1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WHY the difference? Man vs Auto

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BSP4x4, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dec 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    Pyrite FD

Pyrite FD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road
    what is your gear ratio? dont think it would have anything to do with the man tranny reallly, im sure your overdrive gear is comparable .75-.85 is typical iirc

the rpms dont neccessarily matter if its higher, it has to do with power and fuel consumption. there is a range somewhere that is the most sufficient. it is just as possible to get worse economy if the engine is forced to work harder vs a higher rpm working easier ie people putting on much larger tires and not regearing. i do not know enough on the toyota engine though to guess what the most effeicent rpms are, other than the obvious 1800-2500 neighborhood.

you would think toyota put the correct gear ratio in your axle to achieve that at highway speeds...maybe they didnt though, but i would look there before i looked at your tranny. a manual transmission is more efficent than an auto.

you say your rpms are higher though, so what is the final gear ratio in the manual and auto transmission?

what is your axle ratio. autos are what 3.73:1 in most our v6? do you have stock tire size? tow package maybe effect this (4:10?)

if your final drive is too high though, an easy fix is a bit larger tire. otherwise id regear it pesonally.

2. Dec 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    All Tacomas with the 1GR-FE have a 3:73 rear ratio.

3. Dec 16, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    Pyrite FD

Pyrite FD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road
    really? even the manuals?

didnt know that....toyota=new to me.

thanks

4. Dec 17, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    no

XRunners have a 3.15

sorry had to say it lol

5. Dec 17, 2009 at 4:24 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale

thats just the tranny's gearing

the tranny's gearing plus your final drive will equal the drive ratio or whatever you call it.
    well its not addition or whatever. sorry i fail at being asian so my math is horrible

i think the main reason for the 6 speed having a lower OD is cause its more of a close ratio transmission, so its sportier and all that.

i haven't driven the 6 speed in a 6 lug, but in the XR its nice to have those gears in the city, their close together and a nice gear for every speed.

6. Dec 17, 2009 at 4:25 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    the 4:10s are for the 2.7 2TR-FE's, the 4 cyl 6 lugs

7. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    15 city 21 hwy religiously with my auto my buddy has a manual gets a little less but very close he has MTs though. the lower drive ratio is nice for running bigger tires his truck seems to pull nicer than mine going up grades

8. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    my last tank was at 15.4 mpg...mixed city/hwy

9. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    :lalala: ...I wanted the tundra, but I bought a tacoma for better mileage. Damn it

10. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I have a 09 DC 4x4 with 7K miles and I average about 17.5 mixed driving and 19+ hwy. The first few tanks were about 14-15 though.

11. Dec 18, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    Toymaker

Toymaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra RCSB 4x4 TRD OR, Black

The same here.

I've also noticed that the 4.0L V6 and 6 spd tranny are running noticeably smoother the closer they get to break in. In other words I think the roughness (or tightness) of the new engine is magnified by the rigid characteristics of the manual tranny whereas the automatic buffers this out better.

I too think, as others have already pointed out, the reason Toyota geared the 6 spd this way is for better towing/hauling capability without the need for too much downshifting.

I could have gotten the auto but i prefer the manual as it gives me more control over the truck and is more fun to me to drive. The mileage will get much better as the engine loosens up and gets older.

12. Dec 18, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    taco06

taco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    pomona ,California
    Vehicle:
    06 sprt
    I can't let the wife know
    I average around 16 too.I have a 4x4.Sucks big time. My old car I would get 30plus. Big difference and more money too :( but I love stick. I feel I have more control

13. Dec 18, 2009 at 11:39 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    I believe the secret to Toyota Tacomas automatic (in my opinion) has to be the AI logic built into the transmission. Basically it's a "smart" transmission that uses predictive logic to make decisions. So, their engineers/programmers designed it for use under normal driving conditions. Hard to beat the computer, you'd have to be a really good driver..

Conceptually speaking, since Toyota Tacomas don't use a CVT.. the auto should get worse gas mileage then the manual transmission assuming someone shifts the vehicle correctly. That is because the design of the auto transmissions are powered by hydraulics and not a direct drive and therefore have a built in energy transfer inefficiency exceeding 10% (this loss is thanks to the torque converter).

OK, I looked up what Transmissions we have in the 05-09 4x4 2nd gen Tacoma. It's the A750F. And here is some interesting info about it that backs up what I expressed above:

"Toyota Motor Corporation has developed a new five-speed automatic transmission (A750E/A750F) for longitudinal front engine rear-wheel-drive (RWD) vehicles. The development of this transmission has been aimed at improving fuel economy and power performance, achieving the world's top-level weight and compactness, while maintaining high torque capacity. In order to achieve this purpose, the gear train, torque converter, and other components are completely changed, and advanced technology has been applied. Moreover, this automatic transmission has achieved high- quality shift feel and quiet performance. This paper describes the major features and performance of this transmission in detail."
    SOURCE: http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2003-01-0595

14. Apr 13, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    mshelton

mshelton New Member

Member:
    What gets me in this the huge jump from 1st to 2nd.

I have a manual v6 excab 4x4 '00 Tacoma that I bought new and am in the process of trying to decide on a new Tacoma configuration. that gearing just looks "wonky" to me, yeah sure it's nice for starting off while towing something but these are small (or midsize) trucks that will spend over 90% of their time not towing anything.

I know I should probably get an automatic with specs like those and my useage but I just like a manual, been driving one for 20 years, no reason to change now.

15. Apr 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    My 06 auto gets 19 mpg with mixed city/hwy driving.

16. Apr 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I know this is an old thread but what's up with the op's profile? How is he a guest?

17. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    I think it's pure cheapness on Toyota's part. The six speed has almost exactly the same ratio spread (5:1), just a higher reduction level throughout. Even the Auto could pull a taller top gear, so the 6 speed is way outside optimum mileage rpm. Why buy the 6 speed anyhow? More work for worse mileage.....

18. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
  19. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    I was doing pretty badly when I 1st got the truck from my math 15-16mpg. Ever since I got the Scangauge and pay attention to my driving I've been pretty consistent at 19-21mpg over a tank. That is 70% city, 30% highway.

Products Discussed in

To Top