1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why do we not have those self service auto shops like they have on military bases?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by TheWarthog, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Apr 27, 2014 at 5:41 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau

Hah! Given the topic, I read that you would give peeps a place to build YOUR truck!

There was a self service place in Durham NC, first lawsuit and they were done, or so I heard. Their advertisements and web site were still around last I checked, but the place gone.

2. Apr 27, 2014 at 5:56 AM
    elclem21

elclem21 Quebeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Clément
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD DCLB
    OME 885x front, TC UCAs, OME Dakars rear, 4.30 gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac (rear diff), HomerTaco Raptor Style satoshi grill
    We are no different in Canada. Some (and only some) of the military bases have a military Car Club. Otherwise, outside the fences, there is not so much places I know. In fact I am only aware of 1 place in Québec city where you can rent a bay. It used to cost me $15 an hour maybe 10 years ago, free tool rental, etc.

The only reason why there is not so much such places outside the military bases is because of the insurance coverage. It cost a lot to the owner to let anybody walk in and do their own work. Exposure to potential serious injuries is slightly increased compared to a professional workshop. Not every owners are willing to assume such risks.

As for the military clubs, the fact that it is restricted to the military community helps to narrow down who can use the facility. We also have to sign a waiver of responsibility, attesting that we understand and accept the risks associated with the use of tools and equipment.

3. Apr 27, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    TheWarthog

TheWarthog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Debadged, Leer Cap, AFE Pro Dry S,

4. Apr 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Doesn't work. The url is bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top