1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who's fault....UPS/Shipper?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4x4Noob, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sep 23, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    Both,

The shipper did a bad job of packaging.
    UPS should have rejected the package and told the shipper
    to do a better job of packaging before accepting the package.

but in defense of UPS, the drivers are slammed most times
    and just really don't have time to look at every package...
    especially on heavy truck days....if the shipper used a driver pick up that is...?

if they used a UPS store, then see above.

2. Sep 23, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    was it insured? if not the max you or the shipper can get back is $100. Since it was sent on the shippers account they are responsible for it. Ups requires a min 2" of space between the material being shipped and the carton it is in. Since the shipper failed to adequately package it UPS will probably deny a claim on insufficient packaging.

Also re-reading your OP, you are assuming there is damage? You have to open it and inspect it.

3. Sep 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    Flyfisher22

Flyfisher22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Indian Trail, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Off Road Package DC
    None
    This is what I read. Not saying someone did not F something up, but if you don't open it how do you know it is broken..............

Cam

4. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    not saying its true but i think fedex might have better working conditions for loading and unloading i can't be fore sure cuz thats not what i do but thats what i have heard.

i know that ups loaders and unloaders make a little more that minimum wage and work long days here where i live and i know for a fat that the fedex guys that do the same thing only work 5 maybe 6 hour shifts in the morning and get paid well about 13 and hour here in my area.

i think that might have something to do with taking better care of the packaging.

but thats for fedex express i have no idea about fedex ground (they are totally different not just the ground and express part haha)

anyway i hop you get everything resolved!!

5. Sep 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    I think the person packing it could of done a WAY better job, you already know that UPS will treat your package like any other package regardless if it says fragile or glass, believe me! so in turn it is really up to the shipper to pack accordingly to keep their product in the best shape for the buyer. and by the looks of that box it looks to me that it was just thrown in their and a few pieces of tape to hold it together. I would complain to the sender, just my 2 cents

6. Sep 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    the company i work for just switched to fedex because we have had so many issue with ups

I used to work for philips medical systems too and they only used fedex too. when boxes with $150k+ of medical equipment in military spec cases wind up destroyed (pelican cases with broken wheels or cracked sides) with ups it was time to switch...

7. Sep 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    File a claim-If its packaged well. We have many DAMAGED items from UPS.
    There is no reason that it should be BULLIT PROOF.
    THROWN around--is that reasonable-I think NOT.

8. Sep 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Its not reasonable but its reality, and that will never change sorry to say:(

9. Sep 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

:laughing:

10. Sep 24, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    4x4Noob

4x4Noob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not at all, I am simply not accepting the package as is. I am not willing to take the risk of opening the box only to be out money on my end because of poor packaging.

So i'll simply return the item and get my money back.

11. Sep 24, 2011 at 1:12 AM
    lmcc007

lmcc007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Northern CA.
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 PreRunner Doublecab Longbed
    Tube steps & tonneau cover.
    Generally FedEx is more gentle with packages than UPS is. This has a lot to due with the amount of volume that UPS has on a daily basis. UPS trucks are generally full when they're delivering and picking up packages. From the pictures that you posted it appears that the shipper did NOT include enough packing material in the box. If they had then the box would not have been crushed and your part would not have been damaged. UPS is a bit more careful with their Air packages, but those packages are handled by fewer people than Ground packages are. The bottom line is if you're going to ship something valuable with any carrier you need to pack it as if it will be walked/jumped on because often times it is.

12. Sep 24, 2011 at 1:16 AM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    not sure how your going to return the package because your going to have to repack it, if you came to me and asked to send that package id would no accept it. i would either offer to repack it for you or tell you to provide your own packing. bur either way good luck with that you decide to do

13. Sep 24, 2011 at 1:52 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    You have a camera and took pictures of how it arrived. Next step switch camera to video mode and open box to find out if you even have a problem. If there is a problem contact shipper and see what he/she/they are willing to do about it. It might be replaced or you could be offered a discount. I believe both UPS and shipper are at fault.

14. Sep 24, 2011 at 4:04 AM
    1bad10tacoma

1bad10tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    I drive for UPS and there is no way that they will pay the claim on that. We get boxes like that on our truck and we have to deliver it. Shippers fault, shitty packaging job IMO.You should open it you dont know if its even damaged. Good luck.

15. Sep 24, 2011 at 4:06 AM
    SB11Tacoma

SB11Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    New York
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4 with JBL
    Lund Nerf Bars Tonnopro Tri Fold
    Just open the package and check out your item.No reason to worry until you know for sure there is a problem.

16. Sep 24, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Murman

Murman Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner SR5 Access Cab 4cyl auto
    Undercover hard tonneau WeatherTech Floor Liners
    Another UPS driver here, and the package was not packed correctly. Someone here suggested that it had been "thrown around"? UPS does not carry each package by hand from where it's unloaded from the truck that picked it up to the trailer where it is transported to it's destination town. It is also not unloaded and carried by hand to the delivery truck. UPS uses conveyor belts, slides, and chutes to move hundreds of thousands of packages each day through it's hubs and destination centers. Other packages come in contact with these boxes and if there is empty space inside of the box, it's gonna get crushed eventually. Someone else suggested that the driver shouldn't have picked the package up to begin with. Well, I don't know about the rest of the UPS drivers, but I don't have x-ray vision.:D I have no idea what is inside of the boxes I pick up or how they are packed. All I see, is a brown corrugated box with a label on it. Another tried to say that UPS will pay the claim regardless. Not so, the damaged packages are picked back up and brought back to the center where they are inspected. A large number of claims are rejected because of insufficient packaging.
    That being said, I'm sorry for the shape of your package. As a driver, I am embarrassed to leave something looking like that at your door. However, we process and deliver a :censored:-load more packages than FedEx and damages are bound to occur frequently. That's why $100 of insurance is built into the basic shipping fees.

17. Sep 24, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    ^I agree.

My second job is in a packing office for a fairly large company. We send out a 300-500 packages a day, and I would never send something out that was packed that way.

18. Sep 24, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Well i used to work with the UPS,FEDEX, USPS and the Galita guys down at Honolulu international airport when i worked for a local airlines and i witnessed a lot of throwing going around, yeah they use belts and chutes but how does it get on a belt? it gets picked up by a human OR thrown from a can to the belt, likewise when it gets loaded into the can, HUMANS have to load a can and have to fit as much as they can STUFF in them(and not all cans are square most are round on the corners), and depending on how lazy or how much of a ass is doing it, it will be thrown far or stuffed and smashed in the process. Their are very good workers and their are just lazy mothertruckers and unfortunately you will ALWAYS have these working together. Thats just the shitty truth about it and it will ALWAYS BE THIS WAY, i worked at the airport for 5 years and it was like that before igot there and still like that today

19. Sep 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    1bad10tacoma

1bad10tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    WELL SAID ^

20. Sep 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    That's for damn sure, whether the claim of 'insufficient packaging' is true or not. I know from where I used to work sending out packages. No matter how carefully we packed them some got damaged, and many claims were rejected for that reason. UPS sucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top