1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

why can't we get the diesel engine in u.s.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MotoXdoer, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Oct 3, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    MotoXdoer

MotoXdoer [OP] taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    San Luis Obispo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 4.0 a/c beast
    k&n cai 63 series intake, blacked out headlights, blacked out tailights, magnaflow pro offroad 17115 dumped, URD competetion y-pipe, total chaos 3.5" long travel, fox 2.5x8" remote resevoir shocks, allied 4" spindles, toytec 2" AAL, 20% tint up front and 5% rear, satoshi grille, ddm 50w 6000k hid's. wet okole custom trd seat covers with heaters. 4:56 nitro gears with arb rd129 air locker, arb ckmta12 dual air compressor.
    Like the previous generation model, the new one shares a platform with the latest Lexus luxury SUV, the LX570. Prior to the mid-nineties, Toyota did offer diesel engines in the US market Land Cruiser but in recent years they have only offered gasoline V-8s.

At the US launch event for the new Land Cruiser Brian Smith, Toyota's truck and SUV marketing manager said that diesels are the dominant choice for buyers outside of North America. Smith indicated that at some point this new diesel could turn up at US dealers as well. In the US market the Land Cruiser has never been one of the top sellers among large SUVs with fewer than 3,400 sales in 2006. Nonetheless Toyota is projected that to more than double to 8,000 anually with the new model.

For overseas markets, Toyota is offering an all-new 4.5L diesel V-8 in the new Land Cruiser. The D-4D engine as it has been dubbed features a common rail injection system, the first time that Toyota has used this setup on a V-8 engine. In combination with a pair of variable nozzle turbochargers the new engine generates 286hp at 3,600 rpm and 479lb-ft from 1600 to 2800rpm.

Each bank of the V-8 gets its own independent common rail injection setup which has 33 percent higher pressure than the older 4.2L inline six cylinder diesel from the last generation model. The 1,800 bar injection pressure helps facilitate finer more precise metering of the fuel. The use of this new injection system enables a pair of 1 mm^3 pilot injection strokes before the main pulse which helps reduce the noise from the combustion process by 3.5 dB compared to the old six.

The twin turbochargers have electrically actuated variable intake nozzles. The DC motors can make faster more precise adjustments to the turbo inlets than the more typical vacuum actuator. The combination of the new turbochargers and fuel system means the engine can respond better to inputs from the driver. With the engine following the driver's request more precisely, the driver is less likely to overshoot what's really needed contributing to improved efficiency.

The turbochargers are also equipped with the equivalent of a dry sump lubrication system. A scavenging system pulls out excess oil in the turbocharger housings, reducing the consumption and emissions. Emissions are further reduced through the use of an exhaust gas recirculation system to lower combustion temperatures and NOx production. The EGR passages have been integrated into the cylinder head castings. This reduces the part count for assembly, while the potential for leaks as well eliminating another source of noise from the connections that are eliminated. The manufacturing costs are also reduced.

In spite of the larger displacement and increased power, the new engine is significantly lighter than the old diesel. The combination of the V-8 block configuration and casting it from compacted graphite cast iron provides for a block that is 75 percent stiffer and 30 percent lighter than the inline six cylinder block. The stronger material and the stiffer configuration reduces the vibration and the noise produced by the new engine.

Compared to the previous diesel engine, the D-4D produces 40 percent more power and 50 percent more torque. The new engine pushes the nearly 5,800lb Land Cruiser to 62mph from a standing start in 8.2 seconds, one second faster than the 4.7L gasoline V-8. The D-4D is compliant with current EURO IV emissions standards but not with US Tier 2 Bin 5 standards. On the European Union combined mileage cycle the 4.5L diesel is rated at 23 mpg compared to 16.3 for the 4.7L gasoline engine.

For the time being Toyota is only offering this new diesel V-8 outside of North America. Toyota spokesman Curt McAllister confirmed that although Toyota is looking at alternative fuels the company has no immediate plans to offer the new diesel to American consumers. At the Los Angeles Auto Show introduction of the 2008 Sequoia, Toyota did announce plans to offer a flex-fuel version of the 4.7L V-8 in that vehicle. According to McAllister there are currently no plans to offer the flex-fuel engine in the Land Cruiser either. If the new fuel economy regulations do get enacted by the US Congress, these plans may change.

