1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who's trading in their Tacoma for a new Colorado?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by batacoma, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Dec 18, 2022 at 5:09 AM
    batacoma

batacoma [OP] Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    How about trading their Bronco or Maybe their Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator or previous generation Colorado for the new one?

Anyone looking at just getting a new Colorado or Canyon to go with their Tacoma?

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/2023-chevrolet-colorado-build-price-configurator-official/

The new ZR2 looks impressive, I can't say I don't like the looks on the new Colorado, the dash doesn't look the best IMO those large round vents look out of place, but not horrendous. The numbers for the HO engine sound impressive for the midsize segment.

I'd have to say the new GMs are class leaders in the midsize space right now. Once GM builds them. Toyota and Ford have their work cut out for them.

I can't see Nissan doing much more with the new Frontier, maybe a turbo4 down the road. When the power of the pen forces, them into forced induction.

I recall some previous gen ZR2s showing up with bent frames, and unexpected airbag deployments.

The top tier Colorado ZR2 does get pricey, and so will the 4th gen TRD Pro. With Chevy you can always pay the cost to be the boss, and go with the Colorado TrailBoss for less cash than the ZR2.

Who's getting a new GM midsize?

2. Dec 18, 2022 at 5:50 AM
    Cpl. Punishment

Cpl. Punishment Brand Used Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra SR5
    My cousin had a previous gen Duramax Colorado as his work truck a few years back. He liked it at first, especially the fuel economy, but he dumped it after having transmission problems.

3. Dec 18, 2022 at 6:07 AM
    Soonr1

Soonr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Army Green TRD Off Road
    I wouldn’t but that’s a good looking truck. The frontier has a modest front end and the Colorado follows that. It looks tough. I’m just not a GM fan and had some bad experiences with them.

ABA180 and batacoma[OP] like this.
  4. Dec 18, 2022 at 6:26 AM
    Egbeem

Egbeem Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock TRD Sport
    The Malibu and Equinox my wife had guaranteed I’ll never make the mistake of buying another GM vehicle.

5. Dec 18, 2022 at 6:45 AM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    430ft lbs of torque would be a welcome addition to my Tacoma. Highway drives in the wind suck! I may look into a zr2 but keep the Tacoma as well

hr206 and batacoma[OP] like this.
  6. Dec 18, 2022 at 9:09 AM
    Mad German

Mad German Well-Known Member

Member:
    What year truck was that?

batacoma[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 18, 2022 at 9:36 AM
    Cpl. Punishment

Cpl. Punishment Brand Used Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra SR5
    Must have been 2019-ish. Not sure exactly.

batacoma[OP] likes this.
  8. Dec 19, 2022 at 8:41 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    Lack of extended cab long bed config (i.e. can't comfortably sleep in the bed on wheeling trips) means it's completely excluded from my consideration. Same with the Gladiator.

batacoma[OP] likes this.
  9. Dec 19, 2022 at 9:04 AM
    essjay

essjay Part-Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5 (V6/AC/4WD)
    My GF had a 2020 (2019?) diesel Colorado before she traded it in for a Tesla. Compared to my 2nd gen Tacoma...

Pros:
    Interior is way nicer. (As to be expected for something newer by a decade.)
    Smooth, quiet ride.
    The steps on the bumper are a nice touch. Anybody short would like it.
    The bed had slots for jerry cans, complete with tie down points for them.
    Better MPG and acceleration.

Cons:
    The 4WD dial is terribly located. I never managed to do it, but she accidentally knocked it from 2WD to 4WD more than a couple times with her knee. Luckily, the first setting seemed to be some variety of AWD, rather than full-time 4WD.
    The headache rack is stupid, and made putting tying stuff down in the bed or even accessing stuff in the front end of the bed a big pain in the ass.
    Diesel Exhaust Fluid. The truck had to be taken to the dealer multiple times because of system errors related to this shit. Basically gave you a "you have X number of miles to fix this code until you get put into limp mode" error.

batacoma[OP] likes this.
  10. Dec 19, 2022 at 12:15 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Not me. I've had the 15 for 7 years/150,000 miles and haven't seen a single warning light of any kind ever. No limp mode, no transmission slips, no recalls, no campaigns, zip zilch nada..

I can virtually guarantee you won't get that on a Chevy or dodge

11. Dec 19, 2022 at 6:04 PM
    TruckGuy63

TruckGuy63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gilbert
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barcelona Red Dbl Cab TRD Offroad
    GM would have to pay me to own there products . I’ve been burnt several times with them and will never own one of there products . When I am in the market for a new vehicle they are not even on my list to look at . My opinion is that they are a terrible company and will never ever get a penny from me .

