1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why does nobody tie their off road lights into their high beams?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Rooty, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Agreed

Agreed

2. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper with Foglights, IPF 968 Driving Lights, Color Matched Grill Surround and Eyelids, Grillcraft Grill with Custom Taco Emblem, Black Headlight Mod, EGR Hood Deflector and In Channel Rain Guards, Stock Wheels Painted Black, BFG TA/KO's in 265/75/R16, Debadged, Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders, Front Windows Tint, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertec Floor Mats, Autolights Unlimited Smoked 3rd Brake and Tail Lights, Powdercoated Rear Bumper, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Factory Bed Mat, Compustar 1 way remote start
    I think I may go with this, it seems like the best of both worlds. You could even rig a three way switch for always off, allways on and on with HB's

Thanks!

3. Dec 4, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    I chose not to tie them in because Sometimes I like using my Highbeams without my Offroad Lights on. Also think about it this way, If your High beams and Offroad Lights were on just driving down a highway the other person would be really blinded, vs just having the Highs on.

4. Dec 5, 2009 at 3:28 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I can still use my highbeams without my offroad lights. Thats what my switchs are for (allowing me to turn on the lights with the highbeams)

5. Dec 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    i have mine wired (at the moment to my fogs) so i can turn them on whenever i want. cut me off or whatever i can turn them on without having to mess with the low/high beams.

[​IMG]

6. Dec 8, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    bane

bane Active Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC SR5 V6 6-Speed
    6" Pro-Comp Lift, 35x12.50R18 BFG KM2's, 18x9 Pro-Comp 7036, All-Pro Front and Rear bumpers, AP Sliders, KC HID lights, Smittybilt Winch

What high beam wire did you use to trigger your relay?

I've heard the newer trucks are sometimes less than 12v on the high beam circuits (switch side), due to being computer controlled.

I've been looking over wiring diagrams and it does appear the high beam circuit runs through an ECU on our trucks.

I run a lot of forest roads where you can use off road lights but do encounter oncoming traffic more than just being out on the trails. Being able to kill everything with the high beams beats fumbling for the individual switches. For me anyway

7. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    So why would you want off-road lights on with the high-beam lights? Since they're both designed for distance, I don't really see what you'd gain by combining them with the off-road lights since they're brighter anyway? With the low beams on, you'd get a shorter wider light pattern up close with the distance beam coming from the off-road lights. Seems like you'd get the most illumination with the low/off-road combination.

8. Dec 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I think it was the pink wire with a strip in the middle. I think the strip was yellow.

I used a test light to figure it out. First time doing this stuff and it worked first try.

9. Dec 10, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    bane

bane Active Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC SR5 V6 6-Speed
    6" Pro-Comp Lift, 35x12.50R18 BFG KM2's, 18x9 Pro-Comp 7036, All-Pro Front and Rear bumpers, AP Sliders, KC HID lights, Smittybilt Winch
    Thanks for the info...

Got them wired up yesterday... ended up using the red (maybe pink?) high beam wire right off the back of the drivers side headlight. Worked perfect.

Also did the fog mod, but wanted mine to only come on if the lights were on. But still on with low or high beam. So I tapped the relay over to the parking light (green wire on the drivers side), instead of the usual light green wire in the relay box.

10. Dec 10, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i tied my fogs into the factory fog light wiring... plus i did the mod that will turn them on and off by my parking lights. then the driving lights i have are on a switch all by themselves.. this has come in quite handy several times. i can be running my low beams with the fogs on and also turn on the driving lights to get more light out at a distance...

11. Dec 10, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Thats awesome bane! Glad it worked out.

I'll have to do the fog mod this summer. Sounds like it can be very useful

12. Dec 10, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    ...Here's another idea. Wire them in series with the relay for your high beams, and bypass the relay with a switch, and have a SECOND switch BEFORE the relay. That way, you can turn on the lights whenever you like, and flip the the second switch that will allow them to operate with your high beams.

I'm GENIUS!!!

p.s., I can draw a diagram on how to do this if'n you need me to.

13. Dec 15, 2009 at 2:33 AM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper with Foglights, IPF 968 Driving Lights, Color Matched Grill Surround and Eyelids, Grillcraft Grill with Custom Taco Emblem, Black Headlight Mod, EGR Hood Deflector and In Channel Rain Guards, Stock Wheels Painted Black, BFG TA/KO's in 265/75/R16, Debadged, Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders, Front Windows Tint, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertec Floor Mats, Autolights Unlimited Smoked 3rd Brake and Tail Lights, Powdercoated Rear Bumper, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Factory Bed Mat, Compustar 1 way remote start
    That would be great man, it sounds kinda like my three way switch idea only a little simpler. So you would have two switches in the cab right? One as a master to turn them on and then one that would make them go on and off with the high beams?

14. Dec 16, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    MajKong

MajKong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2008 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Seatbelt Buzzer turned off, Bed Mat, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Intermittent Wipers, Fumoto drain valve, LCE header, fog lights
    I think this is a great idea, for the reasons that the OP stated. I don't want to fumble with extra switches should I encounter on-coming traffic. However, now I like the three-way switch or double relay idea better.

15. Dec 16, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    Lichen

Lichen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 2008 FJ
    Lifted, ARB bumper, Warn winch, IPF lights, CB, front locker, camper shell, roof rack
    If I remember, the instructions that come with the IPFs have you wiring them to the hi-beams. Like most, I used a separate switch.

16. Dec 16, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Here was my idea.

diagram_e49cece8b2dd4dbf37c76d7b34c67805135624fb.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top