1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why I hate Fords.......

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by chris4x4, May 31, 2008.

1. May 31, 2008 at 7:14 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    You dont need stopstix for them-just toss some rocks in front of his ride:D

2. May 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    you know...seriously...if my dept were authorized to pit someone...id be afraid to on some of these rides...either my front end would just slide up under his rear bumper and not hit anything or there would be an insane rollover crash

3. May 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Nope--I have fond memories of at least three Fords, so although I've never owned one personally, I can't hate them. My grandfather's baby was a red Fury (okay, Plymouth technically, but Ford more or less) that ran forever in spite of him taking it apart regularly just for fun. Hubby had a Pinto Wagon and a Granada when I met him, and they both ran forever, not to mention all the good times we had in both--I wouldn't try to stand on the hood of my Taco, but both of us danced on the hood of the Granada--literally! We used to joke that Yugos were made from old Granada doors. :) I won't even get started on the Pinto--the back might not have been entirely comfortable, but it was the version of the wagon without windows....y'all do the math...LOL! :cool: That thing could move too! First time I ever felt 110mph was in that car. Although that might have been the mustang engine that replaced the original that he blew.... :D

4. May 31, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I believe Im a ford fan too... Havent personally owned one. But my father has owned many, and just about every single one ran like a champ and never quick. The best one, I loved, was his big f-350 4door LB, jacked up with exhaust and the works, I believe it was a 79'. That thing would raddle the house windows just at idle.:) It was great...Though it did get shitty mileage.

5. May 31, 2008 at 11:34 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    nah....i still like fords........just that i like the old fords alot better than the new ones. i absolutely hate the newer f150's...........look like ass and are way under powered. i had an 02 f150......good truck, but then the tranny went out 1k miles after my extended warranty ran out(75k warranty.....tranny hit the shitter at 76k:rolleyes:), and ford wouldnt help me out at all. and it was 2 weeks before christmas........so i said hell with them. went to toyota and havent looked back since. best move i have ever made.

6. May 31, 2008 at 11:37 PM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    Wow! that really sucks..
    On another note. We have a 1986 f250 that still runs great

7. Jun 1, 2008 at 8:18 AM
    Bakemono

Bakemono Wrath of the runbird

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x2
    Same here. I will always love Toyotas, but Ford makes good trucks. Ive got 176,000 miles on my F-150 and (knock on wood) its still going strong.
    I think its easy to come up with stories complaining about Fords just because there are so many of them out on the road. Ford sells more trucks in 1 month than Toyota sells in a whole year. More of them = more potential for people to have problems.
    Its kinda like the same problem Toyota has had lately. Now that Toyota is making as many vehicles as Ford and GM are, you are seeing Toyota have just as many problems as Ford and GM have.

8. Jun 1, 2008 at 10:27 AM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    I love the look of the F-250, 350 SD! freakin mean lookin with a lift! I looked at F-150's, Silverado's, and Sierra's before I got my taco and noticed ford trucks have two looks... loaded, expensive, and bad ass or cheap-o work truck... maybe the sales guy just showed me contrasting vehicles he barely spoke english (arab dude) and could not figure out pricing for my ford x-plan.
    Sometimes I wonder where they get these salesmen, after the ford lot we went to toyota and the service sold the truck although no special pricing through (ford x-plan or GM partner) work kinda sucked.

I check out lifted super duty's like hot chicks!

9. Jun 1, 2008 at 7:54 PM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    I bought a brand new 96 (I think it was) Winstar for the wife & kids. About 3 years later I bought a 1999 4Runner (first Toyota).

One day, the wife calls and tells me she had a flat with the Winstar and somebody had installed the spare. She asked me if she should bring it to the dealer for a new tire. I said no - bring it to Cosco and get 2 new tires installed on the front. I get home that night and there is a 'loner' Winstar in the driveway, so I knew she had gone to the dealer, and not Cosco (she generally accepts the advice of anybody over me).

Anyhow I go in to 'discuss' where she bought the tires. She said "I went to Cosco, like you said and the guy looked at it, and called the dealer. The dealer was really nice and came and towed the Winstar, and they are going to replace the tires and fix everything at no charge. And they gave me a loaner in the meantime."

