1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why so far under blue book?

Discussion in 'Tundras' started by Sugar Silva, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Sep 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    Sugar Silva

Sugar Silva [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Kings Sliders TRD Rock Warrior Wheels Tint
    So my dad is looking to sell his 07 limited 4x4 crewmax with only 63,000 miles. KBB shows "Good" trade in value at 28k. The thing is pristine having always lived in a garage etc..

We got two offers today. The Honda dealer offered $23,000 and the Toyota dealer offered $20,000

It does have an accident on the carfax but no frame damage and everything was repaired the right way. I know this has a negative impact on value but that much?

Anyone else having troubles with low trade offers? I'm going to list it on the trader next week and see how we do.

2. Sep 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    lwszabo

lwszabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR double cab
    toyota dark satin alloy wheel Tint OEM bed mat
    An accident really hurts, a lot of people will not even consider buying a vehicle with an accident from a dealership.

3. Sep 20, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    Sugar Silva

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Totally get this however the private party "good" KBB shows $32,000. Anyhow, he's looking to downsize to a CRV or RAV 4 and I'm really hoping he won't have a car payment. Wish me luck.

I wasn't really expecting the full blue book value but I at least thought it would be close.

Also, the Honda dealer gave us a vehicle history report but not a carfax. It stated there were no accidents. I guess this explains their higher offer but still 5 grand off of trade in book seems nuts

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  4. Sep 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    All dealers low ball. They are generally willing to negotiate and meet in the middle.

5. Sep 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Because they have to market it and make a profit when it sells, in a week or in 3 months. Pay bills, employees, taxes, insurance, etc.

If you don't like 23k, don't take it. Sell it private party. Sounds like you're in a hurry though, so likely you will take what they offer. Before you think you're getting ripped off, remember the truck was yours to do with what you want. If you decide to take 23k for a 32k truck that's all on you.

6. Sep 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    It was still in an accident. They have to sell a vehicle that has been in an accident which isn't an easy sale.

I think you're not looking at nuts and bolts of this business transaction. Used car. Been in an accident. 7 years old which is right on the cusp of being able to be financed or not, and that's without an accident history, so with this truck that's been repaired it.might be hard to finance or impossible to. Bank won't loan money if they risk losing it, and they won't offer to lend more than they deem it worth.

Blue book values vague, and inflated since each car is completely indifferent and their system doesn't allow for realistic appraisals. a human needs to appraise your car if you want realistic numbers. Regardless, trading your truck in is the easiest part. The dealer who buys it has far more work ahead of him than you are seeing.

You don't seem to have told the Honda dealer that its been in an accident but left it up to.them to find out, which they did NOT see in their history report. That is shady on your part. Them selling it with the same report is fraudulent on their part.

You shouldn't get anywhere near KBB or Edmund's values for your vehicle and you shouldn't expect to either.

7. Sep 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    JLee50

JLee50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    Stockish 99 4x4 TRD
    ToyTec coilovers
    That is not necessarily true. Edmunds says my truck is worth $2,536 and I have people lined up to buy it at $5k (and it's not for sale)...

8. Sep 21, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Higher or lower, internet appraisals aren't reliable or trustworthy to actual street value. At the end of the day, your truck is worth whatever someone will pay you for it.

You'd sell it for $7500 right? :)

9. Sep 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    JLee50

JLee50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    Stockish 99 4x4 TRD
    ToyTec coilovers
    Ah, I misunderstood - I thought your implication was that internet valuations are generally higher than what you will get.

And yeah - I would probably sell, but only because it's worth ~$5k and I'd just buy another one, haha.

10. Sep 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I guess inflated wasn't the word to use, online appraisals are distorted.

11. Sep 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    Sugar Silva

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    I know every situation is different but when I sold my Tacoma private party I got $200 over excellent blue book. When I sold my moms Wrangler I also got over excellent book. And that's going off private party book. That's why I expected it to be at least semi close to "good" trade book even with a mark on the carfax.

Anyhow, we are not at all in a rush. I'm going to detail the thing this weekend and take pictures then list it. If it doesn't sell for enough, because you're right value is defined simply by what people are willing to pay, he will just keep it. No biggie

Also, I'm not a shady individual and would never try and hide something from a potential buyer. I was simply getting an idea of what to expect on a trade so I don't consider it shady to ask for an appraisal and not disclose every single thing about the truck to a dealer I'm 99% sure we won't sell to.

12. Sep 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Not saying you are shady. Just saying if you hand the title and keys to someone in transfer of ownership and that party isn't aware the vehicle was in an accident while in your possession, THAT is shady.

That was all. A good scrubbing really helps perceived value sometimes a that's definitely a worthy effort.

13. Sep 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    Sugar Silva

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Yeah I hear ya. Well wish me luck. I've never had trouble selling toyotas or Hondas private party in the past so I feel good about it.

Plus, honestly guys I'm really excited about this tacoma I have on order but if my dad decides to let his tundra go for 23k I would be tempted to jump on it

14. Sep 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I don't know if anyone said it but KBB is junk they lost cred a long time ago..

15. Sep 22, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    Sugar Silva

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    I guess I should clarify. I went into this 90% sure I would ultimately sell PP but I like to start by getting a couple trade offers first. The offers we got were just lower than I had anticipated. You never know, every once in a while they surprise you. Plus I like knowing in the end how much better the PP sale ended up being.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  16. Nov 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM
    Sugar Silva

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Sold it for $25,500

17. Jan 22, 2015 at 2:14 PM
    MnToyGuy

MnToyGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD sport
    Actually, here in MN most Toyotas sell above KBB. My buddy is an insurance agent and says that cringe anytime they have to total a Toyota out, since market value is so much higher.

Most dealers here will give you straight KBB for trade in.

18. Feb 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM
    greguw

greguw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Bucks County , Pa
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX450
    Most do sell retail above KBB . I just played musical trucks this past month .
    Every dealer is different , you get better deals if you trading at a dealer that owns the same brand . I traded two 2013 toyota trucks at a GMC dealer that also owned a toyota dealership right own the road .
    I made a better deal there . Most dealers dont want anything over 5yrs at the max.
    The old saying stuff is only worth what some is willing to pay . Tundras , Taco's 4runners there allways in demand . My buddy owns a toyota dealer and most people are trading junk .
    He was telling me they actually call auctions and see what stuff ran threw that day .
    I bought left overs and got good deal on both my Tundra and Tacoma , put some miles on both and still only lost 5k combined but made that back in tax because I bought a new GMC denali diesel so the tax was a wash .
    I use to own a car lot years ago , the car business has changed .

19. Mar 14, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    numbnuts22715

numbnuts22715 New Member

Member:
    A little older, and a little late to reply to this thread, but dealers are notorious for lowballing, BIG TIME. When I bought my Tacoma I traded in a Tundra, a 2000 model but I couldn't get them to give me more than 2k trade in on it. They turned around and had it posted for 7k+. Not sure what they sold it for, but I looked up the vin a few days later and apparently they sold it, so it went pretty quick

20. Jun 13, 2015 at 9:59 PM
    Sugar Silva

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Yeah they vary a lot. Anyhow, glad we got $5,500 more than the Toyota dealer offered on the trade

To Top