1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why have a locker with 4x4? and **snow**

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RoboT3kn1Q, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Dec 14, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    Thats very true, the only problem is I'm leaving for Alaska in march, and I currently don't have any transportation except my 03' ninja (which is fun...just not when it's cold). And this dealership has two trucks with exactly what I want, except i like the sports color better than the off road, but i dont dislike either color. And I just don't know if I really need the off-road package. Thanks for the help though guys I'm kinda just thinking out loud at this point because this is my first new vehicle purchase and I like hearing all of your opinions.

2. Dec 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Dude, Alaska? Off road should be a requirement. Tell Gov. Palin I said hello, she'll know who it's from.

3. Dec 14, 2008 at 6:31 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    haha, will do

4. Dec 14, 2008 at 6:44 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Whats the problem getting them where you are?

I had almost every choice available on one lot or another in my area. Salespeople were on me like flies on a rib roast immediately after entering each lot to look around.

What color are you waiting on?

5. Dec 14, 2008 at 6:53 PM
    Cobra69

Cobra69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts (Massachusetts)
    Vehicle:
    02 Tocoma TRD Expedition Setup
    2002 Tacoma TRD Access Cab, Deckplate Mod.,Grey wire Mod.,Cobra CB,Ext. Diff. Breather,E-locker rear only for now,CBI Custom Winch bumper, SAW 2.0, All Pro 5" leaf packs+Bilstiens 5150-10" shocks,Cooper STT 285x75x16 on Wheelers Type B 16x8 rims, Budbuilt front+Mid skid plates, Custom transfer crossmember+skidplate,Trail-Gear sliders,custom roof-rack,Ultimate-air CO2 tank,4-Hella 500 H.I.D. Lights,Atlas 10,000 lbs winch. Custom Half-doors for the summer.
    If your buying a truck for Alaska.........I would absolutely go with the Off road package. With this you have the ability to engage the locker if and when you need it for any situation you might have gotton yourself in............NOT having it and being in a sitiuation where you need it would REALLY suck. Especially up there.......I lived in Alaska for a while believe me I know.

6. Dec 14, 2008 at 7:01 PM
    Cobra69

Cobra69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts (Massachusetts)
    Vehicle:
    02 Tocoma TRD Expedition Setup
    2002 Tacoma TRD Access Cab, Deckplate Mod.,Grey wire Mod.,Cobra CB,Ext. Diff. Breather,E-locker rear only for now,CBI Custom Winch bumper, SAW 2.0, All Pro 5" leaf packs+Bilstiens 5150-10" shocks,Cooper STT 285x75x16 on Wheelers Type B 16x8 rims, Budbuilt front+Mid skid plates, Custom transfer crossmember+skidplate,Trail-Gear sliders,custom roof-rack,Ultimate-air CO2 tank,4-Hella 500 H.I.D. Lights,Atlas 10,000 lbs winch. Custom Half-doors for the summer.
    Oh and keep and eye on the TTORA national board.........in the Tech section. I'm sure somebody has already figured out how to make the locker a selectable.

7. Dec 14, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    someone said earlier in the thread that the locker will only function under 5 or 10 mph, but im gonna go ahead and tell ya that i have had my diff locked running 35 to 45 mph before(on dirt of course...cow pastures) with no problem at all.

8. Dec 14, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    DefJeff

DefJeff Member

Member:
    I don't think it'll make a big difference between the locker and lsd. If anything i would prefer the lsd because the locker doesn't let it slip at all. And with an lsd, as soon as it gets out of control it's pretty much locked up.

I live up "north" in canada and drive big rigs in the rockies, and i'd say the most important thing is getting snow tires. i know it sounds obvious but in the oil patch, they just run mud tires year round.

and if you get stuck in a snow bank, lockers won't matter, front or rear. i'd invest in a tow sling, i just got some and they aren't expensive. and if you don't want to get those, try tire chains. but snow... is brutal, i'd rather be stuck in mud.

btw, it was -34 last night, lol.

9. Dec 14, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, you should only engage your locker at under 5mph but after it is locked (and you are going more or less straight) speed away!