Now, I am not as stupid as I look, so I figured this wasn't just a flat tire. I went to the dealer. The front spring had self destructed, ripping the tire to shreds and taking out the brakes. She had just left the highway when this happened (up here average speed is about 70 - 80 miles/hour) and I have no doubt she would have lost control (along with most of the braking), and probably killed herself & the kids if this had happened a few minutes earlier.

I found a website which listed recalls. I found out that model of Winstar had more recalls that Toyota had had in its history. In particular, this problem was a known safety defect, which amazed me, since I had just had it serviced at the dealer. So I called the dealer. He said that recall was 'fix on failure' (presumably if you survived). Anyway I gave him a piece of my mind for not even mentioning it.

Then I went to the local Toyota dealer and bought a new Sienna. When the Winstar was ready, my wife drove it to the Toyota dealer as a trade in.

Last Ford I'll ever drive. They learned nothing from the Pinto.

10. Jun 1, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    05PreRunner

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    Wow, ...glad you guys are ok though....

11. Jun 1, 2008 at 8:04 PM
    05PreRunner

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    These'll make you guys happy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Jun 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I can't hate fords my dad has owned one since 80' and she is still going. Over 900,000 miles Its a 1976 F-250 heavy duty. Been a welding truck all its life, and rode hard. Lots of mud and hauling 1 ton of equiptment every day for years. 460 bored 60 over with a 298 comp cam.

13. Jun 1, 2008 at 8:19 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Yea, but by the time you got your date home was she complaining? :cool:

14. Jun 1, 2008 at 8:24 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I couldnt get a date in that car. :eek:

15. Jun 2, 2008 at 4:02 AM
    gOnedrivIng

gOnedrivIng Member

Member:

I like Ford Trucks. I love mine at least. more than 96kmi, running strong.

:)

16. Jun 2, 2008 at 2:31 PM
    Bakemono

Bakemono Wrath of the runbird

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x2
    Yikes. At least no one got hurt. The Windstar is a POS, always has been. Infact, the Windstar is currently being investigated by the NHTSA for fires. Apparently the Windstar uses the same cruise control switch that was involved in that big recall.
    Ford makes good trucks, but their cars suck. Always have and they probably always will.
    Ive driven Tauruses and Ive driven Camrys. Even the best Taurus couldnt hold a candle to the worst Camry.

17. Jun 2, 2008 at 3:32 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I can't say I hate-em, but I don't care for Ford. To their defense, however, My buddy has a 90 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer Edition and it's a tank. Also, in stock form, it holds it's own offroad.

18. Jun 2, 2008 at 5:40 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Have owned 2 Fords that I really liked. The first one was a 1st year 1986 Taurus. The car was the bomb. It was so far ahead of the competition(even Japanese) in driving dynamics, composure, looks, and had a decent amount of power. Got good mileage and turned heads for about 2 years until they became common on the road.

My first year Focus Hatch was a hoot to drive and YES, very reliable as it was Hecho en Mexico. Not near as many problems with them. The car had near telepathic steering. The 2.0L Zetec revved nice and made good sounds. The brakes could be easily modulated right to the edge of lockup time after time. The shifter and clutch were so smooth and the interior was very well appointed with quality materials. Made a big mistake trading for a 05 Accord. The most boring car ever made. Great motor and tranny, But the rest of the car was so average, you could fall asleep on a 25 mile commute.

Here is my theory on why Ford cars fail.. They put really good interiors and drivetrain parts during the first year or two of a new design. Then after the good press subsides they start cheapining up the cars for profit. By 1991 the Taurus sold 400.000 units a year without trying, so why make them good. Take the profits.

In 04 I drove a same level Focus as my 2000 and it had been so stripped, cheaper shifter, greasy clutch, hard plastic interior ect, it was hard to believe it was the same car. They even stripped out the sound insulation.

My 2 cents

19. Jun 2, 2008 at 5:45 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Great read 91:) never had those points of views on those two Fords! Very enlightening-especially the Taurus!! Like I said befor EVERYBODY has a Ford story in their life of some sort.

20. Jun 3, 2008 at 12:31 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    truer words were never spoken...

Older Ford trucks are awesome! My first vehicle (it was actually my dads, i just drove it when i turned 16) was a dookie brown Ford F100 302 V8. it was the most basic truck you could buy. AC wasn't even an option. that thing lasted forever with very few issues, i loved it. Of course new Fords are a different story.....

Products Discussed in

To Top