1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why I bought a 4-banger Taco

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by "OldManTan", Jul 20, 2009.

1. Jul 31, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    But would you pay more for the diesel than a V6? How much more?

With the crazy low pollution standards for diesels in 50 states, the engine's a $4~5k up charge option. Give people that figure, and you can see why automakers stay away from the diesel engines in the US.

2. Jul 31, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I agree with you when it comes to cars, but I think people would pay more for a diesel Tacoma. At least they do in full size trucks. GM's Duramax plant is at maximum capacity churning out an engine that is a $6,000 premium over a gas engine. Cummins and Powerstroke engines sell well too. Maybe in the compact truck market it wouldn't work out, but personally I believe it would. JMO.

3. Aug 1, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07, Dodge Ram 35004x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6M
    X2!!

4. Aug 2, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    I think some would... but probably not enough to recoup the cost of the engine. Besides those that would like diesels in trucks and small cars, the market is pretty much ignoring diesels - even BMW has thousands on the hoods of their awesome 335d.

Besides, the greenest of automakers (if you believe the hype) Toyota would rather sell you on a hybrid!

5. Aug 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Check out the link below- think our 4 bangers are tough, long lasting, I understand this motor is bullet proof...

http://www.dieseltoyz.com/Toyota_diesel_conversions.html

6. Aug 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    What a pile of BS. My company runs a fleet of fullsize, short wheelbase vans. They all get 11 - 13 Mpg city, 14 - 17 Highway. Thats data from 8 vehicles, not B.S. from some goof on the net.^^^^

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 4:24 AM
    sriley727

sriley727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg cab PreRunner SR5
    Bone stock
  8. Aug 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM
    alextdunn

alextdunn Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    san Diego
    Vehicle:
    05, 4cly, base, Xtra cab, 5 lug lift
    ready lift 5 Lug lift, bed lights, 400 watt inverter, scan gauge II, AFE pro Dry s, second air filter removed
    [QUOTE="OldManTan";785982]Are you kidding? Towing a camper at highway speed with the shit ethanol blend we have in my wonderful state. Considering I average atleast 6-7mpg better than my 4.3 chevy and I swear this 4 cyl is more powerful! LOL Although I could get 17 out of my S-10 towing the same setup if I behaved too. I towed with my wifes Xterra, and only got 12.5 mpg. That gets consistently 18-19 mpg not towing. But those 260 horsies rear their ugly heads if you step on it!! Damn I love that truck too!![/QUOTE]

i had that same s10 long bed with the v6 4.3 and would get 22 all around on trips 25+ with a load and going 70. i got a light foot. this is in cali with the 15% ethinal when i would drive to AZ it would be better.
    god i loved that truck lots of memories.
    sold it with 199,000 mi. and a full 20gal. tank.

9. Aug 7, 2009 at 6:00 AM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Why did I buy a 4 cyl?
    - the only Tacoma on the lot, and it's price sticker indicated 36 mpg (imperial) highway
    - it was an access cab as opposed to a regular cab
    - bed height perfect for my use (scuba gear)
    - Tundra was too tall, awkward bed access, 30% less fuel economy

in hindsight - I'd do it again. Really wanted the Tundra, but every time I fill it, I remember how much more I'd be paying. Also be fighting to get stuff out of the back of the bed if it were the Tundra. Yep, happy camper here (or diver I should say)

10. Aug 7, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    coma09

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    For that kind of $ you could drive the Tacoma for 60,000 kilometers, or 40,000 miles.
    So - say, 2 years.
    Diesel fuel is often cheaper than gasoline, so add another 10%

Used to have a Jetta turbo diesel. There was no price difference over gas engine .. however the turbo was a $1000 option. I got amazing mileage with that car. Had it 10 yrs. Every 2nd year I'd have to replace a glow plug or 2.
    Other than that .... oil changes.

Diesel pickup? - absolutely would have one .... however the differential, if any, in cost would have to make sense. The Duramax engine is all about torque. If you are pulling a 5th wheel, or horse trailer, or whatever ... you just can't beat a diesel for the feel and ease of towing power over a gas engine. That's why GM can cleanup on that option ... not that it's $6000 (usd) more expensive to manufacture.

""But would you pay more for the diesel than a V6? How much more?

With the crazy low pollution standards for diesels in 50 states, the engine's a $4~5k up charge option. Give people that figure, and you can see why automakers stay away from the diesel engines in the US.
    I agree with you when it comes to cars, but I think people would pay more for a diesel Tacoma. At least they do in full size trucks. GM's Duramax plant is at maximum capacity churning out an engine that is a $6,000 premium over a gas engine. Cummins and Powerstroke engines sell well too. Maybe in the compact truck market it wouldn't work out, but personally I believe it would. JMO.""

