1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why should I buy a '09 Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ihonzawa, Jul 19, 2009.

?

Which model trim would you prefer if you were on a budget?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2009.
  1. Tacoma Standard Cab w/AC package

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. Tacoma Access Cab w/SR5 pacakge

135 vote(s)
    92.5%
  1. Jul 19, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver Streak Mica Regular Cab 2.7L 4x2
    Planning on a TracRac Pro rack system and HIDs.
    Hello all, I'm indeed new to this forum but familiar with online automotive forums. First off, as far as my background goes, I currently own a '07 Mazda3 but our family have been strictly Toyota owners. ('85 Van, '89 Cressida, '91 Previa, '07 Prius and '07 Corolla) Our Previa just died and we are trying to take advantage of the government rebate for junking non-fuel efficient vehicles usable towards the purchase of a new vehicle. Since everyone in the family is driving, the Previa was used for transporting home improvement materials, yard work, etc.

We are looking to take advantage of the "junk" money towards a 2nd gen Tacoma. My father is looking to spend the very minimal as possible and is looking at the 2.5L I4 2x4 Tacoma Access Cab with the SR5 package. He would have gone with the Standard Cab but the absence of power locks and windows deterred him from considering it.

The problem now is that he got suckered into the Nissan Frontier King Cab SE with their $3000 instant rebate. As far as specs go, the Frontier has very similar specs with the exception of having a 2.5L I4. I honestly think the Tacoma has better build quality and the feel of a true pickup. I've driven a Frontier and really wasn't impressed at all...

Basically, I need some help to convince him to go with the Tacoma. Any features or specs I can highlight for the great debate? Thanks everyone.

These are the two in consideration.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jul 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    The Frontier is not a bad truck. I'd say the 2 are pretty evenly matched. This only real difference is the 4 cyl engine...and it's not a huge difference...but still a plus for the Taco.

Taco = 2.7L, 159 hp and 180 lbs. ft. of torque
    Nissan = 2.5L, 152 hp and 171 lbs. ft. of torque

3. Jul 19, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    4x4 Double cab all the way. You wish you had it later......

4. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Have your Dad make the "deals" come to him..DO NOT be bashful...These guys need to move inventory and may the best "truck' win....
    Toyota has a GREAT reputation ,product and following BUT Nissan is trying...I would like to see him/your family in a TOYOTA but deals are made/lost on the showroom floor....

Good luck and welcome to the best Toyota "Hideout" on the "Net"..

Snoope back quiet

5. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    Niknaq

Niknaq Phightin Phils 2008 Champs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4wd 2.7L Regular Cab
    Dumped exhaust, 35 % factory tint, kobalt slim line toolbox, afe pro dry, toyota all weather mats, fog lights soon.

i believe she said something about a budget.

6. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Haha, 4x4 would be nice, but I'm having a hard enough time convincing him that he needs power windows... Although I live on an island, everywhere we go is well paved. I have a cousin on a neighboring island that drives a lifted '05 4x4 prerunner and goes off-roading every weekend. We were running through mud pools and loose sand. It was awesome.

As for staying on topic, does anyone have and ideas for uhh, winning my father over on the Taco Access Cab?

7. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    rhion82

rhion82 El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    TN/GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco
    Well I was in the same boat as you are since dad bout my taco for me for a graduating present. I spent as much time as I could with him (sucking up to him). And about after a month of looking at trucks we found mine. Ever since he bought me this truck I have kinda left him behind which makes me feel bad about it.

8. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Did you make sure the new vehicle fits the MPG requirements for the government program?

9. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Aloha no kakou!

My Ohana is from Maui, Grandma and uncles still stay there.

Anyways back on topic, I'd vote for a Taco not only cause I own one but because I believe in value and dependablity. If I'm not mistaken the Nissan trucks will rust out faster, being on an island with all that salt will do much damage to your truck. I had a Nissan literally fall apart on me. After that, once a month, I'd wash and wax my truck and put a sprinkler underneath to clean off all the salt. I don't know where you live but unless you stay up country, I'd say your gonna see some salt. Anyways, Toyota's reliabilty and resale value speak for themselves, not to mention when you have an issue, just jump on board and we'll help you out! Oh and the access cab will allow you to fit more stuff in da back! And stretch dem legs!

Rob

10. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    x2 Previa gets about the same mileage as a taco. :cool:

11. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Haha, no ways! We live in Wailuku so we still get the salt spray. I take care of the cars for my family. (wash, claybar, wax) I drive my mazda around, but I wouldn't mind taking the truck to work. (work the graveyard so the truck will be back before he needs it) I'm really hoping for the Toyota... I'm trying to get him to think about keeping his toolbox in the access cab's back. I'm gonna steer him towards TracRacs and maybe buy some OEM alloys off of craigslist. Seems like it's the norm these days on Maui to have a pickup and TracRacs ever since AirGas Gaspro started selling em. All the mokes wanted um but neva use um.

12. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Okay, we looked up via the epa.gov's site for vehicle MPG and the combined MPG was 18MPG for the Previa. (16 city/20 hwy)

The Tacoma gets an average of 22.5MPG (19 city/ 26 hwy for the 2.7L atx)

Under the House bill, car owners could get a voucher worth $3,500 if they traded in a vehicle getting 18 miles per gallon or less for one getting at least 22 miles per gallon. The value of the voucher would grow to $4,500 if the mileage of the new car is 10 mpg higher than the old vehicle.

And we recently sold my sister's '02 Maxima and that will be used towards the new truck as well as the rebate.

13. Jul 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Well, it's weird really. This will be HIS truck. For his home DIY and yard work... I just want to see him drive something nice for once. He always scraped the bottom of the barrel when it came to cars and options. He went by a strict nothing over 20 grand policy and stuck with it until we got the Prius in '07. I think power locks/windows with keyless entry would be nice, not to mention the reverse camera for when he drops off the scrapped materials off at the landfill. (he has a bad depth perception) I'll probably be taking care of it until I move out, but I don't mind at all. Just want to see him live his retirement in a little "nice-ness".

14. Jul 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Awesome, try do da sprinker trick, it will do well to save da undabody! TracRacs are cool and will be very useful, yeah remind him of the good use of space in the back. Put dark tint and it'll be hidden from dem sneaky buggahs!

And you should know, being on Maui, you see way more Toys than anything, so the rep should speak for itself! Tell pops no scared um go get um! But I'm sure Servco is not dealing like the Nissan dealers and there's a reason why, the Toyotas are in much higher demand, rightfully so, good luck!

Rob

15. Jul 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    LED tail lights - ohyeah, it's the bling :D

Checkout JD power surveys, consumer reports (since their both asian, the bias they have won't matter) anyways, other consumer reports publications.

Then test drive them.... I drove a GMC Canyon - rode like a tractor. Had a lot more power but all it did was spin the tires. More road noise, and didn't take the turns as flat. Not as comfortable.

You can't possibly make a decision without test driving both.

Would you get married without a test ride? .... ;) rest my case...

16. Jul 19, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Funny you mention it. He "threatened" the Toyota dealership back in '88 to go to the Honda dealership to buy an Accord while expressing no particular interest in the Cressida. He settled for under 20 grand and drove off with the Cressida. We may try using the Frontier as a bargaining tool...

17. Jul 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, we might buy from Oahu because the only Servco here sells da Lexus and Suzuki's. We only have the Maui Toyota stealership here. At least $2000-$3000 markup above MSRP. Of all the years my parents have lived on Maui, not one Toyota has ever been bought from Maui Toyota. even the Prius AND Corolla. haha...

18. Jul 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    We sold my sister's Maxima on cragslist in under 2 hours from posting. The buyer offered what we wanted in cash, picked up the car the next morning and we were done. He didn't even want a test drive. lol. But in all seriousness, he'll take a test drive, or two, or maybe even three at different dealerships. For him, the price is what determines handing over his check. I just want to plant that seed in his mind that the Tacoma is the better buy...

As for the taillights...already tried. He said, "Why do I care about what people behind me see?". He had a point...but I agree, nothing beats those OEM Toyota LEDs. The Prius simply blinds everyone. Even those 4-runners. Wows.

19. Jul 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Damn I forgot, too bad the super ferry is no longer...

Yeah, they got you nailed on Maui, much less Hawaii. I used to ride bikes for years and would laugh when I went into Harley dealerships only to see the $5999 sportster was "marked up" to $9000! What? You nuts cuz! Before the reg taxes my Pake dad bought our car in Oregon and shipped it back home! I hated living with the "mark up" in Hawaii! $3000 more cause I live on an island? Please...

Rob

20. Jul 19, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Okay, after pointing out the excellent points of the Tacoma vs Frontier battle, a decision has been made...

My father decided on a 2009 2.7L I4 2x4 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab w/SR5 Extra Value Package with Additional Options $1,165

-Remote keyless entry, cruise control, variable-speed wipers, chrome grille surround and rear bumper, color-keyed front bumper & overfenders (PreRunner and 4x4 models), fog lamps (V6 models), sliding rear window with privacy glass, metallic-tone instrument panel trim, leather steering wheel with audio controls & shifter (A/T models only), sun visors with mirrors and extenders, backup camera [5] and auto-dimming inside mirror with monitor, SR5 badging

Grand total estimate through costco.com was $20,495.00 including packages/transport fees. He'll be bringing the quote costco emails him within the next few days and shop around with local dealers for the best price.

He decided on Super White and I agree with that color as well. Provides a nice contrast with the black grill and bed. Well, thanks everyone for all the help. It really helped me push him over against that Frontier.

[​IMG]

Looks like you'll have a new Taco World member...
    Mahalo from the Valley Isle!

Products Discussed in

To Top