1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why do some Tacoma's have a 4WD Button on the transfer case lever and some dont??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 4wdExplorer, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2017 at 7:04 AM
    Jon G

Jon G Hoarding Tacomas one at a time,

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    St John's Newfoundland Canada
    Vehicle:
    02, 04 & 07 Tacoma
    Magnaflow 2.5 Catback Exhaust K&N filter
    My 04 v6 trd limited auto has the 4x4 button on the shifter

My 02 v6 standard 4 x4 has a transfer case shifter

I know of a 04 trd limited 4x4 standard with the button on the shifter

2. Mar 25, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Even I'm clueless on this 4wd, all 4wd, lock, e-lock system. Just answer the guy as there are going to be other noobs who need to know.

3. Mar 25, 2017 at 7:15 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    Alright. I see a bunch of misinformation here, so I'll jump in.

The transfer case without the button is often referred to as a "J shift" case due to the shift pattern. It is a completely manual transfer case, and could come with either manual front hubs or an ADD front diff with live CV axles.

The transfer case with the button is an electronic case. There's an electric motor that activates the shift fork to put the case into 4H, and then you have to manually push it forward into 4L. I do not believe this case ever came with manual hubs. Only the ADD front diff.

No Tacoma has auto locking hubs. They either had manual hubs, or the ADD front diff. The ADD has live axles that always spins and has a passenger side disconnect that moves back and forth.

4. Mar 25, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R
    My 02 Trd off-road had the push button on the t-case shift lever for hi, low had to be engaged manually. I think the lower trim levels did not have the push button.

5. Oct 5, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    johnnywasaburningforest

johnnywasaburningforest Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    None
    ok well here is a fun one... so I have an 03 Tacoma 6 cyl, TRD, manual transmisson and while I was changing out the upstream O2 sensor, when removing the shift knobs (because I am dumb and didn't even think about it) I severed the wire inside the knob that is for the on the fly 4wd trigger. How you even get the knob off without severing this wire is beyond me. And now I have this severed connection and the 4wd wont engage because, well, the severed wire. Fun. I am digging into this now to see how it gets fixed but if anyone has any insight, I am all ears. It looks like there is a plug connection downstream from this but how you would even get at without removing the knob is beyond me?

6. Oct 5, 2020 at 6:29 PM
    Allex95

Allex95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    allex
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7l 4 cylinder
    It really all depends on the first gens dont quote me but of course the older models have a J shifter with 2H-4H-4L which i have in my 96. The newer first gens come with a 4wd button that has a actuator instead which is electronic while the J shifter is manual. Also a cool fact if you dont know with manual hubs you can break a axle and take it out and drive home fine while with the ADD 4wds you could not do that.

7. Oct 5, 2020 at 6:29 PM
    4xdog

4xdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint Louis MO
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC 4WD TRD, 2015 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD, 2008 Lexus RX350, 1962 Triumph TR3B
    I traded the charcoal interior from my 2001 DC into my (originally) oak 2003 when I upgraded a few years ago, to keep the best-of-the-best and the color I liked.

My charcoal 01 had electronic 4WD and my 03 had the J-shifter. So that part couldn't switch. I did change the gear levers, so I figured out how to do the wiring/switch change there, but luckily never had to dig into the transfer case.

One can see just a bit of the electronic 4WD engagement switch here in its original charcoal as the oak interior got installed.
    [​IMG]

Here are some detail pix of the gear shift lever. The T-case is likely similar. The switch levers out gently past some clips and the switch has small spade lug connectors. I had to take the switch apart to get those connectors off, and putting all the pieces back together under spring tension is great fun. I laid a drop cloth throughout the interior to find the spring when it was sure to go flying, and that did indeed help a few times before I got it all together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The electronic t-case shift is almost like the J-shift, except for the knob with the switch that seems to have a single screw holding it on. I haven't found the details on the switch to see how similar (or different) it is compared to the gear lever.

Electronic 4WD:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The J-shifter:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Oct 6, 2020 at 5:17 AM
    Vann

Vann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Weisenburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    '04 x-cab 4x4, 2.7 5sp. "The Black Pearl"
    stock
    Same here.

9. Oct 6, 2020 at 5:37 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I had an 04 reg cab Stick shift 2.7 and the 4wd lever was all manual. Shift it into 4wd hi, neutral or lo. The 03 TRD/OR I just bought is a 3.4 stick shift and it has the button on the 4wd lever. It’s not a limited. I’ve shopped about 8 1st gens in the last month and it seemed random to me. None were Limited models, some were off-road models and it varied truck to truck.

and I never had to step out to lock the front hubs on my 04.

10. Oct 6, 2020 at 5:59 AM
    kyledamon

kyledamon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Burlington, VT
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC TRD OR
    I had the same truck for over 10 years but an 02. The manual t case was great for having some fun in the winter. Driving in 4H and then you could push it forward to 2H and then shift into second, pop the clutch to drift a little sideways into your next turn (or maybe a full donut :)) and then when you’re done pop it back into 4H real quick and give er hell. Can’t do that (at least that quick) in a 2nd Gen. Man I miss that little truck.

11. Oct 6, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    Nano909

Nano909 Stirrer Of Pots

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Xcab 3.4 4wd 5MT
    2001 manual 4wd here, and no button on my J shifter.

el_de_la Taco likes this.
  12. Dec 2, 2023 at 12:24 AM
    hessian42

hessian42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    2002 3.4L 5 speed TRD xtra cab here with 400k miles and a very tired button/ electronic transfer case.....

Been looking for a good core or usable T-Case and the E ones are impossible to find. Are the two different cases compatible? they look almost identical!

am I able to simply pull the electronic actuator on the back of my case an install it on a non E case along with shifter & button or are they completely different inside as well?

13. Dec 3, 2023 at 1:23 PM
    Shark2000

Shark2000 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2000 silver Tacoma TRD 4x4 extd cab
    Stock
    Some front transfer cases use different shifters. J shifters do not have button. The newer electronic shifters have push button

Products Discussed in

To Top