixing equipment,and raising/treating goats. also love to do some camping and fishing out of my truck (when its not 100 degrees out) have always wanted a decked system but hasn't been available for a tacoma yet. it seems like a great way to secure my tools and equipment, and doubles as a nice sturdy sleeping platform for camping!

6. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:50 PM
    ETXTacoma

ETXTacoma Someone gave me a plasma cutter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Tyler, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Tacoma TRD OR
    Dynatrac ProRock 60 Rear Axle, that is important enough.
    Oras5.jpg
    1. Tell us how you use your truck and why you would be the perfect match for this project
    *cough* already asked Tami about this *cough* *cough* applied back in January *cough*
    Sorry, had something going on there....

Haiku?
    If I had a DECKED
    I would tell everyone about it
    May I please have one

I use my truck pretty much every day as a daily driver, seeing how well a DECKED system would work with a camper shell would be nice to know...
    Am going to have a newborn baby in January, so that would be a good test to see exactly how many diapers and wet wipes the drawers could hold...
    Will be going to the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree in May and then hopefully also going to Overland Expo West after that...
    I have a pretty sweet build thread, that will be getting sweeter with fancy new rear end in about 2 months....
    I have a beard and beards are sweet, I bet a bunch of guys at DECKED have beards....
    Got a friend that wants to do some sweet videos and pictures of the truck soon, on and off road, would be rad cool man to have a DECKED system to show off as well...

I, ETxTacoma, take thee, DECKED, to be my wedded drawer system, to have and to hold recovery gear from this day forward, for green trails for black trails, for 2Hi for 4Lo, in broken parts and in tip top shape, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to TacomaWorld's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my Tacoma.

7. Sep 20, 2017 at 11:21 PM
    xxmagpulxx

xxmagpulxx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road DCSB Blazing Blue
    My Taco is my daily driver and my expo vehicle. I don't have a topper as you can see so its going to get rained on, snowed on, left in the sun, used and abused. It will be tested by the elements of weather and my use. I am usually on here daily so I will be able to keep up a thread and answer questions daily about the system.

IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg

8. Sep 20, 2017 at 11:48 PM
    Rob Daman

Rob Daman The Taco Formerly Known as Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    17 OR 6MT
    a lot
    Great posts and pics guys!

About myself: Professionally I'm in the IT field who helps customers with their hardware and software issues. I answer questions all day long.

All other times I'm a husband, a father of 3, a car/truck guy, a DIY guy, a vlogger, a photographer and an all around jack of all trades but master of none.

I've had many cars over the years but the Tacoma is one of the vehicles that truly excites me. I got so into it when I purchased it this March that I started to post about what I did about my Taco and my mods I've done on it. Way more than any of my other cars. Not only I talk about my mods I review them. The goal of my product reviews are to provide honest feedback on the pros and cons. Was it easy to install? Did it fill my needs? Is it a worthwhile product?

I've been honored and humbled to get so much positive feedback here on TacomaWorld, YouTube and Instagram about my videos. It drives me to do more and more to help out others.

Since I'm a tech geek I'm literally on the internet all my waking hours so unless I'm in the middle of changing my baby girl's diapers I can usually respond quite promptly.

What I do with my truck:

• I am a mall crawler working on getting better with the off-road scene. My two sons love to out and go for those fun rides. I see DECKED as a great product for me to test when I'm on the concrete taking my family to the mall and further. Storage for extra outfits and supplies....yes I mean diapers.
    • Vlogging - I have what I call my Subscriber Showcase where I meet up with other truck / car enthusiasts to talk about their rides and why they bought it as well as what inspires them. With that I have my photography and video equipment including a drone that I would love to have accessibility and security. Right now I have to leave them in the cab as the bed doesn't have any compartmentalized secured storage.
    • Offroad adventures - I've started on my journey to getting off the concrete jungle and getting to places cars don't dare go. This is where I really see DECKED being the most useful to me. I can store my emergency equipment and have it accessible when I need be.

Thanks for everybody's time and good luck to all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    TheDECKEDGuy[OP] likes this.
  9. Sep 20, 2017 at 11:56 PM
    tamer

tamer hamerworx.com

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR AC, MGM, 4x4, 6spd MT
    Because I need secure storage I can throw my bike on top of!!

D10C472C-157B-4218-93D8-731272DC3F07.jpg
    CA402271-4743-4B8D-8694-62CE20214FBB.jpg
    08D65295-3426-48E8-9F60-26448219FB69.jpg

54576755-BDC7-4A26-9249-22FBCD1DD8C3.jpg
    DD37A724-CE0C-4CE4-B4AA-8C88BDF9A2F7.jpg

10. Sep 21, 2017 at 12:51 AM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

MTNHABITOVERLAND Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Camper Build Instagram: @mountainhabit
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    Thank you for this opportunity @TheDECKEDGuy

IMG_3660.PNG.jpg
    IMG_3671.PNG.jpg
    My 5,000+ Instagram followers and nearly 10,000 3rd gen Tacoma owners Facebook page members are chomping at the bit to get the mid-size DECKED system! The one theme in common: they want to see it in action IN a Tacoma, under circumstances they themselves would experience before they make the investment. This is where I fit perfectly!

