1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why the hell does my Laptop always run sooo hot?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by RelentlessFab, May 25, 2010.

1. May 25, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab [OP] Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Hey guys, wondering if there are some simple ways to get my laptop to run cooler. I've seen the fan bases and crap, but dont want that bulk or cost. Just looking into a way to get my laptop to run cooler through settings/etc.

All I usually use it for is surfing the web(chrome), running itunes, and writing college papers in Word 2007, exactly what I'm using it for right now- and its way too damn hot! The problem is the CPU is right where my left wrist rests on the body while I type and it is just burning hot! I hate the way it makes my hand sweaty/sticky while writing my college papers and junk as its just really annoying and a distracting feeling. It usually runs pretty cool for a while after startup or restarting, but after prolonged use or not restarting it for several days it starts running hotter and hotter. Also, the hotter it gets, the slower and 'glitchier' it gets, which is also annoying....So what can I do to make it run cooler? :(

Computer specs:
    1 1/2 yr old HP DV2940 series special edition w/14.3" screen and running Windows 7 64bit
    AMD Turion x64 dual core processor running @ 2.1 ghz
    Integrated nVidia GeForce7150 graphics
    4GB ram (running 42% usage right now)

Thanks for any help. :cool:

2. May 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I am not 100% sure but I think the amount of heat that your laptop produces depends on what type of processor your have. Some just run hotter than others.

I bought a new laptop a few months ago and the sales rep at Bestbuy told me this. I ended up getting a Toshiba with the Intel Core Duo Processor because he said they run cooler. My old Gateway ran hot and made me sweat like a whore in church whenever I put it on my lap.

3. May 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    I don't think there is much you can do, to much crap stuffed together with little ventilation. Mine is the same thing gets hot as hell, I changed the hard drive to a Flash Card, now its better since the hard disk was located exactly were my hand rests while typing.

4. May 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    Memory, Hard Drive and power inverter also get crazy hot on most laptops.

5. May 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, i know that a lot is based on the model/brand of processor, as well as the amount of work its doing (definitely gets hotter the more multi-tasking you do) but I hate how hot it gets sometimes. It didnt seem to run very hot when it was new, but now it runs pretty damn blazing hot so to me it seems like there should be a way to change what applications run, etc to make it run cooler again... I just dont know how to do it. :(

6. May 25, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    mine ran SUPER hot for a long time.. so much so that if i didnt have it propped up on something so air could go under it, the damn thing would shut down. I took the battery out and used my air compressor and shot air throughout the whole thing.. a GIANT cloud of dust came out.. from that day forward, it runs quieter, cooler, and no shut downs.

7. May 25, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    runs hot because of me!!!! ha ha ha

8. May 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    True, bet its packed with dust. Didnt really think about opening and dusting it out.

9. May 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    i'd put money on it.

10. May 25, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    bigstik

bigstik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Terry, MT
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Debadged, Silver
    Smoked fog and tail lights, blue map and dome lights, gauge color change, stereo color change, aftermarket headlights (halos) (HID upgrade), satoshi grille mod, WickedFlow Max 13sc250 muffler, ultragauge. 3" rear 2.5" frnt lift/level kit.
    I had a similar problem with my laptop too.. it was running pretty hot and and it was slow as well.. so i took it to a friend that knows something about computers and she told me it could be due to too much used memory and viruses... so i completely cleaned up my computer and installed new antivirus and it runs a hell of alot better

11. May 25, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    All i did was removed the battery and the cd drawer thingie (it just pops out of mine) and in every hole i just used my compressed air and went to town.

12. May 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I do too.. with your mom :eek:

13. May 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Now if I keep mine on my lap or on the couch next to me it'll get hot because the intakes are shut off. On my desk at work it runs fine.

14. May 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    yah same with me. i try to not put it on a pillow otherwise i'll catch the damn thing on fire.. haha!

TRY IT! ..well actually it'd be way easy.. they didnt really worry about car theft back in the day i think..

15. May 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Mine is burning hot just sitting on my desk! :(

16. May 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Ventilation, CPU working hard, that's all.

17. May 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    ah Nam. I blew this arm off in nam. Yup. true story

18. May 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    A can of compressed air is your friend!! :D

19. May 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    ah i'm tellin ya - air compressor RIght now. Takes 5 mins! Or that canned air crap.. but it doesnt blow hard enough. if you dont have either, go to Best Buy and ask a geek squad guy.. they'll do it for free

20. May 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    :D :D you just made my night.... i was thinking about driving down to a store real quick and buying one of those little over priced compressed air cans, but you just reminded my of the air compressor/blow gun sitting in my garage. What was I thinking? :smack:

Products Discussed in

To Top