1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who watches TV over the airwaves; no cable, no satellite?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by genxer36, Dec 31, 2008.

?

How do you watch TV

1. Cable

54.9%
  2. Satellite

36.3%
  3. Over the air - Antenna

6.6%
  4. TV what's that, I don't watch tv

4.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Sure. We can call it that. :laugh:

2. Jan 8, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've had Direct TV now for several years. They call me "A Loyal Customer". I bought a Sharp 52" 120Hz LCD for the Family Room and a Sharp 32" 60Hz for my bedroom on Dec 20th. I called Direct TV the next day and asked for HD service and local channels (my local channels were from ComCast) I was told to go to Best Buy and get two HD Recievers. I did and called back to get it turned on. I was told my old dish had to go. So I set up an appointment for Dec. 30th. I took the day off and waited until 12:30 PM and gave them a call to see where the technician was. Well, they couldn't find my order. It was never inputed into the computer. I was starting to get mad.:mad: Well, they never really apoligized but did schedule me for Jan 7th between 12 and 4. I asked the Customer Service Rep nine times to make sure I was getting an HD dish and local channels. They assured me it was all set up. I took off from work at the start of lunch to meet the technician. At 4:30 PM I called Direct TV and asked where the technician was. They said he was on his way. I then proceeded to tell the guy that this is a bunch of bull. I took two days off when I didn't have to. He connected me with a supervisor and he said he would make it right and gave me a hundred dollar credit. At about 5:30 the tech called and asked for directions. He was about 10 minutes from my house. At 6:30 the Installation telephone girl called to confirm my appointment for 12 -4!!!! I was shocked and started to not be nice anymore.:eek:
    She said the tech would be there in fifteen minutes and then she told me that the dish would be $99. I was in total shock. I hung up and called direct TV right back and asked th CSR about the cost of the dish. She told me that there is no charge for the dish. The tech finally showed up about 6:45 PM and he started telling me that he has one more stop to do before he can go home and that it is a five room install. I felt bad for the guy. He never explained why he was late or why I never got a phone call but did tell me about the $99 charge for the dish. I told him that I wasn't going to pay him for the dish but he can put it on the bill for me to fight later. He started grumbling something and started to put my new dish up. When he was working, he kept asking me if I wanted to fight about the bill. I couldn't believe this guy. We went inside to see if everything was working. There wasn't any local channels. He said I didn't order that service.............
    I finally called and got that straight. But I wasn't getting any HD stations. He said that it is probably in the cables that are running in my attic. He said I could call Direct TV and they could schedule somebody to come out or he could do it under the table for about 60 dollars. I told him I'd get back with him on that! He asked about the 99 dollars again. I was handing him a twenty dollar tip (because I felt bad for him) (but damn I shoudn't have) and he said to not worry about the 99 dollars, he would take care of it. I went through all this bullshit and still don't have HD service. I called today and explained the whole story and assured me that they can walk me through a set up and if that didn't work they would schedule another tech to come out. What the hell did I do to deserve this kind of crap? I'm always nice to people on the phone. My brother is an ass but he gets what he asks. If it doesn't get fixed soon I will tell Direct TV to shove their dish so far up there ass. I guess I'll eat the cost of the recievers but oh well.

3. Jan 8, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Whenever I watch Local channels, its over the air. the pic is uncompressed and the video is better. The colors are sharper and the black levels are also noticeably better on my cheap 42" LCD hi-def. Will be watching the game tonight OTA, as Fox's 720p signal is superior to CBS and NBC's 1080i IMO.

Missleman, as a 12 year loyal DirecTV subscriber I had my share of teething problems with their HD service(or non=service at times). Eventually they will get it straightened out. I have gotten so many freebies that it has become a bargain service.

4. Jan 10, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 [OP] Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

Sorry to hear your misfortunes.
    My Brother went through the same Bullshit. He had been a customer since they began. That is one of the reasons I went with Dish. I didn't have any problems with them. Customer service was great when my DVR crapped out. Also Dish was cheaper.

5. Jan 10, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the Sun (Hot Sun)
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    I work for EchoStar, we were the parent company of DishNetwork prior to our company split... I still get my Dish service for free though. Speaking of Dish.. they are releasing the 922 DVR next month. Terrabite hrd drive and Sling box built in... It will be the mother of all DVR's. I will have on in two weeks

6. Jan 13, 2009 at 1:16 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    I dont watch TV.

7. Jan 13, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    jrw1965

jrw1965 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Southern Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '08 dbl cab long bed 4 x 4
    Front tint, Stainless steel nerf bars, Leer tonneau, Rear spring TSB, Michelin LTX A/T2 265 70 16, Pioneer AVIC X910 so far
    Had cable forever, I mite switch to verizon fios when my contract is up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top