1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

why the overly complicated fusible link inside the accessary cigarette lighters?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by keakar, May 1, 2017.

1. May 1, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    keakar

keakar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    Toyota in their infinite wisdom, puts fusible links built into the back of the accessary cigarette lighter sockets.

I just spent an hour sorting it all out, finally to realize its a bad fusible link in the socket itself, the easy fix was to just replace the insulator washer with a regular washer to bypass the bad fusible link and fix it.

pretty sure its not like you can just go get any aftermarket socket to pop in there since it has to fit the housing to mount

it is separately fused, plus there is a relay on it for extra safety, so WTH, why add more failure points that require you take the lower dash out just to find the problem?

no question, just had to rant about it

2. May 1, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    any way, if any of you have one of the accessary plug stop working test to see if the tiny wire (fusible link) lost connection, if it did, just take it apart by undoing the nut and popping the insulator washer out to replace it with a regular washer and its fixed that easy.

they are both tied to the same wires so if both are out then its a power supply/fuse or relay problem, but if only one goes out, no need to look any further, the fusible link went bad in that one socket

3. May 1, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    There's a fusible link? Aren't the cig lighters fused at the integration module? I was in there the other day and it had a 15A fuse.

4. May 1, 2017 at 2:44 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    They're power outlets not cigarette lighter sockets. Cig lighter wont work in them.

5. May 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    yep, but mechanicjon is right, im pretty sure the power outlets are a little different in that a cigarette lighter wont work in them, so maybe the fusible link isnt on the cigarette lighters too.

if you look at the back side of it there is a tiny black wire looking thing about 1/8" long and that is the fusible link part of it

I found a video that shows it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SphvH4Kno

6. May 1, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toyota was out thinking stupid people you know the type that keep sticking a bigger and bigger fuse in until they're wondering why the dash caught on fire. The same stupid people will they babble on how they'll never buy another Toyota again while the fire investigator finds that a dime somehow fell in there. Half of engineering problems these days are related to making everything child and idiot proof

conroe, Wyoming09, cruiserguy and 2 others like this.
  7. May 1, 2017 at 4:31 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Yep

8. May 1, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    Accurate. People will do it with all makes too. It's funny, the 'complaints' I hear folks express of different vehicles, manufacturers, etc rarely are an actual defect in engineering or execution. It's usually lack of knowledge or experience on the owner.
    So, yeah, itchy nailed it.

Edit: going back over a few in my mind, especially on full size domestics since 2000 or so, I correct myself above from 'rarely' to 'usually aren't'.

Products Discussed in

To Top