1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why does noone make sliders with steps?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DevL, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    You know the molded in steps on nerf bars are really great. Nerfs are way too weak for my uses. All the sliders come sans molded in steps... why does no manufacturer offer REAL sliders with molded in steps? I would love to have this option... I dont care if the step was almost as high as the door. It would help short people climb in instead of jump and would allow you to step back to your bed or jump away from mud you are stuck in. This just seems like such a simple and easy idea and noone has offered it... why?

2. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Look at N-Fab in Tx, they make step bars that are pretty solid. Or go with one of the fab vendors on here, I'm sure they can gen you up something. I recommend Avid. Brandon is a solid guy to deal with.
    Cheers

3. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Sliders are usually made of round or square tubing. If you 'notch' steps out of them, it removes the strength. The whole idea to having rock sliders, is for strength. Do you realize, rocksliders are strong enough to lift your vehicle up with...that's the whole purpose. Aside from that - you could build some with notches in them, but they'd probably cost twice the cost without.

If you want steps...the N-fabs have steps in them. Or go with some Square tube sliders from Demello. They're falt and easily made into steps. I used them on my 96.
    http://www.demello-offroad.com/catalog/

4. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    DevL

Member:
    I have seen uncut nerfs with steps... they are justed dented flt on top for a portion. The same could be done with DOM tubing sliders... theyd still be strong enough.

5. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    gtrotter

gtrotter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interlake, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular cab 4x4, ARB's, 4.88's, bumpers, 2017 DCSB SR5 stock,2008 Reg. Cab 4x4
    locker,mud tires, lifted, toolbox
    Try this...take flat plate and weld onto the top of the slider, maybe somewhere around one of the legs so you can weld a perch to support the plate. Take a no slip paint or grip tape and apply on top of this flat plate so you won't slip. There ya go, a step.

6. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    DevL

Member:
    Yeah that sounds like it would get filthy with all the nooks and crannies and look like ass (no offense to your idea). I had some nerf bars on my previous jeep and they were easy to step on and keep clean but they did not hold up to the vehicle's weight and hung too low. I dont want something that has any sacrifices or drawbacks. The only things I think that might be compromised would be a little weight for thicker tubing and cost. I honestly think people would buy them if they existed. Is it the plastic plate section is too expensive for anyone not mass producing? Do they not have a generic version that builders can buy?

7. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    You could notch out a piece of square tubing to fit over the round of the slider with the top of the square about .25" above the top of the round slider. I think that could look pretty clean if you did it right.

8. Jun 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    can't you just step on the sliders? Do you have a picture of your idea?

9. Jun 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    DevL

Member:
    [​IMG]

This style of step, no cutting the tube but bending it for the plastic step to fit... but on a real slider. Sliders are round and slippery. I slipped off my round section of previous nerf bars, as well as friends' round sliders. This prevents slipping, does not scratch from stepping on them, and cleans up easily with a spray washer. This step style is very common on nerf bas but not on real sliders.

10. Jun 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Put some grip tape or herculiner on top of a square tube slider and just step on it. I use my sliders as steps all the time...No issues.

11. Jun 27, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    DevL

Member:
    I have seen grip tape wear through badly and herculiner fade and hold dirt really bad. What do you have on your sliders to aid stepping? I might do some bedliner on the top half of a round step if what I want is impossible to make.

12. Jun 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I don't have anything. I used a matte paint so wet slipping isn't an issue. I'm cognizant of the smaller space and just climb in and out.

I like the NFab steps-but having those bars hanging down would make they more or less useless as sliders imho.

Products Discussed in

To Top