1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why isn't there more info on ADS suspension?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by geoff325, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Mar 20, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    In case you are interested here is a link to their story. They have their own sister company ADS Mach which has all of the machining equipment's so they make everything in house as well.

https://www.adsshocks.com/

Biscuits likes this.
  2. Mar 20, 2018 at 9:19 AM
    Comatose

Comatose You snuff it, we stuff it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR Indy Ink
    Missing Critical Hardware Edition
    That means you! I bought mine from HS! You guys helped out with my end decision of giving ADS a try. Will PM you.

3. Mar 20, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sounds good. I will do what I can to help and get a response as soon as I can :D

4. Mar 20, 2018 at 9:43 AM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Do you happen to have a link to the guide that you are referring to from Icon so I can see if they have something similar?

5. Mar 21, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    UmbrellaTaco

UmbrellaTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    14 AC 4WD Taco
    Can you explain this a little more? I was thinking about getting the ADS ext travel coil overs, and I can’t find set up instructions on them

6. Mar 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    riz_atx

riz_atx #bigpermtaco #teamBP

Member:
    First Name:
    Sohail
    Spicewood Texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 4x4 DCLB GFC Locked, Geared, Tuned
    C4Fab/RCI/BAMF, ADS, 4.88, Lockers, OVTune
    From what I could tell, they go in like other coil overs. @Texoma installed them for me so maybe he can answer any questions you may have

7. Mar 21, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    Comatose

Comatose You snuff it, we stuff it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR Indy Ink
    Missing Critical Hardware Edition
    They are legit bolt and go with an alignment unless you add on the remote resi's. Torque the tower bolts and LCA bolt to stock specs. Ask headstrong what the initial adjustment is set to and make sure you measure ride height before you install them.

8. Mar 21, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Set up? Or install? Install is basically like all the other CO's. Res mounts to the front with the sway bar mount, rear I think I remember drilling a hole in the frame to mount. Set up, I'd recommend calling ADS and asking them about max preload per the spring height and weight. I couldn't find anything clear on this subject.

9. Mar 22, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    UmbrellaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    14 AC 4WD Taco
    Thanks. And HS said the extended come preset at 2.5. What I’m unsure of is, can the extended travel be set to higher than 3 in? Compared to standard travel.

10. Mar 22, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    That depends on the allowable pre load based on the height and weight of spring. They usually don't come maxed out, so achieving more lift is possible, but it depends on a few factors such as front end weight, coil spring size and weight, and what UCA'S you'll have.

11. Mar 22, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    UmbrellaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    14 AC 4WD Taco
    I was going to go with 700lb coil and I’m currently running SPC LR UCAs. I figure I get the 700 because I want to get a bumper down the line.

12. Mar 22, 2018 at 12:54 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    You'll want to decrease your pre load to almost nothing til you get the bumper if you get 700# coils

Comatose likes this.
  13. Mar 22, 2018 at 6:40 PM
    UmbrellaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    14 AC 4WD Taco
    Correct me if i’m Wrong, you say I should decrease preload till I get the bumper, because the more preload I have, without an actual load on the CO , will give me a stiffer ride? Sorry, I’m trying to understand the meaning of preload. I came across this tread that explained things a little for me, might be useful to some. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/fox-2-5-coilover-pre-load-questions.494917/page-5

14. Mar 23, 2018 at 3:45 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    The stiffer coil will hold the weight of your truck up higher and the ride will be rough

15. Oct 24, 2020 at 11:34 PM
    crhsharks12

crhsharks12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    ‘06 Tacoma 4WD TRD Sport DCSB 4.0L V6
    Icon 2.5 coils/2.0 rear, Camburg UCA's, Icon AAL Springs Softopper & BA Bumper
    Are they really a switch up though? I mean, I have icon shocks, and my car rides just as well as my buddies in fox shocks. What could possibly be so much better about these? How much different is ADS compared to Icon?

16. Oct 25, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    They all ride different in different situations. Its personal preference. I like the way my Icons reside better than when I had Kings.

crhsharks12[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 25, 2020 at 9:50 PM
    crhsharks12

crhsharks12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    ‘06 Tacoma 4WD TRD Sport DCSB 4.0L V6
    Icon 2.5 coils/2.0 rear, Camburg UCA's, Icon AAL Springs Softopper & BA Bumper
    Exactly. It’s too hard to say. The only real way to compare, would be to have 6 entirely stock tacomas (base models) and have one have Icon, the other king, the other fox, the other ADS, the other Radflo, the other Bilstein and go from there lmao.

too much is at play. And honestly these shocks have different purposes off road. Unless of course you’re talking about on road performance.

but yeah, I’ve never been in a truck with kings. I think icons ride better in my truck than my buddy’s
    Fox’s. Never been In A truck with anything else

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Texoma[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top