1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why a Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Motorshooter, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:39 AM
    Motorshooter

Motorshooter [OP] Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab, short bed, 4X4 SR5, Towing pkg. Inferno Orange -What a great color!
    Weather Tech stone guards, Undercover SE bed cover, fresh coat of wax. I really miss my Indigo Ink Pearl 07' DC -RIP-she saved my life. Thank you blue beast!
    When I was looking for a new truck in 07, I wanted an American truck. I searched long and hard for five months before I made my decision. I went to the dealerships, I looked on line, I talked to owners, and I viewed consumer reports. I would even talk to people driving American pickups while I was filling up at the gas station to obtain real world views on their truck.

Being a Chevy man I first looked at the midsized Chevy’s and GMC’s truck. In the Colorado, the biggest motor was a 5 cylinder that only pulled down 15 MPG. A Great looking truck, right size, but bad on the MPG, plus owners were reporting a whole host of motor and transmission problems. I wanted something dependable for myself. I was also not willing to spend extra money getting a truck outfitted the way I needed, the dealerships I visited all had over loaded trucks with more bells and whistles then I wanted. They were not willing to order me one and if they did, the waiting list according to them was 6 months.

I then looked at the Ford mid size truck. It looked OK, but the MPG was way down on the scale. Fit and finish was only acceptable to someone like Helen Keller. Reported problems were with the transmission and electrical systems.

My finale American truck to look at was the midsized Dodge Dakota. A great looking truck, with a nice selection of motors, problem was they all sucked gas, MPG rating was still low on the scale and it was a higher polluter then GM and Ford midsized trucks. The interior was constructed of cheap thin plastic. I even broke a plastic radio bezel in one truck I was inspecting on the dealership floor…..talk about a piece of crap. Reported problems from owners again were with the motor and transmission, along with cheap build quality.

Feeling discouraged my wife suggested I look at a Toyota Tacoma…..she was literally ready to drive me to the dealership. So, I did my research. I knew what I wanted, V6, extra cab, two wheel drive, short bed. I didn’t want a lot of useless options. I wanted the ability to tow my Corvette if I needed to and I knew I would be keeping the truck along time, on average I own and keep cars about 13 years.

I went to the dealership, drove one, liked it and began my research. V6 mileage was around 18-20. Owners were reporting 20-24 MPG, fit and finish was great, interior was constructed well, warranty was pretty good, I could extend it if I wanted too. Owner survey reports only a few problems with the motor and very few transmission or other problems. It also could tow a trailer and Corvette together.

I made my decision with facts, figures, vehicle inspection and in-depth research I gathered over five long months of investigation.

I went with the 2007 Toyota Tacoma, outfitted just the way I wanted it and I paid what I know was a great price. I desperately tried to stay with an American truck company, but the product and the build quality was/is not out there.

Do I feel bad that I bought a Toyota? No; I feel bad that the big 3 are not producing high quality, fuel efficient, great looking, foreign beating products that I can be proud of….. that create that “want in me” to go out and purchase. :(:(:(

2. Dec 17, 2008 at 7:34 AM
    nocarsallowed

nocarsallowed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4X4 - Access Cab
    NO MODS YET! 20" Enkeis with NT420 performance tires coming soon...inspired by genxer36.
    Hey man. I came away from a Ford F-150. I wanted a new Ranger, but eventually got a Tacoma. I don't regret it. Quality is better and I was willing to pay to money for it. I'm hoping it lasts 6-8 years without any major repairs.
    I think the American automakers need to deal with their quality probs on thier own. This begging for public money has to stop. I won't buy another American truck - I don't care if they make a better one. They crossed the line with me when embarrassing themselves begging congress for money.

3. Dec 17, 2008 at 7:49 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    ^^^
    Wish I had the effort to look up all his post to contradict what he just said......

Oh brother....

4. Dec 17, 2008 at 7:51 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    For me it came down to the most bang for my buck. I could get a "comperable" domestic but I knew what I would be getting into. I was a domestic guy for years, however with owning Pontiacs and Chevy and Fords I had a bitter taste for them. My wife and I replaced her Taurus with her Corrolla and I was not expecting much. The little car suprised me with fuel efficiancy and comfort from a compact, so much that when it came time to replace my aging Chevy pickup I looked to Toyota. I found that the Tacoma was a great fit for my life and offered great economy and reliability for the money. I was so impressed with my 2000 reg cab that when I was in a posission to buy a brand new vehicle for myself I went to Toyota. I have never looked back at the domestics again, and have never been happier with my decisions. :)

5. Dec 17, 2008 at 7:51 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I was the same way. I was looking to buy my first truck. I, my father and my grandfather have all been Chevy fans. Growing up my dad always had Chevy pickups. I didn't really need full size, so like you I looked at the Colorado. After 10 min I knew thats not what I wanted. Never was a Dodge fan, and the Ford Ranger is a good truck, but sucks the gas. I always liked the first gen Tacomas but I figured my Grandfather would roll in his grave if he knew I bought a Toyota. So I went and test drove a 08. Before the gas prices went sky high the resale value on the Tacomas was one of the highest for a mid size. And the 17-20 MPG. I finaly got an 06 access cab sport with 14k on it. I didn't realize the 2nd gen was so much bigger than the first gen, but I love it and will never look back.

6. Dec 17, 2008 at 8:34 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Forget about the truck, what year is the corvette?