ABA180, mrkabc, batacoma[OP] and 2 others like this.
  12. Dec 19, 2022 at 6:21 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    Until I'm given a million dollars or my next three houses are paid off, I'm not trading in for another truck for a while.

13. Dec 20, 2022 at 6:03 PM
    Hogleg918

Hogleg918 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2022 OR MT Lunar Rock
    The Canyon would be my choice with the factory 2” lift and standard HO motor. Only problem is their pricing is terrible ($8,500 more than my TRD OR Premium), the 8 speed had shuddering issues that no one knows if it will be fixed with the new 8 speed. Finally, whose brilliant idea was it to get rid of the headlight switch completely?

batacoma[OP] likes this.
  14. Dec 21, 2022 at 4:27 AM
    TruckGuy63

Member:
    First Name:
    Gilbert
    New York
    Vehicle:
    I rest my case
    GM = Junk
    Lol

batacoma[OP] and ToyoTaco25 like this.
  15. Dec 22, 2022 at 4:48 AM
    AJH387

AJH387 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR DCLB
    I'm not in the market for a truck at all, but we just bought a new Trailblazer for the wife. So while doing that, I was looking at info on the new Colorado. I do like how they look. Also, it's cool the do the Trailboss package at a much lower price than ZR2. I would consider one if I were buying a new truck, but it would be hard to not just get another Toyota that I trust. But I guess I have to see the next-gen Tacoma to really compare with the new Colorado.

batacoma[OP] likes this.
  16. Dec 22, 2022 at 5:27 AM
    TruckGuy63

Member:
    First Name:
    Gilbert
    New York
    Vehicle:
    GM ‘s Claim to fame is they look good. Again for me no bueno . I’ve been burnt by them too many times. They are ok if you lease. This way you give them back before out of pocket issues . Our fleet at work has them and they are a nightmare. We also have two Tundras with over 200 k miles that have been problem free. I had a company Nissan Frontier that was also great . But you know what they say opinions are like assholes everyone has got one . Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Hogleg918 and batacoma[OP] like this.
  17. Dec 22, 2022 at 2:00 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I vaguely recall reading something that said the lower priced Colorado/Canyon only have a single speed transfer case.

batacoma[OP] likes this.
  18. Dec 22, 2022 at 2:11 PM
    Canadian Caber

Canadian Caber R.I.P Layne Staley 67-2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    B.C. Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4 Super White
    Not interested in anything from the Big 3. If we won the lotto we would buy another Tacoma. We would then have his and hers as my wife loves this truck so much It cuts into my driving time with it. Then if we still were rich with loto $ we would buy our kids Tacos or 4R's when they were a little older and experienced enough to drive a new truck or SUV.

batacoma[OP] and Cpl. Punishment like this.
  19. Dec 22, 2022 at 2:58 PM
    hr206

hr206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSB TRD OR, '98 regular cab 4x4
    Completely jealous of 420lb-ft of torque and more modern interior with what looks like better materials. My first car was a Chevy from the 80's. It was a complete turd and I haven't bought an american car since - likely to stay that way. I'm sad that it's not even on Toyota's radar to come close to matching the power output.

batacoma[OP] likes this.
  20. Dec 22, 2022 at 3:34 PM
    jneutron

jneutron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORDCSB Cemint RIP-15 DCSB TRD MGM
    GM spent decades perfecting bureaucracy and poor quality and they are attempting to fix it but it will take decades to fix the poor quality and the bureaucracy remains. Bob Lutz (he was an exec there) in some of his books explains how the organization made blind, unconnected decisions.
    I had a 1967 Impala, indestructible. That is when the party ended. A friend of of mine was permanently injured in a Citation (X body GM) due to a known brake flaw and severe rush to market and cutting corners. Poor decisions, poor design, poor management, misleading test cars, etc. etc. This continued, Pontiac Fiero, Cadillac Cimmaron, and on. At once time it was said the what was good for GM was good for the country....not after 1970.
    I once had a lapse of judgement and purchased a Dodge Dakota pick up V8 manual. Within 70K, front suspension total shot, power steering shot, AC broke $15 part that required the entire dash to be removed from the truck, transmission leaked at 10K and all rotors warped in 5K. Got rid of the POS.
    Never again purchased a vehicle from the American big 3. Cannot risk purchasing a subpar product. Most likely never will either. For some reason they cannot understand nor produce quality.

Products Discussed in

To Top