1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why are Switch Pro so expensive

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by sparky01, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Dec 3, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    sparky01

sparky01 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    None yet
    I just got my 2022 Tacoma that I've been wanting for a long time and started thinking that I want to add a switch panel for all the goodies I want to install. I was thinking of going with a Switch Pro setup but man they are expensive! Just wondering why and if any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    New guy

D. Lengua likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Ive been wondering why theyre so expensive too lol

welcome to tacomaworld

Taco_Coma likes this.
  3. Dec 3, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    codyjphoto

codyjphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2015 gx460
    A bunch of junk
    Voswitch is great

jimmyg08 likes this.
  4. Dec 3, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    svermilyea

svermilyea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco Sport (Cement)
    3in leveling lift (Coilovers and AAL) 285/65R18 tires 18" Fuel wheel/tire package Pro Grill, Morimoto XB LED Headlights, DD SS3 Pro Fogs Body Armor Front and Rear Bumpers Pioneer WC6600 head unit w/ OEM Audio + Reference 500 System with dedicated sub amp Meso signal lights, gas hole, led interior lights, ECT relocate, Chrome delete kits Meso Overhead Molle Rack, Seat Risers, Katzkin Leather seats (self installed...it was a fucking bitch) VFTuned .....KDMax Pro!
    Having previously owned a another brand of controller, I would account for the increased cost on two fronts. The SwitchPro is miniaturized compared to other controllers, and there is significantly more features in the SwitchPro. They are programable in terms of function and illumination. If you are looking for a simple on/off switch, there are a number of less expensive options. If you are looking for color matching, programmability, and wireless configuration a SwitchPro is your best bet.

MJTH likes this.
  5. Dec 3, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    Brian422

Brian422 I fell into the pit that is TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBCSB F/R Locked, 35's ,Long travel, 23 Tundra 4x4 limited
    Not Stock
  6. Dec 3, 2021 at 8:46 AM
    Brian422

Brian422 I fell into the pit that is TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBCSB F/R Locked, 35's ,Long travel, 23 Tundra 4x4 limited
    Not Stock
  7. Dec 4, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    sparky01

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    None yet
    Thanks

8. Dec 4, 2021 at 5:23 PM
    Freeheelbillie

Freeheelbillie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    No love for Spod?

9. Dec 4, 2021 at 5:26 PM
    MJTH

MJTH PretenderLander

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado-Westslopebestslope
    Vehicle:
    19 OR- Land Yacht, w/ fireplace
    Solid state protection, programmability, wireless control, and because they can? Idk

Jayhat likes this.
  10. Dec 4, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    mutely

mutely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in metallic primer
    You can easily make way better for less, but your paying for popularity, ease of install, something that’s already made. With really basic programming skills you can program a variety of chips & premade boards and get way more options. I Built my own, I can control from phone, manual switches and steering wheel control buttons, it does ECT always on, cameras and gps as standard Toyota functions, and controls all accessories like switch pro through relays. Cost about $50 in hardware and is way more configurable.

11. Dec 4, 2021 at 6:02 PM
    Taco_Coma

Taco_Coma That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR5
    You could probably make some money making these for people on here…

DesertLunar likes this.
  12. Dec 4, 2021 at 6:06 PM
    japjoe7

japjoe7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Pike County, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 Barcelona Red Sport DC AT
    Someone explain the programmability part please.

13. Dec 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM
    MJTH

MJTH PretenderLander

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado-Westslopebestslope
    Vehicle:
    19 OR- Land Yacht, w/ fireplace
    You can set lots of different parameters.
    output Dimming, Strobing, Flashing, Master-Slave functions, Memory, Auto Power-Up, Momentary, Battery/Ignition input.

For example, my light bar comes on with the high beams. If I hold the button for the light bar it dims to 50% then 10%. Double tap the button, it activates a strobe affect.
    It's a light bar that pulls 6 amps, so I was able to set the amp overload to 10 amps(because it's a solid state fuse)

Light bar only operates when ignition power is on. I programmed a different switch that controls high speed usb outlets to come on at any time, even if the truck is off

There are lots of possible options, and you can program all of it to your liking.

14. Dec 4, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    japjoe7

japjoe7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Pike County, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 Barcelona Red Sport DC AT
    Wow ok, that’s awesome. Sounds worth it to me.

15. Dec 4, 2021 at 6:39 PM
    01 dhrracer

01 dhrracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes
    Vehicle:
    Still Shopping
    How much does marketing and sponsorships play in the retail cost? For an example a well known Mt. Bike suspension MFG. retail price on a component was about $1K. The price for this item for a B-level pro (raced regionally with some national events but not on the world stage) was only $260.00. Now consider how much those on the world stage level get supported and paid. Those dollars have to come from some ware. Do I know how much Switch-Pro's pays out in sponsor ships? No.

16. Dec 4, 2021 at 6:48 PM
    JKO1998

JKO1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 4.0 V6 4X4 Cement 18 3.5 V6 4x4
    If all you’re wanted to do it turn your lights on and off I don’t think switch pro would be worth it.

my auxbeam has been good

17. Dec 4, 2021 at 7:18 PM
    sparky01

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    None yet
    Thanks for all of the advice. I'm glad I found this sight! This truck is my daily driver but I spent the extra $ to have a vehicle I can really use to explore places a less capable vehicles can't. That being said I plan on upgrading to a Anytime Camera System, Heated Seats, on board compressor, lights etc.. so I think the Auxbeam would for me.

18. Dec 4, 2021 at 7:22 PM
    mutely

mutely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i could, I posted some into about it a few years ago. But ultimately I don’t have the time. I thought about posting all the info to allow people to make their own. But if I do, I just know someone else will start making them and selling them as a completed kit, then chances are they probably don’t fully under electronics or the programming side and create more problems, so decided against the hassle factor. There are a few examples of this already happening on Tacoma world and I really don’t want to feed that. If I could release all the info and people would actually make their own and learn, I’d absolutely support and help that. But seems the majority want a plug n play kit that they can install from watching YouTube.

D. Lengua, mrchin and MJTH like this.
  19. Dec 5, 2021 at 5:05 PM
    mutely

mutely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    For your anytime camera, you’d actually be better off using the switch pro (with a little electrical know how) or making your own, than the majority of kits out their. If their is a diode in the circuit you buy, or the seller offers diode as replacement items, there is a reason. They are using a diode incorrectly in their circuit and it’s prone to failure when used in this manor.

20. Dec 5, 2021 at 10:17 PM
    CAG Gonzo

CAG Gonzo Ascendant Spaghetti

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR DCLB BarRed
    This has piqued my interest. I was looking into designing a custom PCB that could hang out in the engine bay that connects to a raspberry pi in the cab and only requires one cable so you don't have to route a bunch of stuff through the firewall. I lack the computer and electronic engineering skills to be able to design such a board. I've no problems making software though (am a computer scientist), nor making housings (have a 3d printer), or wiring connections.

The problem I think I see is that whatever controls the accessories should live in the engine bay (ideally) for optimal placement, reach, and use. But then it needs to be made of parts that can withstand heat (hard problem) and elements (easy problem). Then you need a controller to control the accessories. I don't think boards like adruino or the Pi can withstand consistently high temps and I'm wary of attempting to isolate them with a bunch of insulation when I can just stuff them in the cab. Plus I want them close by to route other connections and accessories like screens or switch panels.

Products Discussed in

To Top