411_caption_120607.jpg
    toyota-landcruiser-200-engine1.jpg

2. Oct 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport 2wd
    5100s @ 0.85, Grom iPod/Bluetooth adapter, mud flaps removed, clear turn signal bulbs, TSB leafs, two extra D-rings, debadged, fog light anytime, OEM bed mat, Undercover classic, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Fumoto valve
    It's not cost effective

3. Oct 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
  4. Oct 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    MotoXdoer

MotoXdoer [OP] taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    San Luis Obispo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 4.0 a/c beast
    k&n cai 63 series intake, blacked out headlights, blacked out tailights, magnaflow pro offroad 17115 dumped, URD competetion y-pipe, total chaos 3.5" long travel, fox 2.5x8" remote resevoir shocks, allied 4" spindles, toytec 2" AAL, 20% tint up front and 5% rear, satoshi grille, ddm 50w 6000k hid's. wet okole custom trd seat covers with heaters. 4:56 nitro gears with arb rd129 air locker, arb ckmta12 dual air compressor.
    i would pay 5k extra for it even if it was the 3.0l in the hilux. that one gets 30-35mpg. that right there makes it totally worth it

5. Oct 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    cuz we stink here.they always have cooler shit over seas like turbo motors that we cant get here.

6. Oct 3, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    grassflatsfisher

grassflatsfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad DC
    Grille Guard, Husky Liners, More to come...only got 800miles on it.
    Because the US requires more emmission than any other country and diesel here is $2.75+ a gal... Everywhere else it's $1.00...

Due to lower emmissions they can make it get 35+ miles per gal in foreign countries. US it might get 20...

7. Oct 3, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    Al Gore says that a turbo runs really hot and that contributes to global warming and bad drive thru service.

8. Oct 3, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    dune boy

dune boy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner
    blacked out lights, emblems, K&N, Racerunner coilovers, 33 bfg,
    haha al gore needs to go sit on a volcano....

9. Oct 3, 2009 at 10:50 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    What's so great about a diesel? Especially in anything but a full size truck.

10. Oct 3, 2009 at 11:00 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    We will never get a diesel in North America because...
    A) It would cost too much
    B) Emissions regulations are very strict
    C) Al Gore

11. Oct 3, 2009 at 11:05 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 4runner SR5 v8
    VW TDI ring a bell....never say never! and i think Mercedes has one too...

12. Oct 3, 2009 at 11:19 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 Mid-Travel 4x4 DCSB 6spd
    Kings Mid Travel, BAMF bed rack, RTT, dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    The Tacoma sales are doing really well. If the diesel ever became available, it would steal sales away from the Tundra.

13. Oct 4, 2009 at 12:18 AM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd

are you kidding me!!! in England right now both Gasoline and Diesel are at around 1 Pound a Litre...which is the equivalent of $1.60-$2.00 (depending on current exchange rate). Then 1 US Gallon = 4.5 UK Litres so that means that it costs about $7.20-$9.00 per gallon in the UK..

yes Emissions are less strict over there so the Jetta TDi for example gets around 50 MPG over here where it gets around 60 MPG over there but Diesel is still way more efficient than gasoline engines...and better for the earth..

14. Oct 4, 2009 at 12:30 AM
    AlexForbesR6

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd

hells yeah they are...
    that and the fact that the lanes are about half the size of the ones over here...you can't swerve in your own lane in the uk like you can over here...

when i moved over to the us i was like:eek: at all the big cars and trucks and sh**

i miss small cars and small roads

15. Oct 4, 2009 at 12:48 AM
    AlexForbesR6

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    Born and raised in the Chester area...outside of Manchester, in a small village called Frodsham.

16. Oct 4, 2009 at 12:58 AM
    AlexForbesR6

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    thats awesome dude!

gl wth that, i bet you'll love it!

17. Oct 4, 2009 at 1:15 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

x2.

18. Oct 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    True. I have been living in the UK for 3yrs now. Most vehicles here are desiels. Everyone wants a desiel because of the better mpg. The desiels here actually burn cleaner than gas. There is not reason why we don't have desiels in the US. I think if they did bring desiels over, all gas vehicles would plummit in resale values. Everyone would eventualy switch to a desiel. Engines lasts 3'x longer than gas.

19. Oct 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Several reasons. The reason the cars are small over here is because fuel is expensive and the damn roads are soooo skinny. Some two lanes roads are smaller than our 1 lane back country road. Some of the villiges here are so old with the same width roads that they used when they had horse buggies to get around in. The british are proud of their heritge and it takes permission from the Queen to tear down a historical building.

OOps,

20. Oct 4, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Yeah, sorry. I messed up. You are correct. But I do think another reason is because the damn roads are so small. europe built their roads on top of past horse buggy roads. Since alot of houses are still standing from Jesus's time, they have no room for expansion. Thats why America and Canada! is so awesome. we are a new country that can develope wide roads for our big ass SUV's.LOL!

To Top