1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why do people ask you for car advise then ignore it?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by fireturk41, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Dec 31, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 [OP] I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    I understand taking a poll and getting opinions from people about stuff to do or mods but why do people ask for mechanical work and then either completely ignore your advise or argue what youre saying?

ive had one person ask me for brake advise/work, i told her the problem and what i could do to fix it and a price of 40 bucks over material cost replacing rear pads and rotors on a camaro, she replies back with my boyfriend says thats not what the problem is and i say well if that aint it let him fix it...get a call back a few days later, her rotor cracked and locked up the wheel.

or when i do a oil change 10 bucks over material and i catch hell for being too expensive and then they come back whining when walmart or jiffy lube screws up their car

or the most recent, car is making a funny noise and has a CEL, i offer to check the CEL for free, i get the reply of oh ill just keep driving it. then why did you even bother calling me?

just a rant and if you want share your stories

2. Dec 31, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    I quit giving car advice a long time ago. When someone asks me nowadays I just give 'em the "holy trinity". If they are pro Japanese Honda/Toyota, if they are pro American GM/Chrysler/ Ford.

3. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    I quit giving advice years ago....

I used to work on cars as a side project/hobby and only asked that they pay for parts, solvents/gasket adhesives/grease, and generally all the work was done for a 12 pack of beer... I gave this up when the people I knew, started telling their friends and they wanted to borrow a vehicle from ME while I worked on their shit....I thought I was working cheap enough already without having to pay for the gas in my vehicle I didn't use.:mad:

What really bothered me was when I told them they needed, let's say, a CV joint replaced and they would ask what they could do to "get by"...they got pissed off when I recommended keeping a tow company on speed-dial and prepare to pay $100 for a tow, 250 for a rebuilt axle and 300 for labor.:D (not exaggerating the local prices at the shops either) Strangely enough, the last CV I replaced was like $130 from Auto Zone and 45 minutes of work (old Chrysler product of some type, don't remember).

4. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    i ask them how much money they have and how much they are whiling to spend lol. if they really want to fix it then ill work on it but if not ill let them take it else where

5. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    some people just dont like to hear the truth when that advice is more expensive than they can afford (or think they can afford or want to spend). so basically they go into denial, cut corners or ignore the problem which winds up costing them even more in the long run.

my good friend owned a repair shop and got so sick of people cutting corners and then blaming him when things went wrong later he finally closed the shop and became a train mechanic where he didn't have to deal with the public.

6. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Don't give advice anymore people don't want to listen when they have to spend money to fix something and in the end they can spend even more to fix than it would have been to prevent. My sister for example has a ~01 Ford Focus that has a bad wheel bearing in the back tire and a bad cv boot. I saw, heard, and isolated the problems and told her what it would take to fix it, about $100 and a few hours, she wouldn't spend the money for me to fix it for her and now her car is stuck 40 miles away from home with a blown out wheel bearing and no way to get it home because she didn't want to pay the 100 bucks to fix it. She called me and the only thing I had to say was 'told you so'.
    Edit: She's home now but the car is still in the home depot parking lot she's going to pay 400 to have it towed tomorrow so she has already throw away 300 dollars by ignoring mine, my fathers, and our mechanic's advice. She's on her own now.

7. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    toyPreRunner

toyPreRunner LET'S GO JOE'S!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    West Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB PreRunner
    People ask for advice or help hoping that you will do the research and work for free. I used to offer to do oil changes for my friend's cars for the price of a burger or a 6-pack on top of parts. Now I don't even offer because some of them still think that is too much and I shouldn't charge anything for being a friend.

I've always heard this and found out the hard way - Never do business with friends or family.

8. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    ^ I only do it to current gf's or friends w bennies. I like to be pleasantly rewarded... ;)

9. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    canyonchaser

canyonchaser Member Known Well

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    I think most people don't really want advise, they want someone to reassure them that their logic is sound and that they have already made a very good decision.

There was a kid on here a few weeks ago that wanted to know if a cheap lift kit that his parents would be buying for him would be safe. Everybody said it wasn't, and he got indignant and said he couldn't afford to pay any more than that and his parents didn't want him to do any work on his own. Whatever, dude.

dp

10. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Simple.
    They want reinforcement for what they already believe.

11. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    It happens on this forum all the time. I work at a shop, some guy had questions on here and when the conversation turned into "don't top off your gas tank because...", people basically told myself and some technicians on here that we're full of crap. Sometimes this site, and especially time at work just make me think people are stupid. My advise to people that ask me now is simple. Don't ask me. I'm trained but I guess that a person that empties their transmission to do an oil change knows more than me. It's like webmd.com- why go to the doctor who's been trained, has 12 yrs of schooling and knows what's going on when you can just tell the computer where you feel pain and it spits out that you either have a splinter, tonsillitis, terminal cancer, or a urinary tract infection.

12. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    PreRunner03

PreRunner03 Hail State

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner Double Cab TRD
    Why don't you top it off?:confused:

13. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    eodrunner

eodrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerron
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    2 JL 10W3, Infinity reference series speakers all around, infinity 1600a and 475a amps, Pioneer Avicenna-z140bh
    I don't know why this popped in my mind but here's what I thought of as I started reading this thred.

I've been to a ton of different countries working with lots of military around the world and the one thing that I see keeps the US on top is maintenance. Sounds crazy, but I believe it's true. We spend a butload of money fixing and preventing problems to keep our gear running. Other countries don't do that. Then when it really breaks they can't afford to fix it and turn it into a monument where it sits. Hilarious some of the places you'll find a tank or better, a fighter jet monument.

Anyways. Those of us who recognize the $100 fix now and do it are like the US. Yeah, we may waste money in some areas, but at the end of they day our car still gets us where we want to go. Those others who'd rather save that expensive $100 eventually have a monument in Walmart, Target, or some other store until they can afford to fix the now much more expensive problem.

14. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 [OP] I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    it can mess up the charcoal canister haha

nice to know i aint the only one that gets pissed off dealing with the general public, Happy New years yall

15. Dec 31, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    PreRunner03

PreRunner03 Hail State

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner Double Cab TRD
    What the hell does the charcoal canister do? :confused:

16. Dec 31, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    THIS

THIS

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it cost more than 5 bucks to fix it, it's to much.
    They make a mistake on their vehicle and they get pissed when it's going to cost them double to fix their problem.
    Every vehicle repair should be free forever with a loaner and a car wash and not have to pay for anything. Every part needs to last forever.

I'll give advise when i can. But if it cost me time and money, your gonna pay. Believe it or not, i have bills too......

17. Dec 31, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Well said.

I'll be dipped. I grew up in Chicopee.

18. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I grew up in southwick, but ended up in Chicopee 7 yrs ago. Howdy!

And tacomamike, I could tell you're from a dealership from the whole "loaner" statement! It's amazing how many people demand a free car to use because they're inconvenienced. I don't get one if m toyota goes in or when my motorcycle needs dealer service 45 minutes away!

19. Jan 9, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Possible. But often people get a new perspective and form their own new opinion. I find this happens often.

20. Jan 9, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Unless it's a close friend or relative, I'll give very general advice but won't look at it or offer to fix it for them. I always worry that if something else goes wrong, even if it's 100% unrelated, they'll try to come back and blame me. Because of that, they can pay a mechanic to do the work for them. If someone has to do something like a brake job and asks me for help, I'll gladly help them out because it's not a diagnosis, it's just asking for help on a particular, straight forward job. I agree with Whipper, people are generally very ignorant when it comes to certain things.

Products Discussed in

To Top