I would go for the locker though. eventually you may have to replace the lsd clutch.

10. Dec 14, 2008 at 8:13 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    Well there is LSD on both off-road and sport in 09', and I won't have to worry about replacing the clutch because it is brake driven LSD unlike the prior versions before 09'. I think DefJeff is right, LSD should be fine, especially since I don't plan on doing a whole lot of serious off-roading. Plus I like the looks and color of the sport. BTW I work outside on airplanes...and -34 does not sound fun!

11. Dec 14, 2008 at 8:19 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i've run my locker at speeds WAY above 5mph without incident...theyre designed to be engaged at low speeds but you can run them much higher...tho the handling of the truck will change...

and if youre concerned about having to take the time to put the truck in 4lo etc etc...theres a mod to change that where you can engage the rear elocker in 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo

12. Dec 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM
    DefJeff

DefJeff Member

Member:
    Are you moving to the coast or inland?

-34 isn't that bad. as long as you are dressed for it and you keep moving//working. it's the wind that really gets you.

and as for offroading.. in snow, in alaska. if you have to walk for help when it's that cold out....

what ski hill are you thinking of? Alyeska? Meaning you are on the coast... It's not that cold there... :) unless it's eaglecrest... or moose... or anyways...

13. Dec 14, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    RoboT3kn1Q

RoboT3kn1Q [OP] Member

Member:
    Im moving to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage

14. Dec 14, 2008 at 8:48 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    From what you described you would be better off with the sport :D

15. Dec 14, 2008 at 10:31 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    The 09 doesn't have a real LSD. It's activated by the brakes. That's why the off road can have both. I don't know if the sport has a real LSD, but yeah.

Go with the Off Road. Its what I have, and I love it.

16. Dec 14, 2008 at 10:39 PM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    Man, I'm having flashbacks with all this talk about LSD....:eek:

17. Dec 14, 2008 at 10:46 PM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    locked = Equal amount of Torque applied to Each Axle.
    LSD= Sends power to the wheel that is slipping, but not all.
    Open diff= one tire wonder.

LSD and Open diffs work best on Snow and Ice, Fact. I say get the Sport, unless your doing fair amount of wheeling in Alaska?

FYI OE selectable locker mod. Search "Grey wire mod" on TTORA, or PBB. With that mod you can engage the locker at speeds under 70mph I think?

18. Dec 14, 2008 at 11:37 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Just get whatever style you like more. You won't miss having a locker if you've never had one. With LSD it decides when to lock, not you, and it's usually brief: lock, free, lock, etc. With a locker, if it begins to hinder your driving/steering you just turn it off; but you also have to stop put it in 4lo and hit the button to engage it (unless you do the 'grey wire mod' which allows you to engage the locker whenever, though you need to slow to 5mph to let it engage, then you can go as fast as you want once it's engaged). I got the off-road TRD because of the locker. I've had lockers in jeeps before and have found them to be essential in gnarly terrain, and they save you from thrashing through stuff when you can just lock it and crawl through.

Either Tacoma will do great, they are both awesome trucks. Besides, I only know one person from Alaska and she drives like a 1985 4banger tacoma with a million miles on it and she said it did great up there... you'll be stoked with either one.

19. Dec 15, 2008 at 3:10 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    on the new tacomas is not really a grey wire...but the concept of doing it is similar...

the actual mod allows you to lock the elocker in 2wd, 4hi and 4lo...but you still have to slow to 5mph to engage it so as not to break anything...

20. Dec 15, 2008 at 3:59 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    get the Offroad. it comes with the elec. actuated limited slip now, so you can use that for most situations. but, if you get hung up, or the elcetronic nannies take over, you can engauge your locker and turn off all the electronic crap, which sometimes creates more problems than it solves. do the locker mod as described above. this will allow you to have both wheels in the rear spinning whenever you need them. an open diff (8.0 rear end is open unless locked) is better for regular snowy road travel anyways...better to spin one wheel than to spin both and have your rear end slide around on ya. (True LSD, in the sport cannot be deactivated).
    a set of tire chains would probably be a good investment also.
    hope this helps

Products Discussed in

To Top