1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

who wouldn't want to go do this!?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dmkh60, May 25, 2016.

1. May 25, 2016 at 1:05 PM
    dmkh60

dmkh60 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD - Sport
  2. May 25, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    Ras61

Ras61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arlington VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 4wd TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    Icons front, Bilstiens 5125 rear, 35/12.5/17 MT/Rs and some trimming
    I wouldn't want to...

Jokes aside, a long trip would be fun for a while, but riding around in that truck would get uncomfortable. My father in law has a similar year Toyota truck and it is very small and loud inside. Not to mention, I don't think giving up on your career early in life to aimlessly travel around in a beat up old truck is aspiring to very much.

Don't get me wrong, I love exploring old fire roads, fishing, camping and being outdoors. It's just that I also enjoy doing other stuff.

robssol and Jimbotron like this.
  3. May 25, 2016 at 1:24 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    No. I need dinero and a yob.

Jimbotron likes this.
  4. May 25, 2016 at 3:06 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Maybe if I was alone and a Lot younger.

5. May 25, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 base ac 2.7 5-speed 4x4
    It would be hard do that without being wealthy in my opinion. That is if you wanted to be at least somewhat comfortable on the trip and not live like a transient.

I gotta admit though it sounds appealing to wake up the morning and not have worry about getting to work on time. Kinda like those folks who live off the grid in the Yukon or up in Alaska. It's not an easy life, but offers supreme freedom.

6. May 25, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    Jimbotron

Jimbotron They're comin' right for us!

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    CA Central Coast
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4 Extended Cab Tacoma
    That video made me realize I have cup holders. So thats pretty sweet

dmkh60[OP] and ChadsPride like this.
  7. May 25, 2016 at 5:03 PM
    FredSanford

FredSanford Fish Eyed Heathen

Member:
    Close to Indy
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 Taco
    Let me give ya'll something to think about, not just you Ras61

1st having a "career" is not for everyone, not everybody needs to advance on Maslows hierarchy of needs and be self actualized. I hate work but I love my job and it's because I shitcanned big aspirations several years ago and do the thing I like, not what others think I should aspire to.

2nd you need to live now. My mom checked out at 48. I've tried to live as free as I can and still keep food on the table and a roof over my head, but very less free than what I wanted. Mostly because I have an awesome wife that wanted to plan for retirement. I'm 56 so I'm 8 years in the black on the life ledger as far as I'm concerned and was thinking "6 more years of work and I can quit working 60 hours a week". Fast forward to two months ago, yeah I got diagnosed with prostate cancer. Seems like all of a sudden I'm gonna be lucky to make 65.

I won't rail/rant on anyone and say your wrong, just think about the fact that tomorrow isn't promised to you.

8. May 25, 2016 at 5:11 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    I did something like that in 1972, bought a Ford F-250, put a shell camper on it and turned it into my home for 3 months. Left south Florida and headed out west. Camped in Rocky Mtn natl park in co. for 3 weeks. Headed north too Wy. And Montana for another 7 wks. Ended back in Co. where I got a job stayed for the next 35 yrs. Didn't know anybody where I was going, but loved the adventure. You can do that when your in your 20's but as you get older the system and being responsible takes over.

9. May 25, 2016 at 5:21 PM
    BrokenMech

BrokenMech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Pro
    Sorry to hear about your diagnoses. Your comment is spot on though.

10. May 25, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    crabslayer

crabslayer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Bend, Or
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tacoma SR5 DCLB
    I would love to. My gf and i just did a 10 day trip and DID NOT want to come home. We are trying to make a trip to baja happen hopefully this winter.

11. May 25, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    They post on expo including photos of their trips. And yeah, I'd love to live that sort of life.

FredSanford is spot on, we all take different paths in life. With the exception of those paths that hurt others, i.e. criminals, or being dependent on others i.e. welfare leeches, I wouldn't say any are really right or wrong, just different. We're also not guaranteed any sort of time frame in this life. In over twenty years in EMS if there's anything I've learned it's that, while we all plan to live a long life and retire, things don't always work out that way. I have never been to an accident scene- road, industrial, or otherwise- where the person said they knew they were going to get hurt that day. Very few people with serious diseases or some sort of disability ever thought it would happen to them either. Also, when you spend some time talking to old people their most common topics of conversation, besides their family, are the things they accomplished and the things they wished they'd done.

Be responsible for yourself and your family, but also try to enjoy yourself along the way.

Good luck with the treatment FS- survival rates for prostate cancer are improving and it can be beat, even without surgery (which can have a ton of complications). Do your research and get second opinions before deciding on a treatment plan. I'm in my 40s and my PSA levels have been climbing for the last two years so I can sympathize. So far no signs of cancer but I've already started doing my research.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    FredSanford likes this.
  12. May 25, 2016 at 8:50 PM
    potstech

potstech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Was diagnosed with prostate cancer in late 2014. Surgery and radiation and I am cancer free right now. Treatment caused other problems BUT life goes on. Hoping for same diagnoses of results for the rest of my life.

If I hadn't changed health care non providers I would be in deep trouble right now. Men get PSA test once a year. If you Dr will not do one FIRE THEM. It is your life not theirs. Found out afte diagnoses that it runs in my family on both sides. Get tested.

FredSanford and ChadsPride like this.
  13. May 25, 2016 at 9:05 PM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    That pickup is fuckin cool. I wish I could do something like this.

14. May 26, 2016 at 6:19 AM
    Ras61

Ras61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arlington VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 4wd TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    Icons front, Bilstiens 5125 rear, 35/12.5/17 MT/Rs and some trimming
    Thanks, for sharing this despite it being personal. You make a good point. I'm very career oriented but regularly need to check my priorities. There is a lot more to life than your career, and after a long while your career ends, but life continues. My dad passed unexpectedly at 56. Life is transient. I'm truly sorry to hear about your diagnoses. Cancer fucking sucks. Fight it hard. Wishing you only the best.

Thanks for this as well. I suppose I don't want to travel around in an old Toyota truck all day, but I also shouldn't belittle others that do. As long as your care for yourself and loved ones!

FredSanford[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 26, 2016 at 8:24 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Yeah, pretty hard to afford a snowmobile and a boat and a motorcycle and all my trailers and fishing gear and everything without a job.

16. May 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    Reminds me of my '92 Toyota except beefier. I kind of enjoy the routine of work but I would definitely do a month long road trip if the opportunity came up.

Products Discussed in

To Top