11. Aug 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    GM partially can charge a lot for the diesel option, because they offer old tech pushrod gas V8's. With Toyota's engines lasting for the life of their vehicles, you lose that longevity advantage the diesel has in a GM. As well, the slightly better mileage, would never offset even a 4K premium. Besides, if they did it, everyone on here would complain that it wasn't powerful enough, or didn't get good enough mileage. (going 85mph...)
    Or we could all calculate mileage like ALEXTDUNN, who really thinks his old S10 got 25 mpg, at 70, under load......

Here's the ridiculously optimistic ratings for both...(Canadian / Imperial)
    Mileage ratings for S10 19city 26highway
    Tacoma 24city 31highway
    20% better in the Taco, and best of all the interior isn't designed by Fisher Price!!

12. Aug 7, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" [OP] Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    Not sure how you had the same s-10 as me, are you a stalker?? LOL I had a S-10 ex cab with the zr2 package. I loved the truck, just not the repairs. The nice thing was that if you behaved, it towed at almost the same mpg. The best I ever got on that truck, NOT towing, was 19.7 on the same trip I took. And that leads me to my next reply...

13. Aug 7, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Took me a little while, but I have that answer. 25.6 mpg. Again I tried to behave, keep it at the speed limit, and fill the tank the exact same way each time. I did have an aluminum trim brake in the back with the tailgate down, but cap door shut on the way there. I don't believe that would affect much if anything.

Just one question to who replies on this post with goofy mpg #'s? Do you actually divide miles traveled by the amount of gas used (the correct way)? Or do you pull one of those, I got 150 miles on a quarter tank (which can have a huge margin of error)?

14. Aug 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Hey I liked the fisher price interior in my s-10. It was the $6k in repairs in 3 yrs (fortunately covered under ex warranty) that I didn't like!! LOL And somehow did not get the 25 mpg engine!!

15. Aug 8, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    why do people always want to justify the extra price paid for a diesel in a truck? I guess if you drive it around like a car and have no need for a diesel option, or truck for that matter. I can see buying a car with a diesel option, and wondering when the extra money spent will pay for itself, but when you buy a truck with a diesel you should have a need for it, which will be the justification for the extra cost of the vehicle. Got a big boat, trailer, tow heavy loads regularly?, then the need for the diesel may be there and the extra costs is just the cost needed to do the task at hand. :cool:

16. Aug 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    coma09

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    4wd also has parasitic 'drag' of 2nd diff, CV joints, and transfer case - even in 2wd mode there's more stuff turning, even if it isn't being powered.
    Gear ratio, higher stance & associated windage on extra drivetrain.
    They all add up.

I honestly think the difference in mpg between the 2x4 and 4x4 has to do with the 4.10 rear end standard in the 4x4. Mine (PreRunner with 4.10) is rated the same as a 5-lug with a 3.31 rear end by the EPA, but there is no way possible they could have the same F/E...[/quote]

17. Aug 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    coma09

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Actually, 2wd auto access cab Cdn sticker mileage is 36mpg.
    I have had a 31, 32, and 33 mpg tank-fulls, strictly highway.
    Typical combined driving is 27 mpg (imperial gallon).

Agree with you it'd be hard to recoup $ based on mpg with a diesel in a pickup considering the diesel engine $$
    VW however managed with their Golf/Jetta.

Test drove a Canyon with I-5 engine. LOTS more power than the 2.7L 4 in the Tacoma. It was unuseable power though. Spun the tires anytime you 'hit it' in town. Found conering was much flatter in the Tacoma. Tacoma much quiter than the Canyon. Not to forget mentioning the ride in the Canyon was more like a tractor.
    GM certainly hasn't produced a winner in that segment.

The Sierra/Silverado is another story, but not the same class as the Tacoma. And yes, I'm biased since I worked at the GM factory for 24 years. However I'd put the C/K product against any other brand and know it's the hands down winner. Ford's maybe close ... Tundra is also a great product. GM still has the edge, but is losing ground. Ford's always been a great truck. Toyota is begining to get it, with the new Tundra. Problem right now, despite all the advertising - is you just can't get a regular cab GM unless you order and wait 4 months. No wonder GM is f*&(ed. Ford is no better for availability. (Cdn market is all I can speak for)
    One would think contractor trucks are in demand... yet none to be had.
    Only extended/crew cabs - power, leather, etc.

As fate has it, I wound up buying the Tacoma, and am a happy customer to date. Dealer had it on the lot.

18. Aug 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    I get around 23 - 25 Imp MPG. Driving without trying making a point of getting good mileage, no cargo.

19. Jan 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC

Products Discussed in

To Top