1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why are new Tacomas rated so low? Consumer Reports has 2017 lowest/worst

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Weatherboy, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Jun 22, 2017 at 5:55 PM
    Weatherboy

Weatherboy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Wanting Taco
    Drove both today. Colorado rides better and technology is better. Especially Apple play.
    But something about a taco I've always loved. Like a jeep, they ain't the best, but loved.

I buy taco, don't like. Trade for a Chevy. I'd lose more money other way around.

2. Jul 4, 2017 at 10:05 AM
    DirtMeister

DirtMeister Cancel VFR, Going Tactical

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR Stealth DCSB 4x4 V6
    Aries Brush Bumper, ACI Lights, AOB switches, Back Up Camera and Beepers. Black front emblem and rear Tacoma Black. Other badges removed. Leer cap.
    Ditto to the above quote. I just read CR for 2015 (mine w/35,000 mi) and 2017. Not withstanding the problems with a differential leak on some 16s and 17s I continue to be baffled by CR frame of reference for reviews.
    OK, I'll agree the driver seat is too low. But cabin noise? My wife has hearing aids and doesn't need them when riding in the Taco because wind/road/ engine noise is so well controlled. In addition to a lot of driving on rough dirt and muddy roads we regularly drive it 1500 miles on interstates to visit family.
    I'm impressed with how it rides on the highway. For a truck, it is very comfortable and I'm not as fatigued after 8 hours as I was in my dear old 99 RAV4 AWD. We also had a Lexus 330 for long trips and I had no preference of the Taco over the Lexus for ride comfort on long trips. They don't like the braking either. I've had several panic stops both loaded and empty. Full control, no drift or loss of steering.
    Buying the Taco we test drove Colorado, Nissan and Honda. You want wind noise? Try the Frontier whistling between the rear view mirror and the cab . . . . geeez. CR doesn't like the handling and complains that you can't feel the steering. You have to test drive for yourself. Maybe the test driver wants a McFearson front strut, four wheel independent, anti sway bar, Tokyo Drift tuned suspension. Its a truck! CR lauds the Taco as a basic workhorse and complains about steering. Can't have it both ways. I think it's fine in city traffic, winding country roads or off road. That's just me. Apparently I'm not a sophisticated connoisseur of steering.
    Some reviews downgrade the Taco because of not keeping up with tech advances like lane cHange warning or cross traffic sensors or all around cameras. That's a bum rap. If that's your thing, buy a truck with those features over safety and long term reliability, or buy a Highlander. You want 6,000 lb towing and excellent off road handling, buy a Taco.
    Test drive everything. Buy what makes you feel good and something you can depend on. CR thinks a Colorado is a better deal or a full size pick up like a RAM. But will they still be on the road in 250,000 miles with almost zero rattles?
    Years ago I remember CR downgrading the acceptability of a certain TV set because they didn't like the shinny material around the control knobs. (Right, back when TVs had knobs . . .)

Products Discussed in

To Top