1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why LEDs should not be run in Halogen reflectors

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by crashnburn80, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Nov 23, 2021 at 2:01 PM
    BLawruk

BLawruk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    CVC Tune, 265/75/16 BFG KO2's, Rough Country flush-mount tonneau cover, LED bed lights, OEDRO running boards
    I have the projector housings in my '21 OR. I've read so much about LED's, HID's, and why they all (or most) just plain suck, pro's, cons.... It was literally information overload over a 2-week span. I didn't know what to do. I almost said eff it and was ready to click the BUY button for 2 sets of LED bulbs (with anti-flicker cabling), which would have cost about $800. I ended up cancelling that and did what I probably shouldn't have done. I drove to the local parts store and bought a set of Silverstar ZXE Gold halogens. Why? I don't know, I just know I needed better than stock up-front lighting that won't in any way blind oncoming drivers. Looking at these pictures - is there a difference? SLIGHTLY. Is it whiter lighting? BARELY. Am I happy with these? Not really Though I would LOVE to get stock LED headlights/housings I can't justify the cost for 'em Before and After.jpg

2. Nov 23, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    slowlane

slowlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    What was it that was gonna cost $800?

3. Nov 23, 2021 at 2:49 PM
    Toy_Runner

Toy_Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5
    3" OME lift, heavy coils f/r 3/16" steel skids Modified Coastal Offroad diy bumper 5spd swap ('98 donor)
    Buy a set of Philips H9 bulbs, same as what your highbeams take. Use a set of small sidecutters to trim out the plastic tabs in the plug base, and the "top" metal locking tab, then ckean the bulb with isopropyl alchol. Massive upgrade. See the 3rd gen headlight upgrade thread for crash's test numbers.

Dfpftw likes this.
  4. Nov 23, 2021 at 2:58 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    This thread covers reflectors, like 2nd Gen. For your 3rd Gen, see the 3rd Gen thread. As mentioned the Philips H9 swap is the highest performing, or the Hella 2.0 Performance H9s if you want slightly whiter light. Silverstars are not as great as they seem. The best plug and play H11s are from Tungsram, with their Platinum, Nighthawk Xenon +120 or Megalight +130.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/3rd-gen-hid-vs-led-vs-halogen-h11-projector-headlights.589465/

BLawruk[QUOTED] and steelhd like this.
  5. Nov 23, 2021 at 3:04 PM
    BLawruk

BLawruk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    CVC Tune, 265/75/16 BFG KO2's, Rough Country flush-mount tonneau cover, LED bed lights, OEDRO running boards
    From the Headlight Revolution site...
    GTR Ultra Series 2.0 - $220 x 3 (hi,lo,fog)
    Anti-Flicker harness - $55 x 3

6. Nov 23, 2021 at 3:04 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Keep preaching @crashburn80. We are all learning a lot. And every day there are millions of fools wandering the internet trying to figure out how to do something really ignorant with their headlights and to oncoming motorists. Maybe some will stumble on your threads and learn to be better.

7. Nov 23, 2021 at 3:20 PM
    BLawruk

BLawruk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Thank you very much!

8. Nov 23, 2021 at 3:32 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    GTR is owned by Headlight Revolution, their advertising to promote their own product brand is very misleading. Those are some horrible LEDs, one of the worst designs and lowest performers in that thread. See the review in post #2816 here.

Don't put replacement LEDs in your fogs, it will result in glare, which will not be good for oncoming drivers as well as reflect light back at you in fog and have a low performing pattern. You should replace the entire fog with an SAE LED assembly. Below is the SAE LED fog thread covering most the options, the best performers by far are the Diode Dynamics SS3s linked at the top.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/

9. Nov 23, 2021 at 8:38 PM
    slowlane

slowlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    Good God! I'm glad for you, that you didn't waste your money.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  10. Apr 26, 2022 at 10:20 AM
    Milky

Milky New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Sport
    Eibach 2 inch front Headstrong Off-Road 3AAL Ironman4x4 Skid Plates
    Have you tried the Philips Nightguide Platinum? if so how they compare to the Megalights 130. I tried searching the original 3rd gen thread but couldnt find it

11. Apr 26, 2022 at 3:36 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I'll bring this over to the 3rd Gen headlight thread, posted here. Lets continue halogen bulb conversations over there.

