1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why so hard to find a used Tacoma?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Quagmire, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jun 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    Hollywood22

Hollywood22 Wranglin the Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
    I looked for a used and descent Tacoma for 6 months. I live in Southern Ontario and I found that the only ones that people were trying to sell had serious problems. Perhaps you would be better off doing what I did and go new. Found that was the best thing for me. You get the exact truck you want and it comes with a warranty. That is of course if it is in your budget. Happy hunting. Hope it works out for you.

2. Jun 20, 2009 at 10:07 AM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    Ahh, It's hard to get new if he has a budget. I wouldn't get newer than an 04 due to the way the 05's through current look. I think they are ugly ass hell. Just my opinon though...:) I would do just like I said in my first post. Have the cash at home (so you don't even need to stop at the bank), and keep looking on craigslist and other listing sites, as often as you can each day. As you know, some of these trucks don't last more than a few hours. Especially if it's a good price. Be ready when you make contact with the seller telling them "You Have CASH", and want to see the truck ASAP. Sellers like that. No BS waiting for payment, like a check to clear, getting a loan, or until your off on a weekend to come and look at it. Remember, Money Talks, BS Walks. Also, when you first make contact, request the VIN # from them so you can run a CARFAX check on it. Let them know you ARE doing that. I've had a few sellers back down, and then told me the real truth and that the truck had some issues that were NOT listed in the add. If the price is "to" good, there must be a reason.
    Run the check, then look at it ASAP.

3. Jun 20, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    damn nice truck right there

4. Jun 20, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    Quagmire

Quagmire [OP] Member

Member:
    Werloc you got some good points right there... I have someone looking at my Jetta right now so hopefully that will work out and Ill have cash on me. Unfortunately I can't go to long without a car.

A large factor of me selling my car and going to a Tacoma is the fact that I have some debts that I need to pay off. Once those are gone, so will the stress!

So I continue the hunt. Thanks again to everyone for all of the help and suggestions!!!

5. Jun 20, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Trust me I know. I'm in the very same boat. My Jeep blew the engine, not worth fixing, now I have to drop off and pick up my wife at the train so I can use her car. Also going through hard times with money. That's why I had a budget for the truck. I was "Lucky" to find exactly what I wanted right down to color. I just had to search and wait for 6 weeks. I now have the truck parked in my driveway, but so tight on funds, I won't have the money to title transfer, sales tax, and register to put it on the road for 2 more weeks. Talk about torture. 3 weeks with a new truck that I can't drive yet....LOL Oh well, 2 more weeks to go. With all this rain, I can't even ride my motorcycle.

6. Jun 21, 2009 at 12:40 AM
    Quagmire

Quagmire [OP] Member

Member:
    How do you live man?! :D

The day will come when you can take that first drive and enjoy it!

Now I just have to find something to stare at!

7. Jun 21, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, At least I drove it home from Maryland to NJ, about a 3 hour drive. I was lucky the seller let me use his plates to get it home. Then I FedEx them back. I'm tinkering with it. Already replaced the radio, bought a new rear bumper which will be here next week. Doing a major cleaning on it. I got 2 weeks to go...:D It's been raining every day so can't do as much as it want.

8. Jun 21, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    Fly5465

Fly5465 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    I searched Craigslist, autotrader and dealer lots for almost 6 months to find just the right truck. No luck. So what worked for me was to place a Wanted ad on Craigslist. I listed exactly what I wanted, 00~04 xtra cab, 4x4 with TRD with low miles.

Within 3 days a guy called me and had the truck I was looking for. It was almost exactly what I was looking for. I say almost becuase I was looking for an automatic, and this was a 5spd. He was asking a very fair price and the truck was in almost perfect condition with low miles. I bought it the next day and love it!! Now, I'm glad I have the 5spd too.

Fly5465 in Az.

9. Jun 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    Quagmire

Quagmire [OP] Member

Member:
    I did that on Craigslist and got one person that wrote me an email.

I asked for any year, 4x4, no rust on the frame, and under 150,000 miles and 5spd, so not picky at all. I get an email, and everything is what I want until he mentions the miles, 245,000!!! WTF?! I know these things last forever but come on!

Products Discussed in

To Top