1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why don't Tacomas have electronic MPG data?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seligman, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    i only have one good example, the back up camera. why - because its very useful. parking, trailers, etc. thats why it there.
    the MPG data? - not useful, your still going to put gas in your truck when close to empty no matter what you MPG would show

2. Aug 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    The MPG reading doesn't have anything to do with when I fill up--I have a fuel level gauge for that.

I use the MPG reading on my scangauge to help me drive more economically in daily driving. I switched to a different route to/from work that I can take three or four times a week, where I am getting about four mpg better. If that was the only reason* I bought the SG, then my savings on gas from that one change would pay for it in about a year.

It would be nice if Toyota would put one on the truck from the factory--maybe a trip computer with a "miles to empty" readout. The mid-90s Ford Taurus company cars had those readouts...why not a fifteen-year newer Tacoma?

(* it is not the main reason I bought the SG, so I don't actually care about it paying for itself.)

3. Aug 22, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Eh, my loaner G35's had it when mine was in for service. TBH, I'd rather not have it, it's the most inaccurate crap on the planet. Plus, the 0-3mpg on acceleration makes me feel guilty and I just don't need that. I'd rather have the option for the $150 scan gauge that can read engine codes and do a ton of other stuff as well. That's me though.

4. Aug 22, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I think the term is idiot light, because a idiot light gives no reading while a meter give a useful reading not a useless reading at least that was how it was splained 2 me during the short period of my life when I was open minded. Maybe the reason they don't give you a lot of stuff that comes on other vehicles is cause Tacoma has such a good rep that they don't have to and charge U extra for everything and make more $.

5. Aug 30, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    NuovoTech

NuovoTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    For those folks with SGII, where do you think is the best place to mount them? I have a base model 4x2... :D

6. Aug 30, 2009 at 6:09 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I considered several locations--on top of the steering wheel, above the rear view with a "Blend mount", below the radio panel, on the dash to the left of the steering column.

But someone's post on one of these boards intrigued me, so I tried putting it in that little odd pocket that is about at your right knee on the dashboard. It works great! It is almost completely hidden from view from outside the truck, but I can easily see through the steering wheel and read the left two gauge numbers from my normal seating position, and if I look a little more directly I can see all four gauge numbers.

7. Aug 30, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    NuovoTech

NuovoTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    Since I have a regular cab 4x2, not sure mine has that pocket?

Products Discussed in

To Top