12. Sep 4, 2023 at 2:08 PM
    redneck_adjacent

redneck_adjacent Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4 W59 MT
    5 PSI supercharger 3" lift Bilstein 5100 shocks Old Man Emu springs General Spring leaf springs with 2" blocks and extended shackles 31" Firestone Destination XT tires LCE header and catback exhaust HPS CAI Tundra S13WE front brakes KC HiLites flood, ditch, fog, and backup lights Eaton Bussmann relay/fuse panel with custom power tray All Pro bumpers, sliders, and skid plates
    Thank you for posting this thread.

No one will care about this personal anecdote but I nevertheless think it is worth sharing since it illuminates (pun intended) the problem here.

I have a rare, genetic condition called Behcets Disease. My sister has it quite rough. She deals with stomach ulcers and the rest of the vicious symptoms associated with the disease. By contrast, the only issues I have are vision problems. My grandmother also displays poor vision. I have many floaters in my eyes, and I have poor night vision. I frequently bump into things around the house. I rarely go out for drinks anymore because it is hard for me to navigate the room without tripping, falling, missing handshakes - many embarrassing moments have unfolded in my lifetime. It is hard to explain to someone why I can't grab drinks after work but I won't moan and complain.

Driving at night is hard for me. When someone retrofits LED bulbs into OEM housing, I can always tell.

The glare from these lights can be so aggressive that, sometimes, I need to pull over, close my eyes, and wait until it's safe for me to drive again.

Frankly speaking, a big part of the reason why I am investing in steel bumpers and forced induction is so that I can be protected in the event of a collision and, crucially, find space on highways far away from other people - more precisely, far away from aggressive headlight glare. Last night is a great example. I did absolutely everything I could to get as far away from other people as possible; but some teenager in a ricer trailed me since I played the de facto role of "rabbit" on the road.

These days, we hear a lot about people's handicaps and personal problems. I don't mean to add to that monotony. I deal with my problems just like anyone else.

My point is simply that you all should reflect on the contents of this thread (pun not intended). There are people on the road, like myself, who aren't merely annoyed by aggressive headlight glare; they are impaired to a degree that driving can be unsafe.

I know that aftermarket LED headlights can sometimes get pricey; but please give the investment some thought.

13. Sep 4, 2023 at 11:54 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    eurowner likes this.
  14. Dec 29, 2023 at 6:02 PM
    Okkine 2.0

Okkine 2.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport, Lunar Rock
    I removed those annoying stickers on the sun visor.
    Very informative read!

Thinking out loud here... this has me wondering if you could use something like the @Diode Dynamics TIR optics to simulate the filament of a halogen? Something like a frosted fiberoptic filament to direct the light into an omnidirectional pattern?

15. Dec 30, 2023 at 3:11 PM
    TacoEngineer41

TacoEngineer41 Lighting Test Engineer (3rd Party Lab)

Member:
    Northern & Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Still not going to be legal per the CFR/FMVSS108. Currently how to get DOT approval for halogen reflector headlights is by testing with the same type of bulb as a benchmark and pass the luminous intensity requirements over angle in the spec. For an LED, it must be tested as a fully integrated system. Heatsinks, primary optics, secondary optics, etc.

I do believe that the CFR should be updated to at least allow LED replacement bulbs to be tested in halogen reflector/projector housings and then there should be some sort of list of the approved assemblies with those specific bulbs. If they pass, then they pass. The reason there isn't one now is because it would be a PITA for the government to create such a list.

Another thing is that there are slim pickings on manufacturers/brands who actually produce good halogens anymore. As a testing lab engineer for lighting products, its very hard to find the benchmark bulbs to use anymore to compare these assemblies if one to blow or just degrade. It can take 30 lamps to find the one we're able to use based on external dimensions/tolerance, filament dimensions, or a tight lumen output within that tolerance as well. The quality just isn't what it used to be.

Products Discussed in

To Top