Where do you trailer it to?

7. Dec 17, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    JimmyCrackCorn

JimmyCrackCorn Atlanta Falcons

Member:
    Cumming, GA (N. Atlanta Area)
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black PreRunner TRD Sport
    Aero Kit, 3" Lift, 18% All Around Tint, 50% Windshield Tint, MO 957's (Polished), 285/65/18 Terra Grappler's
    Wow Motorshooter, you sound alot like me before I buy something. (Specially a big ticket item). My wife says I research shit to death before I make a decision, and she's right. I did the same thing when I bought my Tacoma as well as my 2008 Yamaha Raider, (made in Japan as well). My biker buddies say, "come on Phil, why didn't you just get a Harley?" Because I do my research and get what I think is the best vehicle for the money. Simply put, I'm out riding and enjoying my toys while most of theirs are at the shop or sitting in the garage with oil leaks. I might also add that I think my stuff is much better lookin than their stuff. Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of American made vehicles as well as a house full of American made stuff, but the Big 3 need to get it together because their products IMHO as far inferior.

8. Dec 17, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    Hey man I did the exact same thing you did, looked at Chevy, Ford and Dodge first. A co worker of mine has an 05 Colorado and it is falling apart, the head light just fell out after a cheap plastic clip broke! For the price range I was looking at the Taco was by far the best value for the money. Plus the 05 (which I bought) was the 2005 Motor Trend Truck of the Year.

9. Dec 17, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab, short bed, 4X4 SR5, Towing pkg. Inferno Orange -What a great color!
    Weather Tech stone guards, Undercover SE bed cover, fresh coat of wax. I really miss my Indigo Ink Pearl 07' DC -RIP-she saved my life. Thank you blue beast!
    I drive, it to Corvette meets. :D After I have it NCRS Top Flight judged I will be doing some SCCA racing with it...so I'll have to roll it on a trailer:) She is a 1994 coupe, Admiral Blue in color. LT-1 motor and "0" options
    [​IMG]
    More pics in my pics files:rolleyes:

10. Dec 17, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    that sure is puurrdy

11. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:03 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Back in 1986 my friend Mike had a black Toyota SR5 truck just like the one in the movie, Back to the Future.
    I wanted one so bad so ....
    I saved up some cash, traded in the Mercuy Lynx & bought my first new 1987 Toyota pickup and have been driving a toyota pickup ever since.
    Pic is in my gallery.

12. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:06 AM
    JimmyCrackCorn

JimmyCrackCorn Atlanta Falcons

Member:
    Cumming, GA (N. Atlanta Area)
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black PreRunner TRD Sport
    Aero Kit, 3" Lift, 18% All Around Tint, 50% Windshield Tint, MO 957's (Polished), 285/65/18 Terra Grappler's
    Now that's an American classic I'd love to have in my garage...very nice Motorshooter!

Oh, and BTW....you got a super clean organized garage there dude, I'm impressed!

13. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:09 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:

14. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    I know its a japanese company (not that i care anyway) but i do like that my truck was made in California. growing up my family only had ford cars/vans but recently its changed and my family is driving hondas/toyotas now with WAY less problems.

15. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:17 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    Nice looking Vette. ^
    I looked around too after owning my second Ranger and running it into the ground. When I was searching I looked at Chevy, underpowered IMO, Ford hadn't changed the Ranger much. Same platform, drivetrain from the 90's. Dodge was ok, but gas hog.
    I never owned a Toyota but heard nothing but good on them. Practically bulletproof trucks. Run forever if you tend to them regularly. So I drove one and was instantly impressed. Handed them a check and drove away a happy man.
    If the Big 2.8 want to get my business they need to change.
    It doesn't help that in the news the UAW whiners are vandalising their neighbors imports. They need to see the light of day and find new career paths. If not next year then in 2010 it'll be a mass exodus out of Detroit. They can hope and pray that Honda and Toyota will build new plants for them to work out of.

16. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    For me my only other option was getting a Dodge Diesel. I knew I wasn't going to be happy with a domestic gas engine. Having drove many dodge diesels, and know a few guys who have them, I know there decent trucks, mostly the engine I wanted. I'm sure glad I didn't get a big stinking diesel especially with the way gas prices are. I've owned 2 other yotas, and couldn't be happier with any of them!

17. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:08 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I'm a first genner but I'll chime in. I drove my 02 Ranger downtown one Saturday morning to pay a bill. Thought the place opened at 8 but it didn't open until 9. On the drive there the Ranger stalled at a red light. Again. The CEL was lit, I'd sunk a buttload of money into trying to fix it, even the Ford dealership couldn't figure it out.

Driving downtown took me a half hour, so it wasn't worth driving back home then back to pay the bill. Had an hour to kill. Looked down the road and saw the big Toyota sign up in the air.

Went in JUST TO LOOK, honestly wasn't looking for another truck, maybe another Corolla or even a used Echo, just something dependable. Was walking around the used lot hoping nobody would come out and bother me, but someone did. Was standing next to what became my truck when the saleswoman asked if I wanted to test drive it.

I owned it about a half hour later, drove my Ranger back home and gutted all my toys out of it, drove it down and did the trade. Haven't looked back since.

18. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I envy your garage.

19. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM
    Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you.:) I have some upgrades to do this spring, add a few shelves, redo the floor, and a display case

20. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

Amen brother!!!

To Top