IMG_3667.PNG.jpg
    Full-time Paramedic because I need to pay the bills! My adventure rig IS my daily driver...nearly 200 highway miles each week.

Full-time adventurer/explorer because it's who I am! Anywhere from 2 to 9-day treks are common for me including most recently the American Adventurist Mountain Rendezvous, Colorado backcountry expeditions where I traversed some of the most technical and dangerous trails in the state, and Utah/Arizona/California overlanding.

IMG_3661.PNG.jpg
    Necessities:
    Disaster response-ready 24/7 for call-ins = GEAR!

Backpacking, hiking, mountain biking, shooting = GEAR!

Trailing, wheeling, camping, overlanding = GEAR!

Roadside/trailside repairs and recovery = GEAR!
    IMG_3677.PNG.jpg

Many of these gear items can crossover efficiently and be used for multiple purposes. Like many though, I need an exceptional organizer for them in order to insure response-readiness when the people of my county have a need, for the gear to be secured within the system, and to have the ability to seamlessly integrate the storage capabilities of such gear for each separate task.

IMG_3657.PNG.jpg
    My commitment: To provide un-biased, honest, field-tested review (and responses via thread, etc.) of the DECKED system for Tacoma in varying conditions and terrain. This would include commuting, light trailing and rough, true off-roading with jarring and torsional pressure conditions.

****Rest assured, I'll put the system through the paces!! Not like "The Flying Tacoma" paces, but it will be comprehensively tested!
    IMG_3676.PNG.jpg

What I'd be looking for/review (among other things):
    • Ease of installation/specific measurements
    • Security of the framework
    • Stability of the system as a whole especially while in off-road/extreme conditions
    • Capabilities of integration through multiple platforms to include bed bars and bed stiffener applications among many other things
    • Ability to modify the DECKED system to store propane tanks, camp stoves, storage bins, dual battery, sleep platform, spare tire mounting, tool storage, solar panel hook ups, recovery tools, etc.
    • Weight effects on performance of the truck pre/post-installation.
    • Decked-specific focused review
    IMG_3669.PNG.jpg
    I have gone through 3 different fabricated drawer setups over a 2-year period...NONE has stood up the the use I put it through. ALL have failed miserably and broken apart! @TheDECKEDGuy, please tell me the DECKED system is a step above?!! Give me a chance to experience it for myself and in turn, for the benefit of others!

IMG_3658.PNG.jpg

IMG_3674.PNG.jpg
    Please see my Instagram page for more of my latest adventure photos and mods!

Sincerely,
    Nicole

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
  11. Sep 21, 2017 at 4:11 AM
    dan0mite

dan0mite #NOTNORM

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    d00kie
    Check The Build Thread
    I did a full unsolicited review of the Ozark Trail coolers when they first hit the market. The thread actually gained the attention of the design company for those coolers then ultimately led to an Advisory Committee to assist the design company in gaining real world user feedback and testing.

My review thread:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...e-roto-molded-coolers-real-world-test.433570/

Quotes pulled from the thread:
    In addition, I'd be able to give an honest real world "apples to oranges" side by side comparison and review between DECKED and BedSlide.

IMG_5688.jpg
    IMG_6190.jpg
    IMG_6191.jpg
    IMG_6193.jpg

12. Sep 21, 2017 at 4:55 AM
    sdsurfer

sdsurfer @ODNAREM life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD 4X4
    5100s/OME 888s. Dakar leaf pack. Total Chaos UCAs. DeMello Sliders. BAMF Recessed Grille. Prinsu Cabrack and Toprack.
    36E16905-81E5-49F6-96E2-2AE8956CDECC.jpg
    Summer 2017 (Utah)
    79870BC0-B582-4F91-ABFD-88AC3850D572.jpg
    Outside of our Cabin in UT
    8BE4532B-EECA-4BDD-84FD-838153EF32FC.jpg
    At the Dog Park

I would be a perfect candidate for testing your Decked system for the Tacoma because I would put the system through it’s paces on a daily basis.

I use my truck daily to take my two pups to the dog park (Rottweiler mix and Maltese).

I’m an active Tacoma World member and participate frequently in group camping/off road trips with fellow TW members.

I have a family cabin in Northern Utah, where we go fishing, shooting, and off roading in the Tacoma every summer.

During the winter, I make trips to ski at Mammoth, Big Bear, or somewhere in UT.

I would take lots of pictures of your incredible Decked system and share how it improves my Tacoma experience as well as answer any questions asked of me by potential buyers.

13. Sep 21, 2017 at 5:06 AM
    spread5150

spread5150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner w a few extras
    Just unboxed it. Much to come.
    Let's go. Send it down to Texas. Daily police Work and plenty of Texas hunting. Bow season. Rifle season. 4 wheeler. Corn bags and camping.

