1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why the hell can't I sell my truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by tacomalex, May 7, 2012.

1. RBaptist

RBaptist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner 4cyl SR5
    Just as a point of reference - I bought a used 2007 2.7L Manual Access Cab Prerunner SR5 in 2007 from a Toyota Dealership for 17K out the door. They were asking 21K. I offered 19K and they said "NOT A CHANCE". I walked away and they called me back 3 weeks later. I told them I wouldn't even come back unless they would take 17K out the door. The rest is history. My point is that the dealer had trouble selling my 4cyl manual. The truck had 20K on it when I bought it and was in near perfect shape. The RIGHT buyer is there, but most people don't like manuals (I do....) and most people want HP that they likely will never use and lose a little gas mileage for it. The right buyer will come along at some point, but you may need to get below the 20K price point for a used car. Sucks, but the deals and financing on new are pretty good right now.

2. MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    Just trade it . Going to be hard to get over kbb. I just sold my Tahoe and it took 4 months and only got high blue book .

3. stumpman

stumpman Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    Vehicle:
    03 double cab, 01 double cab
    Why did u buy a 4 cylinder, 5 speed, was it because of price or did u prefer a 4 cylinder? If you preferred it, I would say you are in the minority, if you bought on price, well don't forget that now.The 2.7 is a fine engine as I put 160k on it. I currently have the 3.4 dc 4x4 and it gets the same or better mileage and love the 3.4 over the 2.7. My wife has the 4.0 in an fj cruiser and we love it. You have a fine truck but at the same time the least desirable among the majority.

4. MightyMouse-SCT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    15mpg is way worse than 23mpg

5. RBaptist

RBaptist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner 4cyl SR5
    ^^ Agreed on the 2.7 being a great truck. For normal driving and occasional hauling it is perfect. Especially if you drive a lot and want a truck. I hear 18-19 MPG on the V6 and 22 on the 4cyl (6 lug). It adds up if you drive a lot like I do. It's an extra 72 miles on a tank. Heck I had about 1500lbs in the bed last Thursday up and down hills and it didn't flinch. I've towed ski boats around too and it does fine. Have to down shift up hill occasionally but other than that - no worries. Not sure why they weren't more popular, but to each their own. Now if they ever get the turbo diesel worked out.....THAT will be an awesome ride!

6. zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    Oregon Territory
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    STOCK: DRL, Tow Package, All Weather Mats HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Color-matched Grille, Heated Wet Okoles, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails
    +1

It looks great, but there is a reason Toyota sells like 90% v6 Autos new. Most people dont want to wrestle with a manual or possibly underpowered engine when there are other options.

7. Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC SR5
    WeatherTech liners, Kenwood Media Receiver, Alpine S 6x9 speakers, Sound Ordnance 8" Sub, OEM running boards, OR wheels, Dynapro ATs, Tint, Bed Mat, Avid light bar, KC Daylighters
    If you want to sell it for $20K, you might remove the "No low ballers" from your ad listing the truck at $22K. I wouldn't bother negotiating with a guy who said no low ballers in his ad. To me it's the same as saying "price is firm."

8. maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I had no problem selling my old 4 cyl. 5 spd I listed it on Gregs list and sold it 5 mins. after the add was placed. The big tires, lift, headers etc. are screaming "this things has had the snot beat out of it" no matter how nice it looks.

9. The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SP... CaL
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD sPort
    5100's@1.75 Horns (Andres) Satoshi TRD cat back BHLM
    Go back to stock and it will sell

10. aillon

aillon New Member

Member:
    I just purchased a used Tacoma. 1- the mods make me think you beat the crap out of the truck. 2- seat covers look like they are hiding something.

Plus you talk about dents in your ad, tell them about it when they call. Finally, for 2k more you can buy a brand new one

11. NRXTM

NRXTM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2011 toyota tacoma
    yeah high price and the 4 banger prob turnes them off

12. MightyMouse-SCT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    Just read the ad . LOL . That's a Tacoma world ad .Not a real world ad. I'd Start over as its not a good ad . Don't list every mod. List mods that are factory . What I did was research other ads of a similiar vehicle and copy a good one and changed it a little .

13. Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not one single call at 23k OBO?

Apparently, 22k IS a bad asking price.

14. Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
  15. CayucosTacoma

CayucosTacoma Just think outside the Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
    Specs in the Build Thread
    Manual is definitely a turn off sadly.. Had a guy randomly pull up to my house, and offered me full asking price in cash, then he saw it was a manual and left.

16. bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Locker, Yaesu FT 8900 Ham Radio
    This is the main thing. The number of people who are interested in buying your truck as it sits is small.

You have to get the folks who want a fairly new modded truck, and don't feel the need to do it themselves, and trust you to have done a good job on the mods.

So - the main thing it's going to take, more than anything else - to find a buyer is the passage of time. Maybe six months or more. You're gonna spend some time selling it, and have to deal with a few tire-kickers.

And the main thing I'd change in the ad is the "no low-ballers" part. You don't want to chase away anyone who is potentially interested in your truck.

If someone offers you 18 - you don't have to take the offer. You can keep it in your pocket. "Man, if I haven't sold it in three months, I'll call you."

And, you can use that offer as leverage on the next guy. "Sorry man - I've already got an offer for 18. If I have to sell it for that - I'll give it to the other guy." And maybe you get an offer for 19 that way. And so on.

17. sevencities

sevencities Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    Shrockworks winch bumper
    I paid a little less than OP's asking price for a DCLB 4x4 V6.....

So yes, I'd say the price is too high. That is the problem with cars...people always want to get what they think it is worth.

The car is worth what somebody is willing to pay.

18. .28

.28 Taco noob

Member:
    First Name:
    miguel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Base 4x4 4 banger
    Maybe because its too close to what a new truck would cost? I don't know. Most ppl getting the 4 banger are specifically wanting the single cab. Good luck though..

19. tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 X 2 Regular Cab
    Chrome exhaust tip
    While the the truck is fairly priced between NADA retail and wholesale, the price does seem high, especially with two years worth of average miles on it. The "curb appeal" is poor. The lift, off road tires, painted wheels without center caps and baggy seat covers don't present well. Lastly, most people don't wanna' mess with a manual transmission. It's gonna' be a tough sell outside of other off road enthusiasts.

20. 98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    X2

To Top