IMG_3687.jpg

14. Sep 21, 2017 at 5:18 AM
    TacoMafia

TacoMafia 2017 Cement Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Chucky
    New Mexico, USA
    Vehicle:
    Cement Pro
    Gonna give this a shot never really been lucky with this kinda stuff so here we go.

1. I finally have the truck I have always wanted and I’m always looking for better ways of making it more useful and practical since it is my daily driver and I am always tinkering around with something and always have tools in the back of my truck hence the topper.

2. Also purchased this truck to take my granddaughter out on camping trips and adventures.

3. And finally I’m a really nice guy!! (I bake great cookies and have a fridge full of your favorite beer… not a bribe):thumbsup:

20170722_203219-1.jpg IMG_5743-1.jpg

15. Sep 21, 2017 at 6:25 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Is this for 3rd gen only? I would love to be a tester of your product. I have a 2009 2nd gen Tacoma and it's my daily driver, tow rig, wheeling rig, basically it's my everything rig and do lots of wheeling and camping with my family. Ever since I have gotten my Softopper I have noticed the need to get a decked system to keep my recovery gear in. I think this would be a great addition to my truck as it would allow me to get to my stuff without having to climb in the bed of my truck every time I need something out of the box that I have now. Hope you can consider me. Thank You.

Older picture.

Some more recent one's.

PS; I have cookies and beer!

16. Sep 21, 2017 at 7:55 AM
    pltommyo

pltommyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Gray Tacoma TRD Offroad
    SSO hybrid bumper, Warn winch, RCI skid trilogy, RRW sliders, everything in the cheap/free mods thread, and of course the frame recall work.
    Here's my humble little Tacoma. I use it for Boy Scouts, daily driving to work (office - IT software development team lead; QA testing and communication are in my blood), trail rides with my club, and bringing my toys to the gun range for play and for classes.

IMG_20170903_094156_063.jpg

TheDECKEDGuy[OP] and SC2SC like this.
  17. Sep 21, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

MTNHABITOVERLAND Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Camper Build Instagram: @mountainhabit
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    Thanks man!

18. Sep 21, 2017 at 8:25 AM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    I’ve over the last 2 years I’ve spent more time in my truck than at home (20k+ miles since end of April). I travel extensively throughout the US for work and it’s not unusual to be gone for a couple weeks or couple months at a time. As a result, I rely on my Tacoma and all the accessories I’ve added. They all serve a purpose and I’m always looking for way to make life easier and more efficient when I’m constantly packing and unpacking my truck.

I’m a no bs guy and will tell it how it is. I’m frequently fielding questions from people about my truck while I’m on the road at gas stations or rest stops or wherever else. I also spend a lot of time on Tacomaworld looking for things to improve my truck and it’s capabilites.

Here’s a couple of my most recent pix

Around El Paso
    EC964D7A-9B07-440E-BF4A-C216F670BF7A.jpg

Near Laramie
    2535006A-F603-466F-9A5E-24589B5B0377.jpg

Cleaned up
    42AA5512-D96E-49AC-8F87-E483DBEA3D22.jpg

19. Sep 21, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    15rlghc

15rlghc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Tacoma Offroad, White, 4 Door Long Bed
    TRD Pro front grill
    I just picked up a '17 Tacoma Offroad Tacoma 4 Door Long Bed. So far I love the truck (would love it even more with 1 of these decked systems)! I have been eyeballing the decked system for a while now & I think that it would be perfect for what I am planning on my Overlander Tacoma build. Ideally I am planning to convert this truck into a overlander bike trip machine. This would be a truck that would be ready and willing to hit the road/trails whenever for a fun weekend mountain bike trip (topper, bike rack system, roof rack setup, & most importantly a decked system :) ). The decked system would serve as storage as well as a sleeping surface inside the topper. I've done quite a bit of daydreaming on this build.

I was recently up in Stanley Idaho a couple of weeks ago & saw that you guys were cruising around. Unfortunately I didn't see you at the truck or I would have touched bases with you guys...

Anywho I would appreciate it if you would consider me to test the system, if anything I hope you enjoy the pic! At this point I only have a TRD pro grill installed on the truck, but I am currently working through a build sheet for the truck.

Thanks

Tacoma pic.jpg

20. Sep 21, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    inesshell

inesshell blah blah blah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All stock Superwhite 10' AC
    i dont use my truck for work but its my dd and weekend warrior. Camping, wheeling, skiing, hauling is generally what it is for. Your system would provide me with much more organized storage when i go on trips and prevent items from being tossed around and damaged. My tool boxes have dents, water jugs hack cracks, and roto coolers somehow end up on the opposite ends of my bed. I use my truck to its abilities. I dont baby it like most but treat it with respect as with any tool trying to get me to destinations i seek to experience and photograph.

Any consideration is appreciated, thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top